HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2009, 12:57 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Lower the pb voltage to 2.3V/cell in the setup.
Then charge with full steam.
That's all.
I've been charging my flooded Marine battery (115Ah) using the default of 2.4v per cell (14.4v) at 10A. Would this be damaging to the battery? Do I need to lower the voltage to 2.3v per cell?
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2009, 06:40 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
I've been charging my flooded Marine battery (115Ah) using the default of 2.4v per cell (14.4v) at 10A. Would this be damaging to the battery? Do I need to lower the voltage to 2.3v per cell?
For me, 2.4/cell (14.4) is perfect for most flooded LA batteries in vehicles. I've measured a few alternator regulators, and ~14.4 is typical. Many AC powered chargers designed solely for automotive/marine LA batteries will run the voltage even higher (>15 volts) during charging. However, if this were a constant float/trickle charge situation, 14.4 would be too high and result in excess gassing over time. (Temperature also plays a part, cold batteries require higher charging voltage and vice versa.)
Wyn is offline Find More Posts by Wyn
Old May 31, 2009, 11:13 PM
Joined May 2009
12 Posts
Julez or Junsi, I have a question. I bought a chargery 1010b. from reading this thread seems that both chargery & icharger might be different branding on the same or similar electronics.

I was wondering, can the chargery be upgraded the same way the icharger? with the same image as the icharger? I am experiencing a problem when discharging lipos... the amps start ramping up, and after around 30secs the charger beeps states the "system testing" and then shows the discharge screen while it freezes... it requires to unplug replug the charger to get it to work again.

Will a firmware upgrade fix de issue?

tks!
superfer93 is offline Find More Posts by superfer93
Old Jun 01, 2009, 12:34 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfer93
Julez or Junsi, I have a question. I bought a chargery 1010b. from reading this thread seems that both chargery & icharger might be different branding on the same or similar electronics.

I was wondering, can the chargery be upgraded the same way the icharger? with the same image as the icharger? I am experiencing a problem when discharging lipos... the amps start ramping up, and after around 30secs the charger beeps states the "system testing" and then shows the discharge screen while it freezes... it requires to unplug replug the charger to get it to work again.

Will a firmware upgrade fix de issue?

tks!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&#post10250376
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&#post11946394
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jun 01, 2009, 12:48 AM
Joined May 2009
12 Posts
Thanks! I will be performing the upgrade to firmware 3.09 with a usb to ttl, that should work fine, i guess. I also read that you had to remove c52 (bottom left)... is this necessary, or would firmware 3.09 solve my problem?
Old Jun 01, 2009, 01:06 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I will be performing the upgrade to firmware 3.09 with a usb to ttl, that should work fine, i guess. I also read that you had to remove c52 (bottom left)... is this necessary, or would firmware 3.09 solve my problem?
Hello Sir,

You can try to upgrade it to 3.09 version by yourself.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jun 01, 2009, 01:13 AM
Joined May 2009
12 Posts
thanks junsi, a couple of questions:
(a) With version 3.09 there will be no need to remove c52?
Old Jun 01, 2009, 02:43 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
thanks junsi, a couple of questions:
(a) With version 3.09 there will be no need to remove c52?
Hello Sir,

You can remove c52. If you have some further questions, you can send email to harrief111@hotmail.com.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jun 01, 2009, 03:10 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
I found out that I get the best performance when I did not go higher than 13.8V.
Before I had the iCharger, and when I still used PB batterys, I just connected them directly with my 13.8V power supply.

But do a check yourself:
Charge to 13.8V, and then raise the voltage to 14.4V.
How much additional capacity do you get in?
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jun 02, 2009, 12:27 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
I found out that I get the best performance when I did not go higher than 13.8V.
Before I had the iCharger, and when I still used PB batterys, I just connected them directly with my 13.8V power supply.

But do a check yourself:
Charge to 13.8V, and then raise the voltage to 14.4V.
How much additional capacity do you get in?
I'll test it out and report back. Thanks.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Jun 04, 2009, 05:33 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
Thanks for the Pb charging info guys. Really appreciate it. The more i can learn from experienced peoples about the unknown, the better! hehe
HoffY is offline Find More Posts by HoffY
Old Jun 04, 2009, 08:31 AM
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
Seems very strange to me you would use a super expensive iCharger for lead/acid batteries.

I have used for years a very nice car battery fast charger from WalMart that cost only $45 or so. Also have a 1 amp trickle charger for storage use in the winter. Paid about $15 or so.

From what I have read about reliability problems on the iCharger I try to keep the use to a minimum on mine.
dusty IV is offline Find More Posts by dusty IV
Old Jun 04, 2009, 08:48 AM
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty IV
Seems very strange to me you would use a super expensive iCharger for lead/acid batteries.

I have used for years a very nice car battery fast charger from WalMart that cost only $45 or so. Also have a 1 amp trickle charger for storage use in the winter. Paid about $15 or so.

From what I have read about reliability problems on the iCharger I try to keep the use to a minimum on mine.
I tend to agree, though I do like that the iCharger line has Pb charging mode included. It could be handy in a pinch.

For my Pb batteries, I use a Battery Tender, which requires almost zero monitoring. I've had it for years, probably 16 years at this point, and it's always performed as expected.

Quick tip for possibly reviving Pb batteries that have been in storage. I have a couple of starter boxes for nitro buggies and such. Well, not so diligent maintenance of the batteries resulted in a couple of dead 7.2Ah SLA batts. Both iCharger's (1010b+ and 208B), and the Battery Tender, rejected them. Just out of curiosity sake, I connected one to an Ace Hobby DDVC (constant current, up to 10 NiCd or NiMh) and let it go for a bit. To my surprise, the voltage rose above 12V, so I then took it off and connected to the Battery Tender. Having a multitude of different chargers sure comes in handy!
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
Old Jun 04, 2009, 09:10 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,178 Posts
I received the 106B+ and a few A123 cells; I will spend some interesting hours testing these.

The charger looks quite small for its capabilities. I hope it performs flawlessly.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Jun 04, 2009, 09:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
It is a very fine performer, and very, very versatile. Which A123 cells did you buy: 1100 or 2300 mah?

I've worked with both, now, and prefer the 2300's, though the 1100 mah cells certainly have a place in my flying, too.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo