HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2009, 04:16 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Back in post #3089 David posted:

Quote:
Ha! Well, I happen to care a bit what ol' Charles thinks and I know a few others around here do as well. Sending a charger his way will certainly bring out the truth, be it good or bad you can count on him for brutal honesty.
Seems like David knows me well. Yes I am hard to please and have been known to cause some product development teams to burn the midnight oil, with my endless request for improvements / enhancements. I truly feel that there is no perfect product and that you can either move forward with improvement or be passed by those who are willing to put forth the extra effort.

If I posted a list of the RC products many of use enjoy using that I beta / field tested and helped to improve ,some in very major ways most would just look at as bragging. I only want the best I can get. If it doesn't do what I feel it should or is to hard to use I want it changed. Seems simple enough logic to me.

Now if I could just get a RC Transmitter manufacture to lessen to me.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 04, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2009, 04:50 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
This may become my favorite go to charger.
You're not alone Charles. I've yet to encounter anyone who owns an iCharger that prefers other chargers in their collection. Since acquiring my iChargers last year I have all but retired my Polycharge 4, Triton, Hyperion EOS 5i's and LBA 6's and 10's. Fast, accurate, powerful, packed with features, incredible manufacturer support, and a great value to boot.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2009, 04:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Same here: my Hyperion Duo 2 gently weeps.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jul 04, 2009, 04:54 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
I've got a replacement heading your way with a little "bonus." PM me if you'd like for me to include anything else at this time.

Also, note to all - check out the updated website!

www.progressiverc.com

Cheers,
David
David,

Please don't. I have already ordered bullet connectors and new gators. So as far as I am concerned, the issue is in the past.

I upgraded the firmware to 3.10. A little suggestion for an improvement to the manual: note that the charger must be powered up when connected.

Other than that, the little charger is humming along. Cycling the NiMH pack in my second DLG right now. Balanced a couple of packs for storage. Played with the internal resistance measurements. My old 700mAh pack is almost 200mOhm/cell I did notice that my Shocky can barely hover with that pack anymore. Just got a new Hyperion G3 for it. Charged at 3C. Wow! I am looking forward to try the foam cutter drive as well. This is truly the Swiss Army knife of chargers!

Jesper
jfrickmann is offline Find More Posts by jfrickmann
Old Jul 04, 2009, 05:09 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Well you know sometimes it is the simple things such as such a wide input voltage range. It was I who convienced Hyp. to increase input up to nonimal 24 volts in order to keep from placing such huge current demands on 12V PB being used at the field or to be able to use somewhat odd PSs such as 18 V , etc. iCharger goes one better and takes 4.5 to 32V.
Someone who back packs or slope soars at remote locations could use a RC car / truck 6 cell Ni battery as a power source to charge their receiver or transmitter bateries. Those who fly the small stuff indoors can do the same.

Having all chemistries in one charger is what most want and is fairly common but some persist in not doing so. Balance charging is the safest with LiPolys but not all LiPolys have balancing leads and not everyone has adapters for every type of battery made.
I routinely balance charge my A123s but hate being forced to by a certain brand of charger. I use 2S A123 receiver packs in some aircraft and these do not need balancing except perhps twice a year. I know of no other charger that gives you such freedom setting termanation voltage,when to start the balancing, how long to charge / balance ( Fast ,Normal,Slow Trickle) etc.

Being small and light does not hurt either. I place mine in a Fed X mailing enevlop and place it on top of my 8 3S 2200 LiPolys for my Blade 400 in a Showoff plastic storge/ carry box.

Charles
Old Jul 04, 2009, 05:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natterjak
I was hanging back after the first post following Junsi's 3.10 update was from a user who had killed their charger with it, but others seem to be successfully upgrading and I *really* want the functionality improvements so I think tomorrow morning I'll upgrade my 1010B+ and 208B.
Did mine today, even after seeing the dead unit in this thread; no problems on my end, went like clockwork!
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
Old Jul 04, 2009, 06:36 PM
Joined Oct 2006
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring
Did mine today, even after seeing the dead unit in this thread; no problems on my end, went like clockwork!
Updated my 106B+ a few minutes ago to v310 no problems, works great

Ken
ksm2001 is offline Find More Posts by ksm2001
Old Jul 04, 2009, 08:19 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
1010B+ and 208B updated with latest firmware this morning, I really like the speed at which the current changes.

