to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
SpeedEBikes
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
Why does connecting the balance leads before the mains "stop the spark?"
I expect the balance leads have a higher resistance path to the output caps which allows them to charge more slowly and not arc.
speedebikes is offline Find More Posts by speedebikes
Last edited by speedebikes; Nov 29, 2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:34 PM
SpeedEBikes
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Not trying to be difficult but if the recomended sequence is followed there is no spark. If it is not followed there is often a spark. The larger the cell count the greater the spark. It is my firm belief that the spark is causing the connection break errors and at times scrambling the memory.

Some of the earlier Hyperions had the same issue and changing the connection sequence stopped the problems and then a firmware update stopped the problem all together it would appear. Thunder Power also has a recomended connection sequence for their 610 I believe.

Charles
The spark is no big deal. It is caused by the output caps charging rapidly when the mains are connected. It is hard on the capacitors to charge instantly like that but it doesn't destroy them. Over time they may eventually degrade though.

But this had nothing to do with my case. I wasn't reconnecting the mains. They were already connected and the output caps were charged.

Also, there is no requirement to even hook up a balance plug at all. If you aren't charging lithium you don't even have one.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:34 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Quote:
Why does connecting the balance leads before the mains "stop the spark?"

That is only half orf the recomended sequence.

2. Connect Li batteries' balance port
3. Connect the main charging port's positive pole to cells' positive pole, and then connect negative pole to cells' negative pole (this will avoid striking fire while connecting Li cells)

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Well, I can't do that with Dean's connectors.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:43 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Not trying to be difficult but if the recomended sequence is followed there is no spark.
Charles
There couldn't be any spark as his main wires were connected all the time.
IMO, a charger that can blow up unless main wires and balancing wires are connected and disconnected in a specific order is a bad one.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:47 PM
Joined Aug 2008
485 Posts
Do you think its some thing like what happens when you lengthen the wire between battery and ESC? Example from Eric with ESC.
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:57 PM
jdr43
USA, AR, Bella Vista
Joined Oct 2005
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
IMO, a charger that can blow up unless main wires and balancing wires are connected and disconnected in a specific order is a bad one.

Fred
I couldn't agree more !!!!!
jdr43 is offline Find More Posts by jdr43
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:38 PM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post

Fred
This is exactly the point - especially when your read Charles' comment below that Hyperion had this problem too until they updated the firmware. Maybe Junsi will have to find out what they have done to fix it?

Quote:
Some of the earlier Hyperions had the same issue and changing the connection sequence stopped the problems and then a firmware update stopped the problem all together......

Charles
George
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:46 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Quote:
Well, I can't do that with Dean's connectors.
Well I can and have done it well ove a 1,000 times.

Quote:

But the balancing leads were disconnected and reconnected to another of the packs in parallel while the main leads were still connected.

Look I am only saying that suggested / recomended directions should be followed.

I also agree that a charger should be more fool proof and that it should make no difference. In fact one should be able to connect the balancing leads backward, connect the power leads backward and press start and have nothing bad happen.

I know of one such charger but I will not mention it here.

Some may be unaware that I have and have used rather extensively a large selection of chargers. I have beta tested more than a few and have a fair idea of what they should and should not do. Not so many post back I stated some of my views.

I guess I will observe from the sidelines and let the more experienced users figure it out. FYI I added a Cap to mine and it just caused it to run hot and shut down. Perhaps it is not an Atlanta Braves Fan.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 28, 2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:18 PM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
I guess I will observe from the sidelines and let the more experienced users figure it out. FYI I added a Cap to mine and it just caused it to run hot and shut down. Perhaps it is not an Atlanta Braves Fan.

Charles
I am sure everyone values your input Charles. I don't know of anyone who is an expert in all facets so we learn from each other. The input of some of the electronics wizards in these forums is excellent and no doubt has resulted in the multifunctions available on the iCharger. I can understand Junsi's silence if he is working on a permanent solution. There is no point in reporting here until he can say here is the fix (in the same manner as the company you mentioned in your earlier post).

George
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:59 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Deleted as I misunderstood the post I was responding to.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 29, 2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:44 AM
SpeedEBikes
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Well I can and have done it well ove a 1,000 times.

Charles

Charles, if you are plugging in the banana connectors last then that means they are already connected to the batteries. Exposed live terminals is a really bad idea. What angelfood is doing, ie connecting the deans connector last is a better practice.

If you are connecting the deans connector last but are making an effort to push it in twisted such that one terminal makes contact first, I'd say you are wasting your effort. If the charger actually required such a ridiculous thing it would be horribly flawed. And there would be lots of reports of trouble related to it.

I've seen no evidence of this.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:01 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
No one in their right mind would connect the battery to be charged power leads to the charger's charging leads with the banana ends exposed ,
Quote:
If you are connecting the deans connector last but are making an effort to push it in twisted such that one terminal makes contact first, I'd say you are wasting your effort.
Have you even tried?

... If you have a set of Deans Ultras then it should be simple enough to practice connecting them in a way that you first make contact with the pos. contact then the neg. contact. If you are using APPs or Micro Deans wired so exposed male on battery is pack pos. then other means must be used. There are safety Banana plugs available that are shielded,when not connected the contact is not exposed, one cold also use a single set of APPs in the chargers positive out put lead .

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 29, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
I lack the skill, interest or desire to attempt avoiding the "fire" with Dean's connectors. I'm getting less and less enthusiastic with Ichargers, and my days on the "fence" are probably over unless Junsi cures this very, very soon.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)