HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:36 PM
Joined Apr 2009
114 Posts
If I do not need charging power over 10A, 208B or 1010B+ will be more powerful at 12 volts input while charging 14,8V 8S (2x4S) Lipos ? Or both will be equal ?

And there is 1 balancing board ? Which one is it ?
Jevgeniy is offline Find More Posts by Jevgeniy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:12 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Well, to charge an 8S lipo (33.6V) at 10A will require 336W output. You will only be able to bring in 300W at 12V (12Vx25A) since input current is limited to 25A, so this means approximately 270W output at 12V input (assuming 90% efficiency).

So, short answer, it doesn't matter. Both will put out this 270W of power, your max. charger rate will be 8A (270W/33.6V). They would perform equally in this situation.

Long answer: Although they both would work, I'd recommend going for the 208B if you are doing max. of 8S. It has up to 350W of power on hand (if input voltage is high enough) vs. 300W on the 1010B+ and can go up to 20A should you ever need it.

As far as boards, there are different types for the different balance connection plugs that manufacturer's use. Choose the one(s) you need.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Removed owing to "trolling" report.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Last edited by jollyrogertoo; Jul 24, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Well, to charge an 8S lipo (33.6V) at 10A will require 336W output. You will only be able to bring in 300W at 12V (12Vx25A) since input current is limited to 25A, so this means approximately 270W output at 12V input (assuming 90% efficiency).

So, short answer, it doesn't matter. Both will put out this 270W of power, your max. charger rate will be 8A (270W/33.6V). They would perform equally in this situation.

Long answer: Although they both would work, I'd recommend going for the 208B if you are doing max. of 8S. It has up to 350W of power on hand (if input voltage is high enough) vs. 300W on the 1010B+ and can go up to 20A should you ever need it.

As far as boards, there are different types for the different balance connection plugs that manufacturer's use. Choose the one(s) you need.

- David
Thank you for quick and comprehensive reply.

What about balancer - I were trying to ask which balancing board is included with charger HP,TP,EH,XH ?
Just to order everything I will need extra.

Sorry for my english .
Jevgeniy is offline Find More Posts by Jevgeniy
Last edited by Jevgeniy; Jul 24, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:26 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
I do not include any default balance board, preferring instead to allow customers to choose whatever board(s) they might need, or none at all if they do not perform balance charging or if they make their own adapters.

And your English is great !

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
This is a request for a firmware enhancement in the next release - now we have the ability to change the charge rate by pressing "start" for 3 secs during a charge, but then the INC or DEC buttons have to pressed once for each 0.1A change in current. ie. we cannot press and hold INC or DEC to quickly change the setting.

Can you please add this so it works the same as press and hold INC or DEC before charging starts. It's really slow to change the current otherwise.
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
I agree, in fact in mentioned that about 50 post or so back .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Yes, that would be a fantastic enhancement!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
And get that "Nixx Rejuvination", or whatever it was called into the firmware. Basically, cycle until there is no further improvement.
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:55 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Connection Break Down Try Re Flashing Firmware

Well I guess it was bound to happen sooner rather than latter with mine as it runs almost nonstop. My 208B was working great and then all of a sudden the dreaded

CONNECTION
BREAK DOWN

Checked leads,tried several different batteries , tried non balancing charge ,different memories and even tried charging a NiMH. I even went so far as to use a deep cycle as a power source but no luck at all.

Decided to re flash the firmware and all seems well now. This leads me to believe that perhaps some spikes are perhaps scrambling part of the firmware coding.

Has anyone ever decided if there is a best order to use when connecting / disconnecting?

With some chargers they recommend first connecting the main leads then the balancing leads and after charging disconnect balancing leads then main lead. Some other chargers recommend using the reverse order (balancing leads first).

Any ideas? I am not sure but think I may have connected the LiPoly leads to the charger before connecting charger to the PS, should this mater?

