SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
No offense, but I beg to differ with your statement on QC. I've read many of the posts in this thread and the vast majority of posts are folks experiencing a problem in one way or another. The QC certainly does not appear to be anywhere near where the top of the line chargers are.

In fact, several of the problems reported here I've never even heard of happening with other charger brands.

While I seriously considered an iCharger as I'm a charger aficionado myself, I decided to hold off for the time being. The QC and reliability just don't seem to be what I'm looking for in a charger at the moment.
David can speak for himself, but I'd be willing to bet he's sold many more iChargers that haven't come back vs. ones that have. Fact is, we'll ALWAYS hear more about the problems in this thread than praises. People come here for tips, and problem solving, not to say "yep, she's purring like a kitten.".

I'm not going to say there aren't, or weren't any QC issues, not at all. I will say that I have knowingly bought into chargers that are actively having kinks worked out, and that I fully accept any glitches. Fortunately, I haven't had any of those glitches. To those that have, I'm sorry, but you do have some great support and chargers that are being actively developed.
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:34 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring
David can speak for himself, but I'd be willing to bet he's sold many more iChargers that haven't come back vs. ones that have.
First, let me say I have absolutely nothing against David, but the fact is he has a vested interested in selling iChargers.

I would certainly hope he's sold more than have come back. Would anyone sell a charger with a > 50% failure rate? I'm sure folks would still buy 'em, but....

Quote:
Fact is, we'll ALWAYS hear more about the problems in this thread than praises. People come here for tips, and problem solving, not to say "yep, she's purring like a kitten.".
If that's a fact then it equally applies to every other charger as well. The number of iCharger problems reported here speak for themselves. If you don't agree, then kindly refer us to any thread on here of any other comparable chargers that has anywhere near the same number of problems?

Quote:
I'm not going to say there aren't, or weren't any QC issues, not at all. I will say that I have knowingly bought into chargers that are actively having kinks worked out, and that I fully accept any glitches. Fortunately, I haven't had any of those glitches. To those that have, I'm sorry, but you do have some great support and chargers that are being actively developed.
To each his own. When I spend my hard earned money I look for products with a proven track record. I don't accept fundamental glitches and I don't use my money to help fund the debugging process. Now, no product is perfect, but some of the basic fundamental issues should have been caught long before some of the iChargers went out the door.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:36 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrogertoo
Where'd you hear about this one?

Dang, I just bought the 208b.
News to me as well - I've heard nothing of this development. Might I ask the source of your information Petrovic?

Quote:
First, let me say I have absolutely nothing against David, but the fact is he has a vested interested in selling iChargers...
Right on brother Pete. This fact actually bothers me considerably as well - it was so much simpler before I sold chargers, now I have to be much more careful so as not to be misconstrued and to remain as impartial as possible.

I for one am sincerely glad you hang around here Pete, despite not owning an iCharger, and appreciate the opinions you offer.

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by write2dgray; Jun 22, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Quote:
First, let me say I have absolutely nothing against David, but the fact is he has a vested interested in selling iChargers.

I would certainly hope he's sold more than have come back. Would anyone sell a charger with a > 50% failure rate? I'm sure folks would still buy 'em, but....

If that's a fact then it equally applies to every other charger as well. The number of iCharger problems reported here speak for themselves. If you don't agree, then kindly refer us to any thread on here of any other comparable chargers that has anywhere near the same number of problems?

To each his own. When I spend my hard earned money I look for products with a proven track record. I don't accept fundamental glitches and I don't use my money to help fund the debugging process. Now, no product is perfect, but some of the basic fundamental issues should have been caught long before some of the iChargers went out the door.

I felt like this some time ago, and continued to watch "the thread."

When the trend improved, I bought a 1010b+ and a 208b: both are fine chargers and, so far, no obvious defects though I am "concerned" about the internal "coil thing" on the 208.

My Hyperion Duo 2 gently weeps....
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:11 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
And fixed.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3644
It was more of a band aid, with the kapton tape, but now it's a physical modification to create the required clearance.
Oh yes, they have a picture of a revised LCD screen which allows more clearance for the coil, but we have yet to see any confirmation from other 208B owners that this fix has made it into the product line yet.

What bugs me most about this issue is that it first occurred about a year ago in the 106B line and they eventually got it fixed. Then when making a new charger did they learn from their mistakes? No. That is what troubles me, I don't mind opening the case and grinding away a little to create clearance. Also annoying is that Junsi shipped a new charger line knowing this was a problem (I guess they did not want to wait for the new LCD screens to avoid a delay in product launch).

The iCharger 208B has been a decent product for me. The fan needed a little help, the case to coil clearance needed some help, and my request to add a 10S A123 discharge function have been shot down, but it still represents a very powerful charger with large watts to dollar ratio. I've been doing a lot of testing of my Multi4 charger lately so about all the use the 208B has been getting is as a 30W discharger, but sinking 30W internally for several hours is no gentle test and if it was a piece of junk it would have died by now. Hopefully I'll have my review finished in a week or two.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jun 22, 2009, 03:09 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray

Right on brother Pete. This fact actually bothers me considerably as well - it was so much simpler before I sold chargers, now I have to be much more careful so as not to be misconstrued and to remain as impartial as possible.

I for one am sincerely glad you hang around here Pete, despite not owning an iCharger, and appreciate the opinions you offer.

Cheers,
David
Hi David, thanks for the kind words. I'm sure trying to be objective yet impartial is a difficult balancing act.

Although I do not own an iCharger today it doesn't mean I won't own one in the future. I'm glad David is here providing on-line support and handling sales and warranty service for these in the USA. I've never ordered anything from Hobby King and based on their level of customer service I don't plan on ordering anything from them anytime soon.

I'm also glad to see Junsi here regularly providing service and support as well as soliciting feedback for enhancements.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:19 AM
Fxs
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
Hello,

i have another question to the Junsi iCharger 1010B+. I also fly methanol powerd engines and at the last flight my pb battery died (after 15 years). Instead to use the battery, i have the idea to use the foam cut program with the settings 1,8 Volts and 3,5 Ampere, because i see no difference between the foam cut wire and an glow plug - which worked fine. Is this ok, or could cause this an serious damage over time to the charger due plug and unplug the glow plug connector (volt or ampere peaks??)?

thanks in advance

Franz
Fxs is offline Find More Posts by Fxs
Last edited by Fxs; Jun 23, 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 01:48 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
May I be the first to say, welcome to the forums Franz!

I don't see any problem with using the hotwire driver as a glow plug driver. In both applications you're heating a resistive wire; the charger can't tell the difference between nichrome and platinum, and the current and voltage are within spec.

I don't think you can successfully start the hotwire mode without having the plug hooked up, so there likely won't be any spikes until you go to unplug (without stopping the process on the charger). I wouldn't be worried too much about voltage spikes though; iChargers have adequate protection in that area.

FWIW, you could just hook your field box power panel (or whatever you have going on) to your car battery. Basically use your car's pb instead of your flight box's pb. I've done that several times in a pinch when my flight box ran out of juice. The torque from the starter is awesome with an auto sized pb acid compared to a 9Ah pb gel.

Cheers,
Kev

ps: I respect Charle's opinion. I've read many of his posts, and over time I've noted in areas where I've had a lot of personal experience we tend to agree... ie: he doesn't bs, and he gets to the point with admirable efficiency. I look forward to his review.
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Jun 23, 2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 02:57 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,279 Posts
Hi Franz,

certainly there is no problem in doing what wou suggest, but be sure to program very low values first, and work your way up until the plug glows orange.

However, for me, it would be to complicated to program some complicated device just to power a glow plug, not to mention the oily residues which are likley to be found on the charger if used near a running engine.

I use such a glow plug clip, and mounted a single cell AA holder on the top side. With an AA Eneloop cell, it has just the right power, and works very well and uncomplicated.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:50 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Nice idea for the clip Julez! I'm still using the glow plug clip my dad gave me 22 years ago. If it ever fails I'll have to make one like yours.

1cell alk/nixx glow ignitors are convenient, but they just don't work on "hot" glow plugs, which need more voltage to glow (about 2V). That's why I'm still hanging on to my old field box power panel. I have thought about building a circuit to upgrade my 20 year old panel's glow driver from linear to PWM to reduce current draw, but that's a whole other subject.

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: Here's a reference I use for glowplugs:
http://www.fubarhill.com/GLOW.htm

It does a good job of briefly explaining what makes a glowplug tick, and it includes a decent glowplug chart.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Jun 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 01:33 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,171 Posts
I have a homebuilt glow driver (not my design) that is PWM based and has temperature feedback, so the drive increases when the plug is flooded. It does not need a power switch as well, the plug completes the circuit. It is decades old, I don't remember when I built it. I can try to find the circuit if anyone is interested. I guess it was published in Flug + Modell Technik.

I had reasonable success with one cell Nicads before that. I used the wet electrolyte batteries - the type with the KOH electrolyte replacable.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:35 PM
Fxs
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
May I be the first to say, welcome to the forums Franz!

I don't see any problem with using the hotwire driver as a glow plug driver. In both applications you're heating a resistive wire; the charger can't tell the difference between nichrome and platinum, and the current and voltage are within spec.
Yes, this was my consideration. I did it last week, and it works fine.
Quote:
I don't think you can successfully start the hotwire mode without having the plug hooked up, so there likely won't be any spikes until you go to unplug (without stopping the process on the charger). I wouldn't be worried too much about voltage spikes though; iChargers have adequate protection in that area.
No, when you chose the foam cut program, and set the Volt and Ampere you can also define the run duration in minutes. Then you need to start the program, the charger starts and waits until you shortcut the circuit. After this i connect the glow plug clip and then i see on the power over time eg. 3-4 watts. It works perfect! In the past i saw always some flashes when i connect the clip, this was the reason why i asked if the charger has a problem with this... Is it helpful when i implement in the circuit a capacitor to protect the charger?
Quote:
FWIW, you could just hook your field box power panel (or whatever you have going on) to your car battery. Basically use your car's pb instead of your flight box's pb. I've done that several times in a pinch when my flight box ran out of juice. The torque from the starter is awesome with an auto sized pb acid compared to a 9Ah pb gel.
Indeed, normaly the solution, but i have not such an power panel and an starter. I fly normaly all my engines without nitro and starts manually. There was simply no need for this;-)

It is simply the best charger i've ever had, and i won't kill it. So, i think i'm looking for a power panel or a similar solution like Julez posted.

Thanks Franz
Quote:
Cheers,
Kev

ps: I respect Charle's opinion. I've read many of his posts, and over time I've noted in areas where I've had a lot of personal experience we tend to agree... ie: he doesn't bs, and he gets to the point with admirable efficiency. I look forward to his review.
Last edited by Fxs; Jun 23, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:46 PM
Fxs
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Hi Franz,

certainly there is no problem in doing what wou suggest, but be sure to program very low values first, and work your way up until the plug glows orange.

However, for me, it would be to complicated to program some complicated device just to power a glow plug, not to mention the oily residues which are likley to be found on the charger if used near a running engine.

I use such a glow plug clip, and mounted a single cell AA holder on the top side. With an AA Eneloop cell, it has just the right power, and works very well and uncomplicated.
Hi Julez,

programming is not such an issue, only at the first time - the parameters will be stored in the charger. Main point is the cable salad every time and the oil contaminated fingers... Therfore, i'm looking for such an single cell holder from a local electronics dealer and that is it...

Thanks Franz
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:29 AM
Battling on regardless
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Sep 2006
311 Posts
Help to understand multi pack charging.

Ahhhhhh, I can't read any more.....LOL

I have just received the 1010B+. My question is do I charge multiple packs in series or in parallel? I mostly use 3S1P 2200-2500mAh packs, so, charging as many as possible at once is appealing. I don't think I'd go to the extent of the guy I saw further back in the thread with 2 balance boards and 8 packs hooked up. That looked a wiring nightmare .
Advice much apreciated,

Andrew.
Kombatant is offline Find More Posts by Kombatant
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:23 AM
Joined May 2009
54 Posts
Many people say that chargin in parallel works flawlessly. I can however not believe it.
The parallel-link of the balancer port is going to flatten the Voltage to one value. However this voltage may not really reflect the voltage of both cells, thus - even though the charging will work fine, it may be right for one cell and wrong for the other one. The result - up to you to decide.
My advice - serial charging - as each cell is going to be watched explicitely...
Smurphy_ is offline Find More Posts by Smurphy_