SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:16 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,259 Posts
I got my stuff today - thanks!

I have a few questions for David:
  • The negative alligator clip does not have a bullet connector - can I have a replacement? (just the black alligator clip).
  • How am I supposed to connect the power supply I bought with it? I have attached a picture showing how it kinda works. But the positive jack is just sitting loosely in that hole - not good.
jfrickmann is offline Find More Posts by jfrickmann
Last edited by jfrickmann; Jul 03, 2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: The manual is on the CD - figured that out!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:29 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
Not David however all of the Owner's Manual are available for down loading. Links are in the first post of this thread.

I would suggest cutting that connector off of the PS and attaching(soldering ) on female bullet connectors to match the bullet connector on the charger input.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 03, 2009, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickmann
  • The negative alligator clip does not have a bullet connector - can I have a replacement? (just the black alligator clip).
  • How am I supposed to connect the power supply I bought with it? I have attached a picture showing how it kinda works. But the positive jack is just sitting loosely in that hole - not good.
What the heck brand of power supply is that? I've only seen connectors like the one pictured on lawn equipment. Anyway, as Charles stated, cut it off and put on some bullet connectors. Best to stagger the positive and negative so they won't touch as easily.
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
Old Jul 03, 2009, 02:59 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Quote:
what is it's output? the power supply that is. get a set of ultra deans from your lhs. put the female end on the power supply. no possibility of shorting it out that way. if it's not at least a 12A supply your going to be able to only charge at like 5A or so.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Jul 03, 2009, 03:18 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
What they said above...but to add a little. It's a DuraComm power supply, often used in CB radio applications. They are high quality and very durable, typical sale price of $100, I have some new for $30.

http://www.duracomm.com/desktoppower...tm#LP%20Series

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalo...52a70b83a5fc9a

The connectors are SAE type connectors, often used in the automotive industry and used by DuraComm on many of their products. Cut 'em off and use what you want .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SAE_Connector.png

Cheers,
David

Quote:
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2009, 09:19 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Joined Aug 2005
1,259 Posts
OK. I will get some bullet connectors. I guess the point I was trying to make is: when I buy the power supply together with the charger I expect that they work together "out of the box". I also expected that the alligator clips were delivered in a working state, i.e. with bullet connectors on both, as advertised. I hope that the internal parts are better than the externals. So far, it works fine cycling a little 250mAh NiMH pack.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 09:35 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Joined Aug 2005
1,259 Posts
Just found similar alligators with bullets on Tower Hobbies' page: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSCN1&P=7
And bullet connectors for the PSU: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPY6&P=7
I guess that just increased the price of my charger by $12.37
I have to say, this really leaves a bad first hand impression. Maybe I will mail that defective alligator clip to you, so you can see what I was talking about.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 10:15 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
3.10 version is releasing!

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your continual support in our chargers.

Now, the latest upgrade software 3.10 version is releasing, here is the update notes: http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/Re...s-iCharger.txt

The following items are upgrading software:
iCharger 1010B+'s upgrading software:
http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/iC1010B+_V310.bin

iCharger 106B+'s upgrading software:
http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/iC106B+_V310.bin

iCharger 208B's upgrading software:
http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/iC208B_V310.bin

The users can also upgrade it by themselves, the only thing they should pay special attention is using our exclusive USB wire for upgrading.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jul 04, 2009, 02:38 AM
Fxs
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
Trouble with Upgrade to Version 3.10

Hello,

after flashing the new firmware, the iCharger didn't start again!

I did the folowing steps.

1. connect the icharger to the power supply
2. start the upgrader
3. connect the Junsi USB cable
4. choose the the founded icharger in the upgrader's menu
5. select the new firmware
6. press update
7. after the progress bar reaches 100% i get the message "update complete"
8. after this i disconnect the usb cable and the power supply
9. reconnect the iCharger to the power supply and i be horrified, i see only in the first line of the display all matrix dots displayed, the second line complete empty and the charger emitted an extreme high tone (very low noise, difficult to hear it)

(no difference when i flashed th update to version 3.09)

I have the strange feeling, that this is it to the charger... What can i do now? Is it possible the flash the firmware once again? When i now connect the iCharger again i see in the upgraders window the iCharger line (Type and serial number) choose it, also the bin file and press update, i receive after few seconds the message, that the device cannot be found...

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Franz
Fxs is offline Find More Posts by Fxs
Old Jul 04, 2009, 05:39 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
and what about 106B owners?
i deducted the following:

iCharger 106Bs upgrading software:
http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/iC106B_V310.bin

is it ok?

[quote]If users press <Stop> or without any operation for 1 minute,...</quote>
15-20sec would be enough, just my pov
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:44 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I will mail that defective alligator clip to you, so you can see what I was talking about.
Sure - please send it on back or shoot me a picture and we'll take care of it. As far as connections on the DuraComm supplies, I will make sure the product description is more clear on the connectors used.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:54 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
David,

It is sometimes difficult for some of us to imagine but many do not have extra connectors laying around, so do not even own a soldering iron or know how to use one.

Some will only purchase LiPolys from vendors that will install the connector of their choice.

May I suggest charging perhaps $5 more for the PS with matching bullet connectors pre-installed and perhaps offer the same service with the chargers output power leads ,Deans Ultras, APP, etc. . There are those who really want a plug n play solution.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
David,

There are those who really want a plug n play solution.

Charles
Very likely far more than one suspects!
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:23 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Sep 2003
174 Posts
V3.10 loaded on my 208B perfectly. I love all of the new features, they work for me just as mentioned in the release notes. The IRís seem to be correct as well.

Hilde
Hilde is online now Find More Posts by Hilde
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:08 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Joined Aug 2005
1,259 Posts
Exactly what Charles said. If you want to reach a broader audience, you need to assume that people are not "solder savvy" and that they expect things to pretty much work out of the box.

As for me, it's just a minor annoyance to have to order additional parts. I know how to solder and have a multimeter. And that was a good thing this morning. Because I had of course long forgotten that Hyperion wire their balance plugs a little differently, and that I had moved the most negative lead in order for it to work with my Blinky. So it kept reporting Error until I figured it out. After that, it did not report Error anymore. It reported Battery Check Over Voltage. So I searched this thread and found one guy who had the same problem and traced it to a bad solder in a Dean. Why was he using a Dean?? I thought you just hooked these up to the balance harness and started it. I connected the Dean and it charged happily. Next challenge was charging my FlightPower pack, where it reported Low Voltage. That was because the two most negative connectors are both connected to the same point. A 4S pack and a 6 pin plug. So I disconnected the most negative one and it worked. Apparently, the charger was thinking that it was a 5S pack with a dead cell. So my multimeter came to good use this morning!

And don't tell me to read the manual. Why should I do that when I think I know what I am doing

By the way, I got one of these "Squids" connectors from A Main: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...xxas-Connector
Pretty nice I think. I got the charger from David because of the good deal on the DuraComm power supply .