HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2009, 01:28 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makiedog
Would 2 X 106B+ be the way to go?
You need only one 106B+ if you charge the packs in parallel, assuming 1C charge (4.2V x 6 x 10A = 252W). The powersupply should also be sufficient.
Do a search in this thread for parallel charging.

Edit: too late anyway...

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2009, 03:03 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmutlugil
...Is it possible to change the charge or discharge current without disturbing the operation?

...Second question related with discharging to storage voltage, do I have to do this using the balance connector?

Thanks,

Bulent
You have to restart the charge to change the current setting.

The balancing plug is only required for lipo balance charge mode.

Research has shown that it is best to balance only when charging to full capacity, and the iCharger follows those rules (or is updated as the rules change ). However, plugging the balance jack in for any lipo process is worth the effort, since it does add safety. If you plug in the balance jack, the iCharger will monitor cell voltages, adjusting current or stopping the process altogether such that the cell voltages remain in "spec" (ie 3.0V to 4.2V for lipos). After all, it is remotely possible for a cell in an old/abused pack to go out of spec during a storage process.

Kev

[edit: FYI, a while ago good buddy commented to me about how hard it can be to pull out those JST balancing plugs; I whole heartedly agreed. I found out when I shave off the tabs from the top of the connector on the battery, they slide out with ease. They still make a solid and reliable connection, as long as you're not dangling the pack off the table with it's balance wires. After testing one out for a few weeks I liked it; now all my packs are "shaved".]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Jun 10, 2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:55 AM
Joined Oct 2005
7 Posts
Hello to all of France,
I know that my message will lose its understanding in the potion of the translator, but I did want to express my appreciation to the receipt of my IC 106 B +.
I would like to thank the company that produces it.
I now have a good charger, and above all I can once again believe in ethical trading.
Gérard
gebefra is offline Find More Posts by gebefra
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:48 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Thanks Kev,

I noticed after reading the manual that the current can be changed during the discharge process, by pressing the 'Start' button, but not during charging - I wonder why not.. Maybe the software can be modified to permit that (by Junsi), if there is nothing that makes it difficult. When I reset the charge process, the registered capacity is lost and everything starts over. I can only store the old values through Logview, I guess.. If the charger stores that data I don't know where..

By using the charger, I already have found some working LiIon batteries from old laptop packs lying around. Yesterday I put a few cells in my portable hand drill, whose NiCds were starting to fail.

I really like this charger..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Last edited by bmutlugil; Jun 11, 2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:28 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
You have to restart the charge to change the current setting.
IMO that is a bad thing for experienced users. One thing I allways liked about AF109 is that you just turn the knob to go anywhere from 0 to 9 amp during charging. TP1010C lets you increase by I believe 1/3 of set start rate but now the Hyperions let you increase or decrease at will charging or discharging. Cell Pro 10 also alows no change during charging which I dislike.
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:36 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
I have 4 4S Rhino packs which each have cell IRs of 2-3mOhms, some Hyperion G3s which are around 5 - 6 mOhms and some dualsky lipos which come in at a huge 25mOhms.
Cell's IRs without the size (capacity ) of the battery means nothing much at all.

Same cells except for size. 500 mAh / 25 m Ohm --- 1000 mAh 12.5 mOhm.

IRs also effected by age,number of cycles,condition,temperature,charge rate,state of charge and a bunch more.

FYI Hyp VX G3 3S 3300

Charge # 21 on Cell Pro10 @ 6 amps. 2,591 mAh / 28:49 IRs 2.5/2.5/2.4

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:11 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
As I wrote before, the Robbe Power Peak II also permits changing the current any time during operation. Well, mine is an old one actually, maybe newer ones do not..

I guess changing the current without resetting would be a desirable option - I remember some time ago Junsi was asking about modifications that could be made on the operating software..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:29 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
I'll put my vote in for allowing current changes while charging. I can imagine some day I'll make the mistake of pulling a 3s2000 off, plug in a 3s900, and start the charge without adjusting current. Not that I've ever done that, lol, but if I did I would like to keep the capacity meter going like Bulent mentioned.

Bulent, AFAIK the only iCharger that actually stores logged data on-board is the 208b. So unfortunately if you wanted to measure capacity and change current during a charge with a 106 or 1010, you'll have to use logview (or good old reliable pencil and paper, hehe).

Cheers,
Kev
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:27 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I'd like to change current "on the fly" as well. I like and use that feature a lot on my chargers. Why wouldn't the capacity measurement still be accurate?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Another vote for changing charge current on the fly.

One other thing, which was mentioned previously; for Nixx modes, cycle until there's no further improvement, or it reaches a user defined cycle cut-off. I've not seen that on any hobby grade chargers. Granted, I don't know the specs of everything out there, either. The LaCrosse BC-900 AAA / AA charger has this mode, and it's quite handy.

Please, Junsi?
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:58 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Hi,

First time I really used the NiCd Forming-Charge programm. It is not working at all

Old battery in a glider, 1200mAh lo-current-cells, I had not used for years, was completly empty. Started forming charge. Put in only 400mAh!? Not enough. Started a discharge test: Battery was good, giving steady 2A without too much voltage drop. No weak cell. So I did a standard charge with 1A: it put in another 900mAh! Discharge test showed: I could pull 2A for 1100mAh down to 1,0V/cell.

So the forming-charge did not work at all, stopped much, much too early! Forming should overload a battery at low current. Why does it stop before the set capacity is reached?

Thanks,
- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:41 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty IV
Seems very strange to me you would use a super expensive iCharger for lead/acid batteries.

I have used for years a very nice car battery fast charger from WalMart that cost only $45 or so. Also have a 1 amp trickle charger for storage use in the winter. Paid about $15 or so.

From what I have read about reliability problems on the iCharger I try to keep the use to a minimum on mine.
Why would it seem strange to use an expensive charger to charge more then just one kind of battery... especially when said charger supports MANY battery chemistry's? Also...

It'd save me an extra 45$ and having to go to WalMart (long flight to America! hehe).

As for the reliability comment. I've not heard of any major problems. For a charger that is very expensive, this is one reason why i bought it. Surely it has to be better then an el-cheapo "sell everything shop" device?

And finally... trickle charge wouldn't do me much good an hour before i have to go to work and the car won't start.

So... does it seem strange now? Seems like a truck load of common sense to me.
HoffY is offline Find More Posts by HoffY
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
"Reliability" problems? Mine have been very reliable. Now, it seems that every now and then there is a QC issue, but that manifests very quickly or immediately. I now use my Icharger 208b "more than" my Hyperion Duo 2 as (1) it's easier to use and (2) parallel charging effects the same purpose with (3) more packs, though (4) I don't get (and never use) the same data.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
i love my 1010B+. i had a 610 thunder power witch was also a fantastic charger, but it had to have the balance board hooked to the battery to charge li** batteries. the 1010B+ on the other hand doesn't need it. i basically only use A123 witch don't need to be balanced after every cycle like lipo's, or lion's. i use my volt meter on each cell every so often. they never seem to be out of balance more than .02 or so. A123 is the future in rc. ya the new hyporons can charge at 4C+ in what 15 min, but they can still get over discharged, and blow up, catch fire, burn down your house, taco in a crash...... if you like them use em, but for me A123 is the ticket. final answer.

why not use your 1010B+/106B+ for lead acid? i wouldn't buy 1 just for pb, but hey ya got it. use it.

the 1010B+ is the best charger out there in my opinion. sold my 610 TP, and getting a second 1010B+.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Last edited by doomracing; Jun 12, 2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:37 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffY
Why would it seem strange to use an expensive charger to charge more then just one kind of battery... especially when said charger supports MANY battery chemistry's? Also...

It'd save me an extra 45$ and having to go to WalMart (long flight to America! hehe).

As for the reliability comment. I've not heard of any major problems. For a charger that is very expensive, this is one reason why i bought it. Surely it has to be better then an el-cheapo "sell everything shop" device?

And finally... trickle charge wouldn't do me much good an hour before i have to go to work and the car won't start.

So... does it seem strange now? Seems like a truck load of common sense to me.
Makes total sense to me. In fact I use my iChargers to charge gels all the time. My older Pb/NiXX chargers are in the garage sale box (including a duratrax intellipeak, and an astro 110); I just don't need them taking up space. The nicest part about charging gel's with an iCharger, is knowing my 1.5yo son's Power Wheels quad is getting peak performance.

I still use my "Walmart" Schumacher auto charger to keep me going to work when my cars are acting up. I'd use my iCharger if I had a bigger power supply though.

Cheers,
Kev