HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2009, 11:40 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
In the spirit of continuous improvement, here are two more ideas I'd like to put out there:
  • Special mode for discharge for disposal. It woudl be convenient to have a mode to discharge to 0.0V on a given cell for disposal. NiXX mode can go to .05V, but it would be very convenient to have a mode for disposal of say LiXX cells where you set max. discharge current and it takes it down to and holds at 0.0V.
  • View last charge information. On the 208B where there is memory present it would be nice if you could view final charge information (time, mAh) for the last charge/discharge performed even after the operation is stopped. For example, if you pressed <inc> and <dec> together the last operation final screen could be pulled up. Maybe as a further improvement you could then scroll (by pressing inc and dec) through the last few operations performed.
Jun-si - thanks again for the great job, and thanks to everyone for the feedback that makes these improvements possible!
Junsi, these ideas sound good to me (especially the last charge/discharge mAH). Regarding the last charge/discharge Info, may I suggest simply adding one more status screen to the loop with the individual cell voltages.

It could be viewed while charging by pressing "INC", and seen before (or after) the cell voltages in the loop. It could also be viewed from the "General Status Info" screen by pressing "INC", and seen before (or after) the cell voltages in the view loop when not charging. (Hold the stop button for 3 sec to view "General Status Info" when not charging).

No keys to remember to press, the last charge/discharge info is just one more screen in an existing loop.

Thanks again for the last update, I've already used the new features.

Wyn
Wyn is offline Find More Posts by Wyn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2009, 01:34 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision
One small oddity - While still using v3.09, I couldn't get Logview to work at charge rates any higher than about 1.5 amps. Anything over and "it" would disconnect from the COM port, requiring me to upplug/replug the USB to reconnect to Logview.
Hello Sir,

Would you pls check if there is a D7 near U11? If it is missed, pls sold a 0.1μ capacitance to solve it.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:03 AM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxian
I tried to update my 1010B but I get the message "Device not found".
The upgrade doesn't find the charger.

It worked fine for several times (last update was 3.08) but now I didn't get a connection.
I tried it with two computers but I get always the same result.

Some time ago my discharge resistor (R5) was destroyed:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post10983596

I send it to Junsi and got it back with a new resistor.
Maybe another part of the PCB was damaged when R5 was destroyed which leads to these upgrade problems?

I use this converter ...
http://www.nbglin.com/ft232.htm
... and checked also the wires from the converter to the PCB of the charger.
@Junsi:

Do you have any ideas regarding my problem?
tuxian is offline Find More Posts by tuxian
Old Jul 07, 2009, 02:37 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Dec 2007
12 Posts
Received my 208B today. Charger working fine, but the USB connection does not work. I tried my Vista x32 first, then on another XP computer. Same problem;

"Device not found" in upgrader, and "Unknown device" reported by the USB system. Both Vista and XP says the device is malfunctioning. Followed the steps in the manual, install USB driver, then connecting the charger while Upgrader is running.

Tried to scan this thread, but could not find anything to resolve this.
tarpoon is offline Find More Posts by tarpoon
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:27 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpoon
Received my 208B today. Charger working fine, but the USB connection does not work. I tried my Vista x32 first, then on another XP computer. Same problem;

"Device not found" in upgrader, and "Unknown device" reported by the USB system. Both Vista and XP says the device is malfunctioning. Followed the steps in the manual, install USB driver, then connecting the charger while Upgrader is running.

Tried to scan this thread, but could not find anything to resolve this.
Have you checked Include COMx port?
Have you connected the charger to a power supply or battery?

Those were the things that I missed before I got it to work
jfrickmann is offline Find More Posts by jfrickmann
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:43 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Sir,

Would you pls check if there is a D7 near U11? If it is missed, pls sold a 0.1 capacitance to solve it.

Regards,
Junsi
Thanks, Junsi...

Now, can somebody translate that for a motivated do-it-yourselfer with NO electercal expertise...

PS- I did successfully hack a PC power supply for use with the charger...
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:07 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,476 Posts
Tarpoon
You need to use the USB cable supplied with the iCharger 208. It's a special USB cable.
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:12 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Dec 2007
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickmann
Have you checked Include COMx port?
Have you connected the charger to a power supply or battery?

Those were the things that I missed before I got it to work
Yes, checked the COMx port, tried all ports available on both Vista and XP as part of the testing. But it should not be checked using USB anyway as I understand.

I am using a Graupner 13.8V 20A power supply. Should be no issue there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert
Tarpoon
You need to use the USB cable supplied with the iCharger 208. It's a special USB cable.
Neal
Yes, did use the supplied USB cable as stated in the manual.
tarpoon is offline Find More Posts by tarpoon
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:18 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Couple questions. I have 2 of the 106b chargers. These are about a year old and didn't come with the usb connection. I ordered the parts and followed the instructions to install a usb connection on one of them but I could never establish communications (I am in the IT biz and pretty good with schematics, soldering etc, am sure it was connected correctly).

