Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:11 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,274 Posts
Hi!

You could still charge 5s packs, and lower cell count packs, by connectimg them to the 5s balance port.

I also figure that it would be less trouble to attempt a repair by yourself, if you have soldering gear.
If all contacts are working on the 5s port, this means that the defect sits somewhere or the board to which all the port contacts are soldered.
you can see the solder joints of the individual balance board contacts on the backside of the board. From here, it should not bee too difficult to trace the connection to the solder joints on the main board of the charger, and check for interruptions.
From your description, it seems like the 2s and 6s port use one trace that is ok, and the other ports use a trace that is interupted.
You could further narrow the problem on checking the continuity between the #3 balance port contacts which are defective.
Most likely, you will have continuity between those contacts.
If this is the case, and you do not find the interrupted trace on the board, the solution could be to connect one of the defective #3 contacts to one of the good #3 contacts by soldering a wire on both. All respective balancing contacts are connected in parallel, anyways.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Nov 12, 2009 at 01:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:27 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2007
1,269 Posts
ineresting idea...

thanks for the thoughts, I havent done any fine soldering in years. So i'll be careful. I'll try what you say, but first, sleep!

I'll report back.

Ben

btw, what would you use to connect the burnt pins to the good pin?? a piece of fine wire? Would a fine servo wire be acceptable?

thx.
skinnydoc is offline Find More Posts by skinnydoc
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:25 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,274 Posts
Hi Ben,

don't worry, it's not that difficult. Perhaps you have some kind of electric junk lying around that you can practice on.
Servo cable is perfectly suitable.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:29 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2007
1,269 Posts
sweeeet! it worked!

ok, for the millionth time... rcgroups community is the best!

I did what you said Julez, and now its working fine! soldering no big deal, not very pretty, but it works.

so stoked on the easy fix. Thanks to junsi to for the support on the product.

I actually ordered a Skycharger 6s charger from hobbypartz, probably wont need it now. Always nice to have a backup/parallel charger though.

btw, to charge 8s, does one need an 8s charger?? isnt 8s just 4s in parallel to give the higher voltage? so two 4s chargers will do it, right? I will likely fly my trex 600 8s at some point.

sorry, newb questions.

thanks again!

ben

Ben
Old Nov 13, 2009, 03:38 AM
Spending money helps, right?
Tewantin, QLD, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydoc
btw, to charge 8s, does one need an 8s charger?? isnt 8s just 4s in parallel to give the higher voltage? so two 4s chargers will do it, right? I will likely fly my trex 600 8s at some point.
Hi Ben, an 8S cell is an 8S cell, or could be 2 x 4S packs in series (not parallel).

You can not use two seperate 4S chargers to charge up the one 8S pack (you probably could, but its beyond the ability to explain here and would require a background knowledge in electronics and plenty of testing).

Since you only have 6S chargers, I would recommend a series lead and using the 2x4S packs so you can charge them up. Otherwise its time to invest in an 8S charger (the 208B is a good solution - mine works well!!)
SeaComms is offline Find More Posts by SeaComms
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:01 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Hi Ben, an 8S cell is an 8S cell, or could be 2 x 4S packs in series (not parallel).

You can not use two seperate 4S chargers to charge up the one 8S pack (you probably could, but its beyond the ability to explain here and would require a background knowledge in electronics and plenty of testing).

Since you only have 6S chargers, I would recommend a series lead and using the 2x4S packs so you can charge them up. Otherwise its time to invest in an 8S charger (the 208B is a good solution - mine works well!!)
I think you mean charge them as 2x4S in parallel and then use a series lead in your discharge application ( I mean for flying etc) to get the 8S. Just want to be clear as it is impossible to charge 2x4S in series with ANY kind of series lead with a 6S charger.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:08 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2007
1,269 Posts
two chargers...

thx for the comments.

I meant use 2 4s cells in series (sorry havent thought about electricity theory in a while), to make an 8s cell. I'm trying to NOT have to buy another charger anytime soon... as I have 2 4s chargers already, and this 6s charger, and another 6s on the way. I guess the main penalty for using 4s x 2 is weight and somewhat more expensive, and of course the hassle of charging two cells.

Ben
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:28 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
Charging two ea. 4S in parallel and the connecting them in series for flight really has no disadvantage if they are closely matched packs and you do not use more than 80% of their capacity.

