SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:25 AM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickmann
Next challenge was charging my FlightPower pack, where it reported Low Voltage. That was because the two most negative connectors are both connected to the same point. A 4S pack and a 6 pin plug. So I disconnected the most negative one and it worked. Apparently, the charger was thinking that it was a 5S pack with a dead cell. So my multimeter came to good use this morning!

What size pack is that? The two balancing connectors do not share the negative terminal. Are you using the TP balancing board? I would caution against using a multimeter on a balancing connector, it's a very easy way to cause a short circuit. Simply plug the pack into the appropriate balancing board (there are several available) and the charger will tell you what is what.
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:29 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
I have complained about the balancing leads order on Poly Quest / hyperion since day one, more than 5 years now. IMO it is sso dumb to skip connection point and always use the most outside one as battery positive. FMA does the same thing and I do not like it for that reason also. Hyperion and FMA both require a dedicated connector for 2,3,4,5 and 6 cell Li batteries.

Thunder Power and iChargers however start with pack neg. and use next,next,next etc. which means a single 6 lead connector can be used with 2-5S which is the way they all should be IMO.

See post here for an example

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post12545913

Three connectors to balance 3,4 and 5 S Hyp./ PQ style and one TP for 2-5S.

FMA and some other require a seperate TP connector for 2,3,4,5 cells ,what a pain in the back side.
to say nothing of the addational expense. Sometimes I feel like I should have bought stock in some of the connector manufactures.
Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 04, 2009, 12:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
3.10 works fine, now, for my 208b, BUT, it still changes my defaults with presets. So, I give up-I'll change all values in each preset, which means I'll use the least number of presets possible.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jul 04, 2009, 12:50 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
BUT, it still changes my defaults with presets
Well that sucks. I hate revesions which clear all the time and effort put into programming chargers, transmitter,etc..
There was suppose to be an option added to not clear presets.

See 123 in text below
http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/Re...s-iCharger.txt

Correction see post below. This was a misundersatanding.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 04, 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 12:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Charles, the "upgrade" didn't modify my settings BUT the "problem" remains: if you use a preset that does NOT have "F" etc. "set," the "global" values then become those of the preset.

So, to avoid having to go through 10 presets and to set each global value in each, I'm using only two: one for 2300 A123 batteries and one for 1100's.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 01:07 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
jollyrogertoo
Thanks for the clarification

To me the simplest way to deal with desired global settings is to:

I set temp. to F, balance to Storage, capacity and time out to off and saved these as Li NBC in Memo. 01.

next I set temp to F , balance storage,capacity and time out off and Fast charge and saved these as Li FBC to mem. 02 .

That way I only have to recall (load setting) for the option I want. If I charge a 4S pack at an amp setting I use a lot I save this to a Mem slot and the customozed setting are saved with the cell count and charge rate.

Charles
Old Jul 04, 2009, 01:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Good plan-thanks.

So, what do you think of the charger, so far?

If you take it apart, please note whether the "coil" still chaffs-I have not taken mine apart to see if I have the "modified" display.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 01:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Charles, the method you described works great: many thanks!

Now, if someone would just include that in the manual and redraft the darn thing!
Old Jul 04, 2009, 01:45 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Sweet!!! I haven't been in this thread for a while and just noticed we got our new features we asked for in the new 3.10 firmware. My favorites: on-the-fly adjustments and fixed Li monitor mode.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jul 04, 2009, 01:45 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1
What size pack is that? The two balancing connectors do not share the negative terminal. Are you using the TP balancing board? I would caution against using a multimeter on a balancing connector, it's a very easy way to cause a short circuit. Simply plug the pack into the appropriate balancing board (there are several available) and the charger will tell you what is what.
It's a 4S 1800 mAh EON28. I use the balance adapter from my Blinky. You are right that one has to be very careful when measuring off the balance harness. But the charger would only give the Low Voltage error until I figured it out, so it was no use at that time.

I have attached a picture of the alligator missing the bullet for David. It is no longer relevant, as I already ordered new gators from Tower.
jfrickmann is offline Find More Posts by jfrickmann
Old Jul 04, 2009, 01:49 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
FMA and some other require a seperate TP connector for 2,3,4,5 cells ,what a pain in the back side.
to say nothing of the addational expense. Sometimes I feel like I should have bought stock in some of the connector manufactures.
Charles
It's not to late to invest in connector manufacturers, lol. I agree with you, but I think a happier ending would result if everyone was forced to use a standardized balance plug. Hey, standardization happened in the computer industry, why not RC?
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jul 04, 2009, 02:56 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickmann
I have attached a picture of the alligator missing the bullet for David.
I've got a replacement heading your way with a little "bonus." PM me if you'd like for me to include anything else at this time.

Also, note to all - check out the updated website!

www.progressiverc.com

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2009, 02:58 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Junsi

Thanks for the latest Rev. and for implementing some nice enhancements. This may become my favorite go to charger.

I wish all chargers were this easy to update and that other manufactures could(would) implement changes as quickly.

Quote:
If you take it apart, please note whether the "coil" still chaffs-
Yes i did and no it does not. The PCB for the display has been notched for clearance and there is a strip of Kaypton (spelling) tape on the top half of case.

Charles
Old Jul 04, 2009, 02:59 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,360 Posts
Horray! Charles is finally coming around.
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1
Old Jul 04, 2009, 03:00 PM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
I was hanging back after the first post following Junsi's 3.10 update was from a user who had killed their charger with it, but others seem to be successfully upgrading and I *really* want the functionality improvements so I think tomorrow morning I'll upgrade my 1010B+ and 208B.
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak