Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:34 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Both work, serial is more error-prone, more dangerous and in most cases slower. It is also only suitable for well matched packs of identical capacity and very similar age, impedance and near identical state of charge.

Parallel is easier, safer and more flexible. Packs must be the same cell-count but can otherwise be very different. So long as they are within about 0.3V you will be good to go.

With the stock JST-XH balance adapter board and a few moments work with a hobby knife you can charge 4 3s lipos in parallel at a time once you have parallel adapters for the main power leads.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:30 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McGill from different thread
I see no issue parallel charging my newer batteries, but what about older ones I use regularly. I am assuming parallel charging two 3s lipos, is having the charger put out a balanced charge to three cells and the cells that are paired will self regulate or balance if their resistance is similar. Lets say I have two identical 3s batteries that have a tired cell, which I actually do. Internal cell resistance on one is 8,8,51, other 8,48,10. Charger in parallel, will only see three cells on balance port, instead of the six. Now the charger is pushing to reach 4.2v into a pair of cells in parallel both with resistance of 8, all good, another 4.2v into a pair of paralleled cells with resistance of 8 and 48 respectively, and another 4.2v into a pair of paralleled cells with internal resistance of 51 and 10. When the two batteries are disconected after and measured, would it be that due to the resistance of the tired cells, to acheive the final full charge voltage that the cells with higher resistance would recieve less charge and the cells with lower resistance get over charged, since while paired the total of the two are 4.2v but the higher resistance cells forced incoming charge to go to path of least resistance?? Is there a danger of this happening?

Never had a charger that could measure resistance before now. Information can be a dangerous thing in the hands of those with more questions than answers, like myself, lol.
Other thread is here.

Since this issue is getting discussed here, thought I would add some related questions here myself.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovic
Have you any idea when arriving the new Charger 208B+ with performance FETs? Planing Hill-rc this charge soon?
I inquired of and received a reply from Junsi about this, who advised there are no "plans" for a 208b+.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:43 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
Hi all, Ive been reading this post for a long long time, but not regulary,...So I think that my question surely has ben asked and responsed, but I cant find it...

First to all, and for the people that suspect, Im not a seller and I think is one of the best chargers on the market. Im working on the calibration laboratory of electric signal of the national institute of aerospace technics in Spain (INTA), and the first thing I done when I recieved the charger is to check how accurate is the balancing, it was an awesome diference of less than 0.5mV between cells (measured with Agilent 3458). Id repeated the measurements 4 or 5 times and always was less than 0.5mV.
The diference between cell V and monitored cell V, always was less than 15mV.
If it was luck, maybe, but I dont think so.

And here is the question,... does the pins of the balancing ports (106b+) "joined" between ports? or they are independent?
I mean if the pin 1 of all ports is the same line (I think so...)

Im trying to get a balance board to charge 2x3s lipos but I cant find it. Also Id searched for a web that sells the conectors one by one but I didnt find it...

And Im thinking to sand the guide of the battery conector to make it fit on larger ports.

The idea is to charge it in series, conecting one batery to 3s port and the other to the 6s port, conecting the first pin of the battery in the fourth pin.

If it is, it may work with 2s, you might use 2s, 4s and 6s ports to do it

Im right?

Ps:Thanks to junsi, julez, kgfly and everyone who has helped to develop it! is great to have a brand that hear the customer comments, its very unusual!
hahaha junsi, you may send a gift to these guys!! (maybe a sponsorship??)
Dont worry its just a joke!
shiv is offline Find More Posts by shiv
Last edited by shiv; Jun 24, 2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:54 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Hello Shiv,

The simple solution to your problem is to get one of the standard Junsi balance boards for the 208B or 1010B and an adapter cable that plugs into the 6S balance port on the 106B+. That will then allow you to charge 2 x 3S in series (and with the JST-XH adapter board, up to 4 x 3S in parallel).

You can get them from here: http://www.progressiverc.com/106B+.html
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
Thank you kgfly, all that Id found was for 10s (1010b).!! And the shipping on all is more expensieve than the product!!

But do you know if my solution will work? It can be a solution to not carrying the balancer to everywhere...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:48 AM
Battling on regardless
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Sep 2006
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Both work, serial is more error-prone, more dangerous and in most cases slower. It is also only suitable for well matched packs of identical capacity and very similar age, impedance and near identical state of charge.

Parallel is easier, safer and more flexible. Packs must be the same cell-count but can otherwise be very different. So long as they are within about 0.3V you will be good to go.

With the stock JST-XH balance adapter board and a few moments work with a hobby knife you can charge 4 3s lipos in parallel at a time once you have parallel adapters for the main power leads.
Ok, If so what is the proceedure? Do I hook the batteries to the power out of the charger (all in parallel) and also the balance conector of each pack to the balance board? Or is there mods to be done? The reason I ask is I tried hooking to the board and the power out and as soon as I hooked the second pack it burnt the circut out between pack #1 and pack #2. I can fix it but I want to know, did I do something wrong or is it faulty? No point fixing it if there is a fault that will happen again. I would have though that, that is how it is set up from factory. Otherwise why is there 3 3cell ports?

Regards,
Andrew.
Kombatant is offline Find More Posts by Kombatant
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:10 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv
[]And here is the question,... does the pins of the balancing ports (106b+) "joined" between ports? or they are independent?
I mean if the pin 1 of all ports is the same line (I think so...)
[]
Hi Shiv, thanks for your reassuring measurements.

I assume you have a 106B+? Here, all the balancing ports are in parallel. I routinely charge in parallel from this charger by plugging extension cables like the ones in this picture into the different ports.

Quote:
Ps:Thanks to junsi, julez, kgfly and everyone who has helped to develop it! is great to have a brand that hear the customer comments, its very unusual!
hahaha junsi, you may send a gift to these guys!! (maybe a sponsorship??)
Dont worry its just a joke!
Thanks, it's a pleasure to work with Junsi.
I really can't complain, just recently I got a 208B and a CellLog for free, and both work just great!

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:59 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
You are true, julez, today, at the lab, Ive done a pair of checks with the multimeter, the pins are joined starting by the ground pins. (as it should be XD)

I mean pin 1 by 1, 2 by 2,.. etc, so I can charge two 3s batteries in series sanding the port guide of the battery connector and conectingone of the batteries in the 3cell port and the other in the last 4 pins of the 6 cell port.

Id thinked on charging it in paralell, but I only have two lipos, and if I can charge it in series and check constantly the tension of each cell, it should be better than parallel, because you only can check the tension of a pair of parallel cells, not individually. I know, that in parallel, the volts are the same for each cell (if they have the same R) but when you connect them, if one cell is more charged than other, I think this cell will drain current to the other. If the difference is high, the current will be high for a little.

If Im wrong, please, tell me.

PS: congrats for your hard work and your gifts!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 03:57 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,206 Posts
Hi Shiv,

be assured that non of the mentioned problems happens in reality.
Charging in series is perfectly safe and simple, when sticking to a few simple rules, which can be found in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

Just do it, you will like it and slap yourself on the forehead for not having done it before.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:35 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
Thank u julez, Ill read the post to see what is more convenient to me.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:45 PM
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2002
61 Posts
iCharger USB Driver Installer

I have the 106B+ and when I run the iCharger USB Driver Installer (Driver Version 5.3) I get a notice about conflicting drivers (see attachment). The installation can not be completed until the conflicting driver sets are removed which I am very hesitant to do. Has anybody else had this happen?
MikeKucera is offline Find More Posts by MikeKucera
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:31 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,206 Posts
Have you tried running the charger without installing the driver?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:30 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,168 Posts
Sorry, duplicate post..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Last edited by bmutlugil; Jun 26, 2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:32 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,168 Posts
I did not have that problem, but I get a Windows error or warning everytime I stop the program. When I acknowledge it, no harm is done.

As Julez said, it may work directly.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil