HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:30 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
I understand that to have the ability to set each memory seperately is more customizable but IMO it is a pain to have to set Settings for each memory and then save them.

I would prefer Low Voltage Cut Off, LiFe Termimantion Voltage ,LiPo .LiIo,and PB Termination Voltages,Delay between charge /discharge and such be Global with the ability to override any selected Memory Locations.

In other words Set LiFe termanation Voltage at say 3.65 ,LiPo at say 4.15,Completetaion Ring for 3Min., Temp to F, Low Voltage cut off at 11.0 Volts and when you Save Setting have them apply to all Memory Locations which match the appropiate Battery Types.

It will work fine as is but takes a rather long time to set many Memory Locations I have 7 set and most likely will be slow to add the remanining 3.

What would be really nice is the ability to Set Memores by way of the USB port and use drop down menues . It would also be easier if you could copy one Memory to another so that you could set one with all the LVC,Termination Voltage,Temp.,etc. save it then copy to another memory location and just chage the cell count and charge rate.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
So, I guess you are finding the same thing I am, or maybe not?
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:05 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Charles and me figured it out:
Just complain a lot, and eventually get stuff for free

Honestly, I'm glad Charles has one too, his experience can only be beneficial.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:37 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrogertoo
So, I guess you are finding the same thing I am, or maybe not?
I think perhaps you are missing a Step..

prior post of your's Snip:

Quote:
I have defaults set to 4.18 volts per cell in lipo "terminate" and "F" rather than "C" for internal and external temps, but if I use a preset, the factory defaults are resorted, i.e., 4.20 volts and "C."
When you changed LiPoly termination to 4.18 and crom C top F. which Memory Location did you save the changes to?

To me it appears that you must first set desired cell type,Program Select Lithium battery save to a Memory slot, go to Program Select setting again, change Termination ,C to F ,etc, then save those setting to the same Memory slot.

There may be an easier way. To me 8 hours is not a lot of time to get use to it and it was charging much of that time.

Hi Julez, I have been impressed with the quanity and quality of the suggestions for improvement you have made on these chargers.
Simple fact is that most of the time the end users never see the development work , Beta / Field testing that goes into such a product. Sometimes I refere to these chargers as the one developed on RC Groups.

Some may look at suggestions for improvements as complaints however I see them as opportunities to improve a product and make it better,easier to use,more powerful,user friendly and perhaps increase sells.

I have Beta / field tested a lot of RC items over the years and I have never had a manufactur / vendors call them complaints.

Charles
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:13 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
icharger 208B Program Settings made easier.

OK here is my first attempt at making setting such as C / F, Low volts cutoff, alternative termination voltages ,etc. easier to set for multi memory slots.

Pick a memory location, any will do but I suggest 00 as it is the default and if I use it for an important battery profile I want to save and use I will sooner or latter save over it by mistake.

Go into Program Select ( Page # 7) 5th down in left column. make desired changes , next go down 2 more in left hand colum and Save these to 00.,repeat for all Memory locations you desire these changes in.

Now you can load 00 which has all of you preferences already set, make changes such as Battery type, number of cells, charge rate,etc and save these changes to ANOTHER Memory location.
Once again I use 00 as a Scratch Pad as it is way to easy to Save yo it by mistake.

I set Memory 00 as a 1S battey so that it would be more obvious to me that it is my prefered settings.

Simple enough ?

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 28, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 08:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Surely there is a better way to 1. effect global settings without 2. having presets defeat them!

I think that for my purposes and desire to keep the global settings I'll just forgo using presets.

Your method is great and inventive, but assumes that 10 presets (9 using one as a "key") is enough.

So, for me, it's easier to make global changes and set the other parameters on each use.

Did I say I hate that "manual?"

Thanks.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Last edited by jollyrogertoo; Jun 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:11 PM
Johninarky
Rogers,Arkansas
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
Hi Charles & Jollyrogertoo,
I don't understand your presets getting changed. I have had an 1010b+ for a couple of months and have 8 of the memory slots programed. So far I haven't had them get changed.
Take an example of a new lipo setting. I push Inc & start at the same time to get to the load program. Load a previous setup that has similar or close to the same "Program Select Settings." Go to the program select settings and change any parameters you need to. I usually have to change the "capacity cut off" and sometimes the Lipo termination. Now push stop and then dec until you get back to the "Program Select Lithium Battery. Press start and then inc until you get the charge function you want. I always use the 1st, Lipo balance charge. Press start and make the changes, including the final start push. Now, push the dec & start at the same time and you will go direct to the save function. Press the inc until you get the new memory location number. Push start for 3 seconds. It will save the Lipo balance function you selected as the saved name. I like this, since as soon as I load a setup by pushing inc and start together, I go to this function with the current,voltage, and cell count, so I can be sure I got what I wanted.
If for this battery you wanted to set up the fast charge,storage charge, or cycle you can do this before you save the setup. Be sure to back up to the "Lipo Balance function" (to keep the name) before you press the dec & start.
If you have changed the Lipo termination setting, when you load setup the next time, the termination voltage will flash on and off with Li0x.
John
jlremr is offline Find More Posts by jlremr
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:11 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
jlremr Thanks but I was answering questions and posting opinions. My Presets do not get changed unless I copy over them. I was trying to discribe a simplier means to Set Prefered Setting which I feel should be Global Settings.

I tried you suggestion
Quote:
I push Inc & start at the same time to get to the load program.
and on my 208B it does not take me to Load program screen. perhaps they use a different key sequence.

Update:

Inc plus Start will take you to Load settings however you must hold for over 3 seconds.

