HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:11 PM
mm2
Joined Aug 2007
51 Posts
One interesting thing I have found on iC1010B+ (and I would like to know if it's a bug or per-purpose):

When I charge LiPo in Balance Charge mode and disconnect balance cable, it stops charging saying "Balance Port Not Connect". This is as expected.

However, if I charge LiPo in Charge mode having balance cable connected from beginning of the charging process and disconnect balance cable during charge, iC1010B+ resets itself (beep, displaying firmware revision, ... like a reboot or power-on).

A bug or per-purpose?
mm2 is offline Find More Posts by mm2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:02 PM
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2002
61 Posts
iCharger USB Driver Installer (refer to Post 3927)

OK, as suggested, I tried it. When I connected the charger to the PC using the supplied cable, I got the new hardware detected message along with other messages associated with installing the CP2101 USB drivers.

I ran the Upgrader program and it did detect the charger. I already have the latest firmware installed so I will not test the upgrade function.

I installed LogView. used port "COM4 CP2101 USB to UART Bridge Controller Silicon Laboratories" and it appears to work. As a test I discharged a 4 cell reveiver pack and data is being recording.
MikeKucera is offline Find More Posts by MikeKucera
Last edited by MikeKucera; Jun 26, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:25 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Ha! Well, I happen to care a bit what ol' Charles thinks and I know a few others around here do as well. Sending a charger his way will certainly bring out the truth, be it good or bad you can count on him for brutal honesty.

As for me, I've got a Schulze, an Orbit, and a Hobbico Elite gathering dust while I work out a trifecta (106B+, 1010B+, and 208B) at the moment charging everything from my NiCD Makita drill battery, to some 100Ah LiFe cells, and some 6S lipos.

Speaking of 100Ah cells - ever wonder what happens on the display after 100,000 mAh? See attached snaphshot of a charge on a 1010B+ after 10+ hours at 10A.

- David
Well my nice mailman delivered my icharger 208B right before lunch so I discharged a 5S A123 2300 ,put it on the 208B set charge rate at 20A and pressed Start.

Input to 208B a measured by Inspector Wattmeter 12.14V / 24A / 291 watts input .

208B 14.5V / 17.6A which equals 255 watts output.

3.437 Ah used from PS and 2.104 Ah delivered to battery in 16:02 ..
I have posted many times that on average it requires approx. .66Ah to charge a A123 cell . .66X5=3.3Ah so efficiency looks very good at first glance.

This battery has been setting for months so ran two more cycles to see how it went.

Third charge with balance set Storage charge rate 20 but 15 being delivered due to only 12V input.
2,122 mAh in 15:02

That be pretty darn fast for filling an empty 5s 2300 A123 with only 12.2 V PS and is fast as I care to charge a warm A123 anyway.

No if I can just get use t oget another chargers operation.
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 26, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:44 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
I do not need one and shall not purchase one. If you read the thread twice ythen you are aware of the bananan jacks(sockets) that were to small ,the coil arcing to the case,the PCB being bowed, loose screws in th case and numerious other issues.

I have purchased many chargers over the years and have many other that I Beta tested. What do all of my chargers have in common? They worked first time ,and everytime since.

Once upon a time I did consider a iCharger to be used for battery cycling(with external load) but I do not have the patience to send a charger back across the seas and wait 4 to 6 weeks for repairs/replacemnt to arrive.

Charles

Quote:
Well my nice mailman delivered my icharger 208B right before lunch so I discharged a 5S A123 2300 ,put it on the 208B set charge rate at 20A and pressed Start.

Input to 208B a measured by Inspector Wattmeter 12.14V / 24A / 291 watts input .

208B 14.5V / 17.6A which equals 255 watts output.

3.437 Ah used from PS and 2.104 Ah delivered to battery in 16:02 ..
I have posted many times that on average it requires approx. .66Ah to charge a A123 cell . .66X5=3.3Ah so efficiency looks very good at first glance.

This battery has been setting for months so ran two more cycles to see how it went.

Third charge with balance set Storage charge rate 20 but 15 being delivered due to only 12V input.
2,122 mAh in 15:02

That be pretty darn fast for filling an empty 5s 2300 A123 with only 12.2 V PS and is fast as I care to charge a warm A123 anyway.

No if I can just get use t oget another chargers operation.
Charles
My, how things change....
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:48 PM
Joined May 2006
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
My, how things change....
You missed the post where they offered to send him a free one.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socomon
You missed the post where they offered to send him a free one.
No, I didn't miss that post. Everything changes when the price is free!
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Excellent start, Charles. I, for one, can't wait to see what kinds of things you find out with the 208B, be it good or bad. It's super easy to use, and setup for your own specific needs. Only thing I haven't investigated is the memory, as in, what parameters are stored.
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
Joined May 2006
8,113 Posts
Well to be fair, if one already has a charger that performs well, there is little incentive to investigate another at your own cost . . . but yes, I understand your point.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring
Excellent start, Charles. I, for one, can't wait to see what kinds of things you find out with the 208B, be it good or bad. It's super easy to use, and setup for your own specific needs. Only thing I haven't investigated is the memory, as in, what parameters are stored.
Using presets causes a problem for me: I have defaults set to 4.18 volts per cell in lipo "terminate" and "F" rather than "C" for internal and external temps, but if I use a preset, the factory defaults are resorted, i.e., 4.20 volts and "C." Junsi advises I must be doing something wrong, but I don't think so.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:46 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
I use the hell out of my presets, with a lot of them used to store different termination voltages for experimental LiFe cells.

For example, I have one titled 3.65V and another titled 3.80V. When I call up this saved setting the LiFe charge termination voltage is changed to that of the saved setting.

Saving and loading settings couldn't be any easier, although it does take some effort to name them as you'd expect since you have to scroll through the ABCs.

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:52 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Quote:
Well my nice mailman delivered my icharger 208B right before lunch ...
I'm glad the charger arrived safely and is already getting put to work. Powerful little booger, huh? Most people are first surprised by the compact package these 300+ watt chargers are shoehorned in. Most other chargers are 2x as big.

Looks like 88-95% efficiency depending on which numbers you do the math with. All who have measured efficiency ratings have found the iChargers to be considerably more efficient than other chargers.

I think you'll find the controls quite simple and intuitive as you get going. Thanks to the help of many users here operation is very refined and streamlined, but let us know if you have any questions.

Looking forward to your future thoughts and results. Enjoy and have fun flying! Don't spend all your time charging/discharging .

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:15 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrogertoo
Using presets causes a problem for me: I have defaults set to 4.18 volts per cell in lipo "terminate" and "F" rather than "C" for internal and external temps, but if I use a preset, the factory defaults are resorted, i.e., 4.20 volts and "C." Junsi advises I must be doing something wrong, but I don't think so.
Had the same problem first two times I tried. I was leaving out a step and perhaps you are also. After setting Program Select Settings be sure to go to Program Select Save Settings.

Charles
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Well, I have "saved" two presets, and when I use either, THE FACTORY defaults return.

Can you be more specific?

God I hate that "manual."

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:26 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Page 7 Flow Chart

Program Select
Settings

Scroll to LiPo termination hold start set to 4.18 also change C to F and any other charges you desire.

Now Go down to

Program Select
Save Setting

I have not figured out if the are Global or need to save to each Memory location. I hope they are Global as it would be more logical to me but.........

Just checked and they are not Global so you have to set and save for each Memory Location.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 26, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Yes, that is my experience, too.

So, I guess it is not a defect but it certainly is inconvenient.

Why in the world would using a "preset" for A123 batteries CAUSE ALL OTHER GLOBAL VALUES TO BE RESET TO FACTORY VALUES?

Here is what happens to me: I have 2 presents, one for 2300 A123 and the other for 1100 A123. However, my lipo termination is set to 4.18 WITH NO PRESET, as is "F" rather than "C." Oddly, if I don't use the presets, my changes remain BUT IF I USE EITHER PRESET all factory values are restored! (Using presets also hoses my 60% display value and 30 watt discharge!)
Last edited by jollyrogertoo; Jun 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM.