HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:23 AM
Park City, UT
Joined Jan 2006
174 Posts
I build full scale military and commercial flight simulators for a living. Safety is of paramount importance and for the most part cost is no object and every conceivable permutation of how the user can screw up the system is taken into account. Somehow, however, they still do.

Obviously I am not excited about getting the dreaded "connection breakdown" and I hope I never do. In the mean time potential buyers are being "scared" into purchasing other products that are more than likely inferior to the iCharger line.
tribum is offline Find More Posts by tribum
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
I doubt my Hyperion Duo is inferior to it, nor my Thunderpower 610C.

I don't think there is any analogy between your "market" and this one, and I assure you that you will get the "connection breakdown" error: it is just a matter of time, in my mere opinion.

I think reasonable people can disagree about this sort of thing, but many of "us" have far more experience with this line of chargers than you appear to have, thus I believe "our" opinions are weightier.

I, too, was fat, dumb and happy for many months until the error popped up without warning, spark, no spark, or whatever.

I'll offer my opinion, again: less sophisticated users are likely willing to "pay more" for a superior, tinker-free product-I have in the past and I will in the future.

I, for one, made my purchase decision "primarily" on the experience of "Julez," who, ironically seems to have had a few issues of late and so far has kept silent on whether he would buy an Icharger, again, either intentionally or otherwise.

I'd find the opinions of "early adopters" of great weight while I sit here on the fence, waiting for Junsi to comment on or cure "the problem."

One last comment: "scared" implies a non-fact based, mere fear for one's decision, and, clearly, the "facts" are "out there" to support one's buying decision, pro or con.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Last edited by angelfood; Nov 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:37 PM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribum View Post
Alex, it is a Mean Well, look at the blurred red logo in the photo.
Yes.. but i meant there is no word or advertisement as it is a Meanwell, Mean Well or MN power supply. It is just a 350w switching PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batch1 View Post
I have the same PSU and am very satisfied with it

I am building this circuit : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...4&d=1232711446

Edit : forgot to add the photo

This way I will not stress the charger and it is easy and inexpensive to adjust the load (use your halogen lamp)

I redraw the circuit, it is easier to understand or see what is happening :
hm... i'm almost dumb in circuitry need an external help

PS. Junsi is here, Junsi is watching/hearing us:
# Last Activity: Today 09:36 AM (from profile)
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:52 PM
Quads Hexa Pixhawk PX4 500 600
Australia, NSW, Killcare
Joined Oct 2004
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik2000 View Post
+1 with a dead 1010B+ Was charging 10S 5A balanced charged. Exactly same effects as per your description.

I did send it to Shenzhen Junsi Electronic Co to get my 1010B+ fixed. Cost me AUD $40 + .. for the Aussie post..

Ah well we shall see how long this will take..

I maybe better of buying a 208B+ and charging my 5S 5A in parallel?

Anyway happy flying to all
I was told by the factory that they would exchange my 1010B+ as mine is burned beyond repair. That is good news. Hopefully I'll get my replacement before Christmas.

Happy charging to all
henrik2000 is offline Find More Posts by henrik2000
Old Nov 30, 2009, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2008
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik2000 View Post
I was told by the factory that they would exchange my 1010B+ as mine is burned beyond repair. That is good news. Hopefully I'll get my replacement before Christmas.

Happy charging to all
IMHO I believe this is why ichargers are the best. If the vendors didn't believe their product was good then they wouldn't support it. I have been following this thread closely and it seems that the vendors and distributors are more then willing to repair or replace the icharger line.
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
Old Nov 30, 2009, 04:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
By that reasoning, GM makes fantastic vehicles since.....
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:41 PM
Australia, NSW, Killcare
Joined Oct 2004
159 Posts
I use this power supply to the charger:
https://www.soanarplus.com/getProduc...?prodId=MP3802

I set it up at 15 volts.

All my batteries uses 5.5 mm bullet connectors.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0_pairs/set%29

I use Deans only for low current Rx batteries (2S 2.2A) and Tx batteries (3S 1.050A)

I made a 10cm (3.9 inches) 10 AWG link between the charger main outputs and the batteries. This to insure a very low resistance between charger and batteries.

I always balance charge (Setup to always) all my Lipo batteries.

I shall definitely follow the power up procedure:
1) Power up the charger.
2) Connect the balance port
3) Connect charger positive output to the battery
4) Connect charger negative output to the battery.

When my 1010B+ went "poof" smoke plus flames through the fan, it was charging 10S @ 5A for more than 20 minutes. (Logview didn't show anything out of the ordinary.) Was running 3.1 firmware version before the event.