Dec & Start for 3 ssec. will take you to Save Memory

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 28, 2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:29 PM
Electric speed junkie
Townsville
Joined May 2008
50 Posts
Hi all, just giving feedback about my issues I was having with one of my 208b's. I haven't experienced the issue again and after making a new set of 10awg charge leads they are both so close in characteristics that it isn't worth mentioning. I also changed the balancing to start at storage voltage which seems to speed up charging on older packs that are somewhat naturally unbalanced.
StrykerSpeed is offline Find More Posts by StrykerSpeed
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:47 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
iCharger 208B Balance leads adapter

The balancing boards for this charger are very good but I really dislike such boards. 98% of my batteries are 3-5S with either Hyperion or Thunder Power balancing connectors so I made up a multi connector pigail as I have for my other chargers.

Hyperion requires a different connector for 3S ,4S and 5S while the Thunder Power one will work with 2S-5S. The end which connects to the charger is in fact a Hyperion 6S pigtail which I merely trimed the latch off of. Only requirement is that it be connected negative (pin #1) to the correct location which is to the far right.

Charles
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:06 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Charles,
I notice that you have an Anderson Powerpole style connector on your charger's connection to its power supply. Do you find them better - less resistance and more sturdy - than the usual 4mm banana plugs?

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Well actually I have not cut off the bullets yet but I will. Right now I am using bullets to APP adapter. I use APPs on all of my ground based equipment. Chargers inputs,power supply out puts, in-line watt meters, and my two 12V 125Ah Deep Cyle batteries which I use as a filed power source.

I find the APPs convient,very low loose, and idiot proof. No way to connected them reversed polarity,no exposed hot leads,etc. and as I have a rather good set of crimper they are super quick and easy to install.

Charles
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:54 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Combined improvement suggestions

Quote:
Some may look at suggestions for improvements as complaints however I see them as opportunities to improve a product and make it better,easier to use,more powerful,user friendly and perhaps increase sells.

I have Beta / field tested a lot of RC items over the years and I have never had a manufactur / vendors call them complaints.
Right, I was just kidding.

Here, in this post, I want to post the yet unadressed improvement suggestions, which are scattered throughout the thread, and some new ones.

1) Larger Steps in charge/discharge current programming.
In my opinion, when one adjusts larger currents, the steps should also become larger, so that it needs less time to set a current. Noone would really set 10.1A or 16.7A
So my suggestion is:
>2A: 0.2A steps
>5A: 0.5A steps
>10A: 1A steps

This should be sufficient.

2) Rollover menu, implemented in 208B, but not the other chargers:
When one increases the biggest current, the display starts at the smallest current, and vice versa, like:
9.8A+9.9A+10A+0.05A+0.1A
or
0.1A-0.05A-10A-9.9A-9.8A

This means, that one does not have to scroll through the whole current range to get from one extreme value to the other.

3) Individual cell discharge voltage setting for Nixx discharge.
In the Lixx discharge program, one can set the cell count and the cutoff voltage per cell.
In the Nixx discharge program, one can only set the total cutoff voltage.
I find this slightly confusing and a little inconvenient.
If you have a 13 cell pack, and you want to discharge to 0.85V/cell, whats the total cutoff voltage? Anyone? Fetching a calculator is inconvenient, and calculating a wrong voltage by mental math is possibly dangerous.

Therefore, my suggestion would be, to make the Nixx discharge program in the same way as the Lixx discharge program, with the following parameters:
1) current
2) cell count
3) cutoff voltage per cell

4) Nixx fitness program.
The forming charge already has made it easier to care about our packs.
But to be totally sure that a pack is healthy, one needs at least one discharge cycle to check the capacity. If one wants to fly again afterwards, one needs to charge again.
This whole process could be automated.
I suggest the following algorithm:

a) enter pack capacity and cell count as in forming charge mode.
b) the charger makes a forming charge.
c) The charger makes a discharge according to the programmed discharge parameters.
d) The charger charges according to the programmed charge parameters.
e) If the discharged capacity is less than 90% of the capacity entered in (a), (c) and (d) are repeated until the capacity increase between the individual discharges is less then 5% of the capacity entered in (a).

This way, when I have a pack lying around, and I want to fly next day, all I need to do is to activate the Nixx fitness program.
The pack will automatically be formed, discharged to check the capacity, and cycled, should the initial capcity not be sufficient. At the end, there is always the charge (d), so that I will always have a fully charged pack the next day, no matter what.
These are all steps that would normally require a lot of human interaction.

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Jun 28, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:52 AM
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
1) Larger Steps in charge/discharge current programming.
In my opinion, when one adjusts larger currents, the steps should also become larger, so that it needs less time to set a current. Noone would really set 10.1A or 16.7A
So my suggestion is:
>2A: 0.2A steps
>5A: 0.5A steps
>10A: 1A steps

This should be sufficient.
This is the only change I'd disagree with. I like the precision steps. When I have an oddball pack that's rated for 4300mAh, that's where I like it to be set, exactly at 4.3 A. I'm charging any cell(s) I come across on my 208B, and want that precision. Call me OCD, but I like exact, matching numbers. Besides, wasn't this already addressed with steps that went faster the longer the button was held? I seem to remember that coming up, and being implemented.

All other recommendations, perfect, spot-on!
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:14 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
I'm with Chainring, all except #1 look good. I prefer the current precise steps. I often do controlled testing where I like to set the current to the tenth of an amp as it can provides more consistent and comparable data when analyzing different size cells.

Great work as usual Julez - thanks!

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member