HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:29 PM
Joined Aug 2008
485 Posts
I must say reading these posts every day is starting to get me worried. I have the 208b and so far it has been a good charger. But knowing what I know I find my self walking on egg shells when using my charger. I put the mini disc that was supplied with the charger into my first CD ROM and it didn't read the disc. When I put the disc into my 2ND CD ROM it did read it. I know that CD ROM #1 is connected by IDE and CD ROM #2 is connected via SCSI. Not sure if that makes a difference but it worked for me.Both CD ROMS have and can read mini discs.
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
We are all waiting for "the answer" from "the engineer." Let's hope it gets here before Christmas.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:31 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
but, now, i'm on the fence and watchful!
+1 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
I also fixed a short on the big inductor to make sure that wasn't the issue, and to make sure it was safe. 2 turns were shorted to a corner on the inside of the upper casing. I dremeled out clearance in the case and added more kapton tape over the exposed copper. (See Pics)

Kev
Wasn't that a problem with the original 106B and 1010B that was supposed to be fixed with the B+ and later version ?? Kind of dissapointing to see that the issue has returned, I'll check both my 208B just to be sure.
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1
Old Nov 24, 2009, 03:13 PM
Indiana
Joined Feb 2007
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1 View Post
+1 ...

+2

Wasn't that a problem with the original 106B and 1010B that was supposed to be fixed with the B+ and later version ?? Kind of dissapointing to see that the issue has returned, I'll check both my 208B just to be sure.
I wish I had mine to check. My 208B still has not shown up at Junsi's door
Lost forever I guess.
If the unit was engineered correctly, it would not have failed, it would have been unnecessary for me to return it for repair, and it would not be lost in the China Postal System. (I shipped it 4 weeks ago tomorrow)

I only opened the case on mine once when it was brand new to fix the noisy fan. Early in this thread was a reference to using a dab of epoxy where the wires exit the fan to quiet it down. It worked. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3640

I wish the charger had continued to work.
rsmheli is offline Find More Posts by rsmheli
Last edited by rsmheli; Nov 24, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:46 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Quote:
+1 ...

Yes, in fact I haven't checked my 106b+'s if they have a similar problem. I believe my 208b is from the first batch, so newer ones may well be "fixed". Judging from the fact that mine already had kapton tape on that inside corner of the case, they must be aware of the problem already. I heard they switched to a smaller lcd pcb to make room for that big toroid in those 106 and 1010's, but I have no idea about the 208; as far as I know, I could be the only one that has seen this problem in a 208. Either way, I'm sure it's an easy fix for most hobbyists; I'll check my older 106b+'s in after dinner and see if they need the same work.

Anyhow, I rate that problem as very minor. It's the connection breakdown thing that's getting on my nerves. It pretty much takes my 208 out of service until (hopefully) a firmware fix that actually works shows up. At least my 106's are still working fine, so I may have to actually rig up some parallel charging harnesses to make up for the 208 being down.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:58 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadr View Post
If firmware updates do fix the trouble people have identified, great! I would assume there are hardware changes that are needed though so I am not holding out for a firmware fix that will make my charger bullet proof.
Well, I have to admit I hope you're wrong. If you're right, the least I'd want to hear is I can replace a simple component to make it bulletproof. Regardless, I'm sure Junsi is working hard to expedite a fix, be it hardware or firmware. They have a solid reputation to uphold, and a lot of warranty liability to contain.

For those of us without a warranty, if a hardware change is in fact necessary, we'd love a little info on this thread on how to "upgrade" our own iChargers to make them bulletproof too.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:20 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Yes, the B+ was supposed to fix the issue which is why it boggled my mind to see that they reintroduced the problem with the release of the 208B. They claimed to have a modification to the LCB screen PCB in the works, but I have no idea if it ever went into production and why they didn't hold the product launch till it was ready.

Between that, ignoring my request to be able to discharge a 9S A123 (even though the 208B can charge a 9S A123), and all the other issues that they have, I have decided not to make anymore iCharger purchases for the time being.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:38 AM
Perth, Tasmania, Australia
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
.... now, I'm on the fence and watchful!
Like a lot of us!

I watch this thread every day to see what's happening and won't abandon my Orbit Pro or Elprog Pulsar2 to buy a Junsi charger until I see these problems disappear for good. I'd like to hear from Julez who did a lot of work in helping to enhance this charger, to see if he has experienced any of these problems and if not, what he does differently?

George
GeorgeC is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeC
Old Nov 25, 2009, 02:44 AM
Spending money helps, right?
Tewantin, QLD, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
656 Posts
On the 208B, when is the fan supposed to come on?

I regularly charge one to four 3S packs in parrallel and balance mode, at up to 6 amps (all my PS can handle) and had never had the fan come on.

One of the guys at the field asked if I could charge a battery for him but he had a different balance lead so I could only do a normal charge - 3S at 2100ma. As soon as I started the fan came on and stayed on for the duration of the charge. Why??

As a side note - had another guy at the field with a brand new Swallow AC/DC charger balance charging a 3S 1800ma pack from his car battery. A few minutes later we could smell an electrical burning smell and went outside to see what it was and deduced it must have been his charger. As we were deliberating on wether this was normal or not, a small cracking sound was heard and nice bright orange flame spouted out the vents on the front of it.... We quickly disconnected it all... It was all hooked up properly and was only a week old. So its not just the iCharger that has small problems......
SeaComms is offline Find More Posts by SeaComms
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:14 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I'd like to hear from Julez who did a lot of work in helping to enhance this charger, to see if he has experienced any of these problems and if not, what he does differently?

George
Hi George,
I had a problem with my 208 some time ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...b#post13117795

My other chargers work just fine with all kinds of batterys.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:20 AM
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
So its not just the iCharger that has small problems......
I am sure that is the case. However a number of our flyers use the Swallow and I've never heard any issues with them. I have had the Astro 112D and now my Orbit Microlader Pro and latest Elprog Pulsar 2 and none have missed a beat. I just think that, as commendable as it is, Junsi has tried to deliver everything the market wants but insufficient time has been spent on ensuring the firmware or hardware can meet the demands placed on it. Maybe the implementation was too fast to ensure each enhancement was bug free and now it is very difficult to trace which part of the package is causing the failure? If I was not so keen to see Junsi and his team succeed and deliver a trouble free product, I would have unsubscribed from this thread a long time ago. I want this product to succeed because I want all it has the potential to offer, especially the willingness of the manufacturer to listen to the users and continually enhance the product. But PLEASE ensure it is fault free before we see the enhancements.

When that happens I will buy and recommend to all my mates at the field.

George
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:26 AM
Joined May 2000
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Hi George,
I had a problem with my 208 some time ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...b#post13117795

My other chargers work just fine with all kinds of batterys.
Hi Julez,
Without me looking through all the posts, was your problem resolved?
George
Old Nov 25, 2009, 05:12 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
399 Posts
wated to buy new 206B, but now i not sure
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:02 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
4,969 Posts
My charger has not arrived at Junsi yet.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:19 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
FYI I have one of the first 1010B+ and one of the first 208B delivered to users. Both have been in frequent use for many months now, since before they were generally released for sale. They are most commonly used to charge 4S to 7S A123 packs at between 5A and 20A plus my Tx (NiCd and NiMH) plus some 2S and 3S lipos every now and then.

I have not had a single problem with either charger. The 208B is running 3.09, the 1010B+ is at work so I cannot check it, but probably the same.

This "connection breakdown" problem seems to be the most confusing and persistent one we have seen arise and the user community as well as prospective buyers will all feel much happier once Junsi have identified the cause and provided a fix.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly