HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
I'm curious, how many iCharger firmware updates have there been?
Gee, I don't know. My 208b came with v. 3.9 and that was the latest (common?) firmware until this week.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:26 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Thanks for the info. I would be considering the Duo3. I will happily accept having to do firmware updates as long as there is a way to actually do the firmware updates without hardware modifications. Believe me, being in the IT industry I know that software/code/firmware is always an evolving situation and never "finished" or perfect. All I ask is a way to upgrade it easily.
The nice thing about the Duo3/Net3 is that the USB port is on the charger itself. No more special interface hardware (serial to USB) adapters required.

I've been flashing every kind of firmware available since it's inception. I'm glad the days of EPROMs are long gone!
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:28 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
iCharger updates list

http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/Re...s-iCharger.txt

charger updating.

I have a Thunder Power 1010C since the first 6 arrived in the USA it has been updated about 10 times including beta rev. I tested early on. It is easy to updtae if you understand each step which is not easy to do for many.
There are several different combinations that will not work and only one that will at it is different for different model chargers which take different firmware and hardware.

iChargers are much the same it would seem but I only have first hand experience with the 208B.

Hyperion pre Net3 chargers are much the same .

FMA Cell Pro 10 is the easiest to update once you get MS Net installed on your computer..

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 08, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:54 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Only the original 106B and 1010B require modification to use USB, all other iChargers have integrated USB connections and include a USB cable with the charger.
Thanks,

Although not clear from your answer, I guess they must be programmable directly through the USB port, that was my question actually. I have the charger and been using the USB port for data transfers - but not for software upgrading.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:02 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
You've got it, sorry if my answer was unclear. The updates are made using the same USB port and cable used for data transfer/logging.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 01:09 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
Quote:
I have a Thunder Power 1010C since the first 6 arrived in the USA it has been updated about 10 times including beta rev...
iChargers are much the same it would seem but I only have first hand experience with the 208B.
I disagree. Having owned a few TP chargers, they are not easy to update.

First of all, you need to find the propper firmware, depending on which cable you have (my cable was not labelled). Their website is a mess.

You need a special cable (only sold by TP, seperately), remove a label on the charger (no replacements given with the cable). They require a 9V power source, the interface is finicky, sometimes you have to select one port ie: COM5 even though the cable is actually configured as COM4. It would usually take 4-5 attempts to load the firmware. The instructions on their website are also several years behind the current hardware...

Lots of people have bricked their TP-610 / TP-1010C while doing firmware updates.

iCharger on the other hand, all you need is a USB cable. Having updated several iChargers, all worked flawlessly on the first try, it really couldn't get any easier.
marc1 is online now Find More Posts by marc1
Old Jul 08, 2009, 01:30 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
Quote:
Charger on the other hand, all you need is a USB cable. Having updated several iChargers, all worked flawlessly on the first try, it really couldn't get any easier.
I really do not care to argue the issue however I have never bricked a TP1010 and while their instructions are far from clear so are the iCharger ones IMO.

True current iChargers are simplier than the earlier models but there are many post in this thread of chargers no longer working after attempting an upgrade and some are current models with USB prt installed at the factory.

All updating software should first check for matching headers for the updating software,charger model and firmware before starting an update.

Added:

To the best of my knowledge any TP,Hyp or iCharger damaged by a botched upgrade attempt has been repaired or replaced. This does not make the experience any less annoying just less expensive,IMO..

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 08, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:32 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2001
133 Posts
208B balancing board help!

I just bought the 208B last week, which comes with an external balancing board. The manual doesn't seem to address how to plug in different pack combination for serial or parallel charging.

Available slots are 1x 6s, 2x 5s, 2x 4s, 3 x3s and 3 x2s. I have read JuleZ's thread on parallel balancing.

Q1: What if I want to charge 2 x4s in series? Do I simply plug the 2 balancing leads into the two 4s slots? While the two 4s packs are connected in series at the main charge leads?

Q2: Why are there two 5s slots (side by side)? I know this charger cannot handle more than 8s. Similarly, why 3x 3s slots? Surely this doesn't mean charging 9s in parallel, according to JuleZ's picture showing parallel charging.

I wish this is better documented.

Thanks,

Pat L
Makiedog is offline Find More Posts by Makiedog
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:34 PM
Joined May 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus_pl

/cut !

Is it possible to calibrate it yourself ?
Calibration is finished. My chargers work perfectly now

Thanks write2dgray !
Locutus_pl is offline Find More Posts by Locutus_pl
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:39 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
No sweat, enjoy!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:48 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makiedog
Q1: What if I want to charge 2 x4s in series? Do I simply plug the 2 balancing leads into the two 4s slots? While the two 4s packs are connected in series at the main charge leads?

Q2: Why are there two 5s slots (side by side)? I know this charger cannot handle more than 8s. Similarly, why 3x 3s slots? Surely this doesn't mean charging 9s in parallel, according to JuleZ's picture showing parallel charging.
Hey Pat,

Short answer for Q1, yes, but see here for a few applications:
Concept:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l#post10909267
Series:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=91
Parallel:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3634

To put it another way, rows are in series, columns are in parallel.

Regarding Q2, the same boards are used for the 208B, 106B+, and 1010B+.

- David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
Makiedog See page 13 of owenr;s manual.
Charging Lithum Batteries in Balnacing mode bottom of page is a wiring diagram.

With main connection (pigtail) at top starting on the right hand side all are in parallel top to bottom . Note there are exceptions as in with thePoly Quest / Hyp bboard the second and third connects are not used for the 2S and the second contact is not used for a 3S due to the way those vendors choose to wire their balancing leads.

Righ to left places packs in series,top to bottom places them in parallel. Best to find a drawing or remove the backing and study the layout (traces).

As 208B is a 8S max. charger some connections are not useable . The same boards are used by the 10C version of the charger no doubt.

Charles
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:16 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
I want to update my software but I have a pile of USB cables here. How can I tell which it the one supplied by the manufacturer? Or, will any usb work?
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:23 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
Or, will any usb work?
In my experience, yes.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2009, 03:05 AM
learning to crash Heli's
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
I want to update my software but I have a pile of USB cables here. How can I tell which it the one supplied by the manufacturer? Or, will any usb work?
Check the continuity of the shielding on the cable, I think that is what is difference between the supplied cable (broken) and a standard one (continuous). I seem to remember that the case of the charger is tied to ground and you can run into problems when you connect the USB plug, as the shield touches the case, so the factory cable has a break in the sheilding.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is online now Find More Posts by Thunder Fighter