So, I have not been able to upgrade the firmware. I didn't try on the 2nd one after no success on the first one. I am now seeing that my lcd's on both are starting to "wash out" in certain areas. It isn't effected by temp, and they have never been abused or even left in direct sunlight. The worst thing is that I recently purchased a pair of the new Hyperion lipos that can take up to a 5c charge. So I tried to charge these at 2c (8.4 amps). After a few minutes one of the chargers turned off with the cell over volt warning. Sure enough the cells were between 4.25 and 4.30. I doubled checked the settings at it was set to 4.2 for the over voltage shutoff. So what gives? How can I get the firmware upgraded other than sending them overseas? I was interested in the new 208b as I need a third charger now, but I am a bit put off with icharger now.

So, anyone know what caused the incorrect cell voltage? Is this a known issue that a firmware update would fix? Any advice on installing a usb port on these? Is there an official upgrade kit that can be purchased for this that connects to the board correctly?

Thanks, John
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:25 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy

So, anyone know what caused the incorrect cell voltage? Is this a known issue that a firmware update would fix? Any advice on installing a usb port on these? Is there an official upgrade kit that can be purchased for this that connects to the board correctly?

Thanks, John
What mode where you charging in? Can you list the system menu settings?
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:29 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
I was in lipo balance charge, 8.4 amp 6s. I am not in front of the charger right now, but all other settings were default as far as I can remember. What other setting specifically would you need to know? FYI, both chargers did the same thing, I caught the 2nd one before it alarmed and it was already over 4.2 cell volts.
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:57 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision
Thanks, Junsi...

Now, can somebody translate that for a motivated do-it-yourselfer with NO electercal expertise...

PS- I did successfully hack a PC power supply for use with the charger...
Basically, you are looking on the charger board for writing that says D7, it will be found near a component labelled U11. If there is not a component at the D7 location soldered to the board, Jun-Si recommends soldering in a 0.1μ capacitor. If you can't find any of this or are uncertain, take a pic of the board and post it up here for some more help.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2009, 05:08 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Couple questions. I have 2 of the 106b chargers. These are about a year old and didn't come with the usb connection. I ordered the parts and followed the instructions to install a usb connection on one of them but I could never establish communications (I am in the IT biz and pretty good with schematics, soldering etc, am sure it was connected correctly).

So, I have not been able to upgrade the firmware. I didn't try on the 2nd one after no success on the first one. I am now seeing that my lcd's on both are starting to "wash out" in certain areas. It isn't effected by temp, and they have never been abused or even left in direct sunlight. The worst thing is that I recently purchased a pair of the new Hyperion lipos that can take up to a 5c charge. So I tried to charge these at 2c (8.4 amps). After a few minutes one of the chargers turned off with the cell over volt warning. Sure enough the cells were between 4.25 and 4.30. I doubled checked the settings at it was set to 4.2 for the over voltage shutoff. So what gives? How can I get the firmware upgraded other than sending them overseas? I was interested in the new 208b as I need a third charger now, but I am a bit put off with icharger now.

Thanks, John
Hey John,

What version firmware?

Myself and many others have had great success with adding USB kits to the ol' 106Bs and 1010Bs. What converter are you running? I recommend double checking your board connections, TTL, negative and such to confirm wiring. Just follow the instructions explicitly and carefully check over everything.

I have not seen any LCDs wash out, and I'm still running some early models. I don't know what the difference there could be. Is it frequently left on for extended periods? I often leave mine running all day and haven't experienced any washout, although I will say the contrast on the 208Bs seems to be slightly better.

Keep an eye on the cell voltages during charge, or get the USB up and running and graph the results. Do measured voltages exceed 4.20V at the charger? I often charge at 2-3C and have never seen overvoltage issues with any of the iChargers, and I know many out there are charging their G3s at 5C using iChargers without incident, so don't give up .

Cheers,
David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2009, 05:23 PM
Joined May 2009
5 Posts
Two 1010B+ - same problem ?

I have two 1010B+ chargers.
I considered them the best of the best until I found out that both of them have the same problem - inaccurate voltage readings on 'cell #6'
In first one 0.4V and in the other one 0.5V off

I confronted charger readings of fully charged (balance charge) 6S pack with my METEX M-3270 voltmeter.

Both 1010B+ show all six cells to be exactly 4.2V after charging but on voltmeter cell #6 is 4.24V in first charger and in second 4.25V

I guess I have an answer why cell #6 dies prematurely in all my
6S packs

Is it possible to calibrate it yourself ?
Locutus_pl is offline Find More Posts by Locutus_pl
Last edited by Locutus_pl; Jul 07, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 05:48 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
That's odd, units are factor calibrated and I have found them very accurate. PM sent.
RCG Plus Member