Happy I was near the "event" and was able to stop the all process.

My 106B+ never gave me any problem. So I continue to use it waiting for the replacement 1010B+ to arrive from shenzen

question:

The input of the charger has 14 AWG 600mm (23.6 inches) long (including the 3.5mm banana plugs) cables.

Would it be better to have, on the charger inputs, shorter bigger wires? Say 100 mm (3.93 inches) 10 or 12 AWG?

Thank you in advance for your comments.
(I don't want to repeat the "smoke" event) so any good advise will be followed
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
David advises he is shipping a new 208b to me-best reason to buy from him!
I understand that you should not have to have this problem in the first place and junsi has admitted that there needs to be a firmware upgrade. If I get the dreaded connection breakdown my only hope is that my vendor does the same for me. I got the icharger because it was the best charger I could get for the money.
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
And, David is still the best for the money, too, but a perfect seller can't compensate for an "imperfect" product. Just my opinion.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:39 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Aug 2008
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
And, David is still the best for the money, too, but a perfect seller can't compensate for an "imperfect" product. Just my opinion.
I appreciate your opinion on the icharger, but please give your comments a rest. I've been watching the thread and you seem to reply to everyone's post.

By the way, I had a multiplex ln-5014 charger stop working earlier this year. Maybe it was my fault, but I don't recall doing anything to hurt it. I called multiplex to ask about repair cost and found they had a 2 year warranty. The charger was fixed and shipped back to me at no cost (and I didn't have to provide the receipt). Only cost to me was shipping of $5 or less to get the charger back to them. So it surely isn't only ichargers that stop working. It appears the ichargers are being repaired or replaced when they break so what more could we ask for besides a quicker and cheaper way to get them back for service?
chadr is offline Find More Posts by chadr
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
I would say a more reliable charger, but that would be a comment.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:56 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
uestion:

The input of the charger has 14 AWG 600mm (23.6 inches) long (including the 3.5mm banana plugs) cables.

Would it be better to have, on the charger inputs, shorter bigger wires? Say 100 mm (3.93 inches) 10 or 12 AWG?
In general, yes.

AWG 14 = 2.525 mOhm/ft => 5mOhm for 600mm
AWG 12 = 1.588 mOhm/ft (40% less resistance) => 3mOhm for 600mm

Assuming you are drawing 25A the difference in voltage drop is 50mV and power loss in the wires is 1.2W. Not a big difference but something to consider.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Killcare
Joined Oct 2004
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicomps View Post
IMHO I believe this is why ichargers are the best. If the vendors didn't believe their product was good then they wouldn't support it. I have been following this thread closely and it seems that the vendors and distributors are more then willing to repair or replace the icharger line.
In this instance the vendor is Shenzhen Junsi Electronic Co.,Ltd.
I like dealers like hobbycity when they say: We shall sell product directly from manufacturers to you. No intermediate will be accepted.

For once profit goes directly to the manufacturer and one dealer only.

The internet advantage shows that intermediate(s) take a large profit and do nothing for the product or for the modeller.
Removing intermediate(s) help more people getting into the hobby as goods are more accessible (20 to 145% less expensive).

That's my opinion, and I know that many like the shop at the corner where they can "buy on impulse" at two three our four times the real price.. That's fine for those who can afford it..
Truth of the matter, they are not the majority in our little village called "earth"

Happy charging
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:08 PM
Joined Oct 2009
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedebikes View Post
Gumpee, until the exact causes of the various failures are each known it would be hard to evaluate your strategy. I believe (but do not know) that in the case of a charge abort due to logs filling that powering off and back on would be beneficial. My own plan is to power off the charger after any charge is aborted by the charger. But if a charge completes or I end it with the stop button I won't power cycle it.

With many devices cycling power adds to their wear and tear. I don't know this is the case for this charger or the P350, but it is possible. I'd hope that one could cycle the power on them many, many thousands of times before causing harm. But without the insights of the designers or lots of accumulated test data we won't know.

Finally, it is perfectly ok, in fact recommended to have the charger powered on before making connections to a battery.
Thankyou Speedebikes for that thoughtful response. I think what you are saying is quite sensible and I appreciate your insight.
gumpee is offline Find More Posts by gumpee
Old Dec 03, 2009, 12:18 PM
Splash down counter: 10
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,110 Posts
An update to my 208b problem. Amainhobbies support took care of me. They seem to be taking care of handling iCharger issues directly which was a relief. I was able to send it in to them. I was afraid I would have had to send it in to China.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa