HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:42 PM
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Joined Mar 2006
63 Posts
Series or parallel - does not really matter. The fact that you are using them in series does not call for doing the charging in series. You can freely charge the two packs one by one; in series or in parallel - or even cell by cell. Any of these methods will charge all of the cells and when setting them up for flight you are equally free to choose the flight configuration - series or parallel depending on your power train needs.

Basically the only thing you want to ensure is that the flight pack contains all the cells in similar state: all cells fully charged when you connect them to you plane / heli.

-mikko
saarisalo is offline Find More Posts by saarisalo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:46 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
Junsi, a suggestion for the next update: For the "general status" accessed with the dec button during charging, add the ability to change (as well as view) the capacity cut-off and the safety timer. This could be a >3 second start press, a short press going back to the charging screen.

This would avoid having to go back through the settings menu for these frequently changed parameters before charging.

The ability to change charge current while charging would be nice as well, but the capacity cut-off and safety timer are used globally, so they are easily missed before starting the charge.
Wyn is offline Find More Posts by Wyn
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:47 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
I am thinking of getting a 106B+ with the Duracomm LP-14N powersupply from progressive RC. At $30 the PSU looks like a real bargain.

Question 1: does Progressive RC take care of possible warranty issues, or will I have to wait for it to go to China and come back, if there are any issues?

Question 2: The built-in balance ports are the XH type that fits e.g. Common Sense packs, right? I have Common Sense, CellPro, Flightpower and Hyperion packs. I guess I will just buy a Hyperion adapter, connect Common Sense directly and use my Blinky-to-Flightpower adapter for the FP packs.

Does it make sense?

To me, it's a lot of money to spend on a charger, but I am really impressed by all the things it can do. Too cool!
jfrickmann is offline Find More Posts by jfrickmann
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:12 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Wyn - great idea. I love it and constantly forget to change my cut-off and safety timers, requiring me to restart a charge after it terminates early or stop a charge to change these parameters.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:15 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickmann
I am thinking of getting a 106B+ with the Duracomm LP-14N powersupply from progressive RC. At $30 the PSU looks like a real bargain.

Question 1: does Progressive RC take care of possible warranty issues, or will I have to wait for it to go to China and come back, if there are any issues?

Question 2: The built-in balance ports are the XH type that fits e.g. Common Sense packs, right? I have Common Sense, CellPro, Flightpower and Hyperion packs. I guess I will just buy a Hyperion adapter, connect Common Sense directly and use my Blinky-to-Flightpower adapter for the FP packs.

Does it make sense?

To me, it's a lot of money to spend on a charger, but I am really impressed by all the things it can do. Too cool!
You certainly can't find more power supply in a finished box with on/off switch for your $$. To answer your questions:

1.) Yes sir, handled here in the US by yours truly. If the need should ever arise you will be well taken care of.

2.) Yes, this makes perfect sense and as stated the built in ports are for JST-XH type, which will fit CSRC packs. Sounds like you've got the solution for you nailed. Let us know if you need any more help and I'm sure you will be impressed by the power, size, and flexibility of this charger.

Cheers,
David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:24 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Proper / Correct use of Settings?

OK perhps I have been thinking about the Save Settings / Load Settings all wrong.

Is the purpose of these really to have a memory # with all of the Setting such as termination voltage , balancing to start at , C / F, etc..Plus the Cell count and Charge Rate or are they really intended to contain the other Setting but not the cell count or charge rate?

Perhaps the Setting should be set (selected) and saved to a Memory # and perhaps named LiPo FBC (Fast Balance Charge). Then if recalled would be applied to all LiPoly charges until another Setting Selection was recalled(Loaded).

How about a N(ormal) F(ast) S(low) between the Battery type and Balance Chg for thise with short memories?

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 30, 2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:46 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
OK, I will take it then

It will be quite a step up from my trusty old Apache 2500!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:06 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Order rec'd and it will ship first thing in the morning, you will see tracking info at that time. I'd say a quantum leap from the ol' Apache . Enjoy!

- David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:55 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
OK perhps I have been thinking about the Save Settings / Load Settings all wrong.

Is the purpose of these really to have a memory # with all of the Setting such as termination voltage , balancing to start at , C / F, etc..Plus the Cell count and Charge Rate or are they really intended to contain the other Setting but not the cell count or charge rate?

Charles
I'm using two of the 1010B's and the memory appears to store everything including the cell count, for all battery types. Makes sense, but I just use one memory to store my most frequent settings for all battery types. Not that fond of memories in chargers, I'd rather set them on the fly.

BTW Charles, thanks for all the data posted in the other thread on the Hyperion G3's, putting connectors on some as I write...
Last edited by Wyn; Jun 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:58 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Wyn - great idea. I love it and constantly forget to change my cut-off and safety timers, requiring me to restart a charge after it terminates early or stop a charge to change these parameters.
Same here. If all the relevant parameters were adjustable from screens you get when you press "dec" while charging it would be perfect for me. No real need to set these type of parameters before starting the charge, plus you can double check them while charging.
Last edited by Wyn; Jun 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:30 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarisalo
Series or parallel - does not really matter. The fact that you are using them in series does not call for doing the charging in series. You can freely charge the two packs one by one; in series or in parallel - or even cell by cell. Any of these methods will charge all of the cells and when setting them up for flight you are equally free to choose the flight configuration - series or parallel depending on your power train needs.

Basically the only thing you want to ensure is that the flight pack contains all the cells in similar state: all cells fully charged when you connect them to you plane / heli.

-mikko
Thank you
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:56 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
I do not understand. Why would anyone want all of their Settings erased by a firmware update? There is already a means to reset to factory defaults.
Hello Charles,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, language barrier The upgrading firmware in the next version would close Rev.clear/erase, which would not clear preset memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn
Junsi, a suggestion for the next update: For the "general status" accessed with the dec button during charging, add the ability to change (as well as view) the capacity cut-off and the safety timer. This could be a >3 second start press, a short press going back to the charging screen.
Our engineer is taking some modification of it, and now it's still on test.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jul 01, 2009, 06:34 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Joined Aug 2005
1,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Order rec'd and it will ship first thing in the morning, you will see tracking info at that time. I'd say a quantum leap from the ol' Apache . Enjoy!

- David
Thanks!
Old Jul 01, 2009, 11:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
What's the latest firmware for the 208b?

Thanks
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jul 01, 2009, 11:16 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
To the best of my knowledge

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3970

That would be a Beta version. As I understand it after testing the approved / tested updates are added to the first post of this thread.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer