HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2009, 06:24 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Sep 2003
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus_pl
Both 1010B+ show all six cells to be exactly 4.2V after charging but on voltmeter cell #6 is 4.24V in first charger and in second 4.25V
Your only off by .04 and .05 which is well within spec's I believe.

Hilde
Hilde is offline Find More Posts by Hilde
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2009, 06:28 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde
Your only off by .04 and .05 which is well within spec's I believe.

Hilde
The specs state a balance accuracy of 10mV = 0.01V.
I would go to settings and set it to 4.15V/cell for LiPos. And live with the other cells being a little "under charged".
jfrickmann is offline Find More Posts by jfrickmann
Old Jul 07, 2009, 06:44 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Calibration is possible (although almost never required) if accurate enough equipment is available.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:42 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Firmware 3.06. I tried the install of the usb at least 5 times from start to finish exactly as listed and never could establish communication. The adapter is the red one with www.nbglin.com on it.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:07 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Hmmm, hard to tell which one you are using on that page. Any chance for a link on Digikey or Mouser or a spec sheet on the converter used? A pic of your internal connections would be very helpful for troubleshooting as well.

- David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:08 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
After reading all the software upgrade documents, I am a bit confused about if it is necessary to use a TTL converter with a new 106B+ (bought a few weeks ago), or if it can be programmed directly with the USB cable supplied.

Many versions and types are confusing, and as much as I can see the documents do not indicate upgrading with the USB cable directly, without a TTL converter- if that is possible, that is.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:18 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
It is this one

http://www.nbglin.com/cpjs/dpj3.htm

I can't show the internal connections because I don't have it connected anymore. I followed these instructions exactly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1187

I suppose I could try the upgrade on the 2nd charger. It just really annoys me that the manufacturer didn't have the port installed on these to begin with and then tell the customer to buy parts and solder the stuff on themselves. This would not be an issue if there weren't so many issues that needed a firmware upgrade to address. One of them being the "connection breakdown" error I get when charging at high current.

Anyway, thanks for any assistance. I would hate to spend $100 more for it but I may switch to the Hyperion chargers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:30 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmutlugil
After reading all the software upgrade documents, I am a bit confused about if it is necessary to use a TTL converter with a new 106B+ (bought a few weeks ago), or if it can be programmed directly with the USB cable supplied.

Many versions and types are confusing, and as much as I can see the documents do not indicate upgrading with the USB cable directly, without a TTL converter- if that is possible, that is.

Bulent
Only the original 106B and 1010B require modification to use USB, all other iChargers have integrated USB connections and include a USB cable with the charger.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:35 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
...I suppose I could try the upgrade on the 2nd charger. It just really annoys me that the manufacturer didn't have the port installed on these to begin with and then tell the customer to buy parts and solder the stuff on themselves. This would not be an issue if there weren't so many issues that needed a firmware upgrade to address...
USB wasn't a feature of the original chargers, and not one that you bought the charger based on (or paid for!). USB was added to the 106B+ and 1010B+ models as an upgraded model with other improved features, including USB, and the price was higher.

As an upgrade path many users have added USB to their original 106B or 1010B. You could certainly do the same if so desired. Firmware updates have added many other (often user requested) features, as well as bug fixes, see the rev. log in the first post. I'd recommend giving the converter another shot or picking up a new iCharger with integrated USB, I'm sure you won't be disappointed in the end.

Cheers,
David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
I have a Duo 2, and, while an excellent charger, it is much harder to use and not infallible: there have been many firmware updates.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:46 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
I understand it was not a feature and you are right, I didn't buy it to use the usb port, but I did buy it to operate correctly as advertised without any hardware modification on my part. It is not like I am wanting to do something with it that it was not designed for or use it with a new technology that came out after the charger was made. The fact that the manufacturer tells you to do a firmware upgrade to fix firmware defects is kinda hard to accept when I have to buy additional parts and solder parts to be able to do the firmware upgrade. Especially when it didn't work using recommended parts and procedures.

I have emailed Junsi, and if this isn't resolved, I will not be buying any other icharger products.

Thanks again for your advice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:48 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Well, you are right about that: specs is specs, and that's one reason I waited over a year before buying an Icharger.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:49 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrogertoo
I have a Duo 2, and, while an excellent charger, it is much harder to use and not infallible: there have been many firmware updates.
Thanks for the info. I would be considering the Duo3. I will happily accept having to do firmware updates as long as there is a way to actually do the firmware updates without hardware modifications. Believe me, being in the IT industry I know that software/code/firmware is always an evolving situation and never "finished" or perfect. All I ask is a way to upgrade it easily.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:20 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrogertoo
I'm curious, how many iCharger firmware updates have there been?
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
The Duo 1 and Duo 2 were relatively easy to upgrade, and only the Duo 1 had a hardware upgrade (brighter LCD), which was optional.

The Duo 3 is apparently easier to upgrade (firmware) in that no special cable appears to be necessary, now, and there is apparently "real time" communication with a PC (or mac?).

Previously, I used the Duo 2 daily, but once I bought my 208b, about 2 months ago, my use declined and now has almost halted: I'd ask Junsi for a partial refund or something and I suggest the 208b is a fine product.

I agree, however, that the Duo 3 is probably in a different league.

Just keep in mind that Hyperion does NOT repair its chargers, though it does (did?) have a 50% replacement price for non-warranty damage or loss.