Thanks Junsi for the great support and quick turnaround.
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1
Old Jul 04, 2009, 08:39 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
I really like the speed at which the current changes.
Me to except no scrolling changes during charge / discharge. 0.1A steps only it appears.

Charles
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:05 PM
Potage, MI
Joined Dec 2003
534 Posts
Hi,

J just came back from the fiels and I'm quite thrilled with the charger. I have 2 Hyperion G3 packs 4s 2600mah. I also have 2 6s 5000 mah packs to be used on a future project. Instead of lugging a lead acid battery around I charged the 4s packs with the 6s pack as the power source. I charged at 12.5 amps and done in 13+ minutes. I thing I recharged five times before it got dark.

With the 208B and the latest generation of 5C charge lipos, my whole approach to battery management will change. This now approaches A123 cells for charging times. The total cost of batteries should go down considerably. 2 packs of each size would be enough to fly continuously. And now that I have a higher current charger I've set up for parallel charging.

I work second shift and I'll get a call at 9:00 am from a buddy to fly at 11:30. It has been a race to run downstairs and get enough packs charged to go fly at lunch. On Thursday I think I charged 5 3s packs 2500mah in about 90 minutes (2C charge rate).

And now for the improvement opportunity. I set the input voltage cutoff at 21 volts to protect the 6s lipo. After landing I looked at the charger and was really confused since the charge current was fluctuating all over the place at well under 1 amp. It looks like the charger reduced the output power when the input voltage approaches cutoff. I don't remember hearing any beeps.

When the input voltage reaches cutoff I'd much prefer the charger shut off and beep. The way it works now, it could charge at a very low rate for some time before I'd notice it. I'll be relying on those consistent short charge times.

Thanks,
Vince
Vince53 is offline Find More Posts by Vince53
Old Jul 05, 2009, 04:12 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring
Upgraded my "old" 1010B (non-plus) to 3.10 yesterday, and no problems either.

T
thomanie is online now Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2009, 05:07 AM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Oct 2008
137 Posts
Hey David, congrats, your new website looks good! I've bought a couple of chargers and power suplies from you, definitely recommended

May be in the future a couple of videos of how to... with the ichargers.

Regards,
Gustavo
haggy38 is offline Find More Posts by haggy38
Old Jul 05, 2009, 11:08 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
iCharger 208B rev. 2.10

Initial IR readings with latest firmware 2.10 look much better.

First battery I checked was a 5S A123, 2300 mAh which I assembled in Nov. 2007 from DeWalt cells. It is one of my son's packs and has been flown a bunch but I do not have an accurtae count. 208B reported
8 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 7 which is right inline with expected readings.

Second one checked was a Hyp. G3 VX (35C) 3S 2200 LiPoly with 119 discharge cycles on it.

Reading taken after a 20A CBAII discharge ( 1,869 mAh)to 10.5 and a cool down to 75F.

4 / 3 / 3

Cell Pro 10 @ 2A charge rate reported 5.0 / 4.2 / 4.7

I will take IR reading again after charge on 208B finishes and report back if any changes.

Charged on 208B at 2A IRs 5 / 4 / 4

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 05, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
Connection Break Down 106B+

Hi @all

I bought two 106B+ from hobbycity.
One is working the other on just creats the Connection Break Down Error.

Because i am able to compare, it is devinitely the charger which is not working properly. ... have done the update, also spent nights to read many postings about this but did not help.

I would really appreciate from Junsi or anybody any ideas what to do ?

Cheers,
Peter
guggelmux is offline Find More Posts by guggelmux
Old Jul 05, 2009, 01:34 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guggelmux
Hi @all
e, also spent nights to read many postings about this but did not help.

I would really appreciate from Junsi or anybody any ideas what to do ?

Cheers,
Peter
Hobby City offers a 1 year warranty on the charger. Simpy follow their RMA instructions and return the charger to them for replacement.
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1