Connected in paralel for charging you can charge them at twice the charge rate used for one and charge times are then no longer. Many chargers will not charge an 8S any faster than two 4S in parallel.

Two 4S can often be used in more different aircraft and if one becomes damaged you still have one good 4S for other applications.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:40 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2007
1,269 Posts
connecting in parallel...

just to take it a little further, I would use, say, 4s 3300 packs x 2 for a Trex 600 heli, connected to the charger with one of these parallel harnesses, then I can charge at 6.6A for instance (1c, or maybe 2c?), right?
Where would the balance taps go on the 106B?

Then I would discharge using one of these series harnesses, for 8s 3300 effective pack. I'm guessing I'd have to use a "HV" type ESC instead of my standard CC80 ESC I'm going to use on 6s setup (though I dont know how to find out).

am I on the right track?

thx for this basic info.

Ben
Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
progressiverc.com sells balancing boards for the iChargers that enable you to do both parallel and series charging depending on the number of cells,charger, type of taps on the battery etc. I have used one of his PQ/Hyp. boards to charge multi packs in both parallel and series. Not at the same time of course.

Two 3300 packs in parallel when charged at 6.6 Amps. is 1C.
You can go to Cartle Creation's website and find out the max. cell count / voltage for any of their controlllers.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 14, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 03:44 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding how to use the external resister spreadsheet. I find that if I have an example, I can understand it better. So if I have a 106B+ and I want to discharge a 2650mh 6S pack. Where in the spreadsheet should I look at or how do I use it? What are some easiest/common "load" one can use? 2 x 12V automotive light bulb in series?

I see in the easy tab, I have:

6 4 1 4 4.00 200 6.3 6.2 154

But I don't really know how to read it or change the value above to tweak it.
No one? How about just some pointers?
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
See few post down ...................
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 15, 2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
Joined Jun 2006
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopydog View Post
Junsi hi

I received my new 208B last Monday from Hobby King.

I have a similar problem to Julez since updating to Ver 3.11.

When I start a balance charge, the amp's will start to ramp up to what was set in the charge rate, it will then stop at the set rate and the charger will then lockup, the battery voltage will flicker but but the charge will not start, everything else is locked up, even the buttons on the charger, the only way to exit is to disconnect the charger from the PSU.

This is also happening in all other charge modes.

If I try to reinstall the the firmware and Ver 3.11a via the upgrade software Ver 1.4, it starts then says re-connecting then I get the device not found although the charger and it's serial number is seen in the device list window.

I have also tried powering up the charger holding the stop button but as in Julez case it didn't work.

Could you also confirm that the charger should be supplied with a balance board mine didn't, It does have the connector but no board

Any help would be much appreciated as I now am unable to use the charger.

Regards

Malcolm
I have the same problem - the update software sees the charger (displays model / SN) and tries to update. Then it says reconnecting. Then a dialog saying "Device not found" pops up.

The device is showing some corrupted letters in menus after a power outage so I don't trust it until the firmware is reloaded.

Any suggestions?

Help,
Mark
BrknBalsa is offline Find More Posts by BrknBalsa
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:41 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrknBalsa View Post
I have the same problem - the update software sees the charger (displays model / SN) and tries to update. Then it says reconnecting. Then a dialog saying "Device not found" pops up.

The device is showing some corrupted letters in menus after a power outage so I don't trust it until the firmware is reloaded.

Any suggestions?

Help,
Mark
Win Xp, Vista, Win 7? Notebook or PC?

Was there a power outage during your firmware upgrade?

Are you using the USB cable supplied with the charger?
marc1 is online now Find More Posts by marc1
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:52 PM
Joined Jun 2006
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1 View Post
Win Xp, Vista, Win 7? Notebook or PC?

Was there a power outage during your firmware upgrade?

Are you using the USB cable supplied with the charger?
Using an XP laptop. There was a power surge (outage) when the charger was sitting in the basement doing nothing. Microwave clock flashing, etc indicated power outage while I was at work. The charger allows me to navigate menus, just shows some garbage that wasn't there before.

For example instead of saying "PROGRAM SELECT" it now says " ROG A# SELECT"

And yes, I am using the USB cable supplied with the charger.
BrknBalsa is offline Find More Posts by BrknBalsa
Last edited by BrknBalsa; Nov 14, 2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Add Info