If it acts up again I will reprt back otherwise assume the re flashing fixed it.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Yikes!

My Hyperion Duo 2 has his fingers crossed that he will return from the closet.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 03:51 PM
Surrey, BC Canada
Joined Apr 2000
640 Posts
Upgrading to 3.1

Hello Junsi,
I am trying to upgrade my 1010+ as suggested by you to me in a previous post. HELP. I can not find any instructions as to how this is done. I have installed the download software onto my computer. What COM port is it expecting to use? Do I download the update file to my computer first and the software loads it from there or do I let the software dowload it from the update site? Are there any instructions on how to actualy perform the updates? Do I have to connect the charger to my power supply during the update? In other words, does the charger need power during the update?
Thank you Junsi.

Everydayflyer, There have been cases, in Canada, where a close by Cell phone, being answered or a call being made, has changed the flash memory on Tranmitters. Whilst this has not been scientificaly proved, it has happened enough times at different club sites that many clubs here are banning the use of cell Phones in the pit area. If your Cell phone is on, you can not enter the Pit area. I am a little concrned about upgrading my 1010+. There seem to have been too many chargers rendered useless after upgrading. I have looked but have not found any useful instructions haw this is supposed to be done in a meaningful manner, the reason for my questions above.
Cheers,
Robert..
RMFISH is offline Find More Posts by RMFISH
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Charles - IIRC for the iChargers the recommended connection sequence is main-lead then balance lead, disconnection is balance-lead then main-lead. I am not sure about having the PS connected first and turned on before connecting a battery to be chargerd, but that sounds like a sensible precaution and is how I always operate mine.

rmfish - answering a cellphone in a passing car bricking a Tx sounds like hocus pocus to me. Until someone can show convincing evidence I would believe many other explanations first. There were posts about one particular brand/model of Tx in Europe (possibly Multiplex but I am not sure) that suffered some interference from nearby cellphones but remote corruption of flash memory seems a big stretch!
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:47 AM
Electric speed junkie
Townsville
Joined May 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Well I guess it was bound to happen sooner rather than latter with mine as it runs almost nonstop. My 208B was working great and then all of a sudden the dreaded

CONNECTION
BREAK DOWN

Checked leads,tried several different batteries , tried non balancing charge ,different memories and even tried charging a NiMH. I even went so far as to use a deep cycle as a power source but no luck at all.

Decided to re flash the firmware and all seems well now. This leads me to believe that perhaps some spikes are perhaps scrambling part of the firmware coding.

Has anyone ever decided if there is a best order to use when connecting / disconnecting?

With some chargers they recommend first connecting the main leads then the balancing leads and after charging disconnect balancing leads then main lead. Some other chargers recommend using the reverse order (balancing leads first).

Any ideas? I am not sure but think I may have connected the LiPoly leads to the charger before connecting charger to the PS, should this mater?

If it acts up again I will reprt back otherwise assume the re flashing fixed it.

Charles
I'm pretty sure you will be back. I have a pair of 208b's (as you have probably read form my previous posts) and they have been the most incredible hardware I have ever bought. Then a week or so ago I start getting the connection break down error on one then the other the next day. I have reflashed the firmware and it seems fixed for a day or an hour then it is back. I'm pretty sure a firmware update will fix it eventually. I hope soon though as I use these chargers literally every day.
StrykerSpeed is offline Find More Posts by StrykerSpeed
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:55 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSpeed
I'm pretty sure you will be back. I have a pair of 208b's (as you have probably read form my previous posts) and they have been the most incredible hardware I have ever bought. Then a week or so ago I start getting the connection break down error on one then the other the next day. I have reflashed the firmware and it seems fixed for a day or an hour then it is back. I'm pretty sure a firmware update will fix it eventually. I hope soon though as I use these chargers literally every day.
Hello Charles and StrykerSpeed,

We are sorry to hear that. Later, we will send you PM, would you pls tell us more details about charging process?

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi