HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:30 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
...and so the cat is out

Nice digging there Locitur, and one sweet little 350W machine!

- David
write2dgray is online now Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:45 PM
Occasional Flyer
Iowa
Joined May 2004
210 Posts
Wow that will be nice. Hopefully not as expensive as the Hyperion. Do these chargers really only allow you to charge a lipo at 1C and A123 at 4C (page 8)? I would rather not have to lie to the charger about my battery's capacity and lose one layer of safety.
Marv829 is offline Find More Posts by Marv829
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:02 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Nope, lying not required. Just set charge rate and go.

And if you are referring to the Hyperion 720i, I believe it is max. 7S (vs. 8S balancing on the new iCharger and up to 10S A123 without balancing), max. 18 NiXX (vs. 25 on iCharger), accepts input down to 11V (vs. down to 4.5V on the 208B), 250W max. (vs. 350W for iCharger = 40% more power!), lacks on board charge logging to memory, per cell IR readings, external discharge control to 600W, etc. + the iCharger comes in a nice little package that is less than half the size!

So, they are really in a slightly different class, but with that having been said, I believe you will find the price will compare favorably against the "competition" as has historically been the case with these powerful and compact chargers.

- David
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:16 PM
Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Can Julez or someone else confirm me(it should, but maybe I 'm missing something) that I can use multiple ICharger 1010B+ in series to charge a 30 cell (30S8P) A123 pack with 3 ICharger 1010B+, each ICharger will get is own Mean Well 300Watt 15 volt 20Amp power supply with no common ground between them (this is the most important thing)

Any reason for this not to work perfectly and act like 3 different 10S8P pack all attach to their own 1010B+?

I have bought the charger allready....I'm waiting for shipping now

I can separate the pack...but I need to know if this will work, because I will also use these 3 charger to charge my Ebike (24S4P Lipo for a total pack 88.8V and 20A/hrs) the lipo on the Ebike will be hard to break into 10S insulated from the other 10S and other 4S left while charging....

Please clear my mind...otherwise I will have nightmare until I get the charger and actually test it

Robin
Almasi is offline Find More Posts by Almasi
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:58 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts

I have no doubt that the 208B will define a new price/performance point in the market, like the 106B(+) and 1010B(+) before it. The specifications are *very* impressive IMO. It has all the goodies of its siblings and more. The on-board data logging is yet another step up in value where Junsi have listened closely to the users and responded positively. The wide input voltage range enhances the flexibility and enables the very high maximum power capability. All this in one of the most compact chargers on the market. Well done Junsi!
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:25 PM
Joined Apr 2007
45 Posts
Yes I will be getting one of those, between that charger and my current 1010b+ I i will be able to do some really seriouse charging of lipo and a123 packs. I cant wait for this to come out. Hopefully the price doesnt break it.

CJG
rotortuner is offline Find More Posts by rotortuner
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:50 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,843 Posts
Looks like the 208B just may be the new king-of-the-hill in high power value oriented chargers. If priced competitively, it may dethrone the Hyperion 0720i for power junkies.

Would be interested to know what input voltage is required to get max 350 watt output...
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:58 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almasi
Can Julez or someone else confirm me(it should, but maybe I 'm missing something) that I can use multiple ICharger 1010B+ in series to charge a 30 cell (30S8P) A123 pack with 3 ICharger 1010B+, each ICharger will get is own Mean Well 300Watt 15 volt 20Amp power supply with no common ground between them (this is the most important thing)

Any reason for this not to work perfectly and act like 3 different 10S8P pack all attach to their own 1010B+?

I have bought the charger allready....I'm waiting for shipping now

I can separate the pack...but I need to know if this will work, because I will also use these 3 charger to charge my Ebike (24S4P Lipo for a total pack 88.8V and 20A/hrs) the lipo on the Ebike will be hard to break into 10S insulated from the other 10S and other 4S left while charging....

Please clear my mind...otherwise I will have nightmare until I get the charger and actually test it

Robin
Be very careful with attempting this. Most well-designed power supplies tie the DC return to the ground on the AC input. As such, the DC returns will not be isolated and will short out your pack and wreak instant havoc.

You'll want to buzz it out and triple check before connecting to your packs. High voltage DC can be extremely hazardous.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:08 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
Would be interested to know what input voltage is required to get max 350 watt output...
Quote:
Input voltage range:
4.5 - 32.0VDC

Maximum charge power capacity:
350W @ input voltage > 18V
It was listed in the specifications above and on the web page that was linked to, 18V is the answer Junsi have always been very honest with their specifications, clearly stating any limitations right up front.

You can often estimate it for most high-power chargers since they all seem to be limited on the input side to 23-24A and by assuming around 80% efficiency.
Vin_for_max_output = Pmax / (0.8 x 24)
and the corollary to estimate max output power for a given input voltage:
Pmaxout = 0.8 x 24 x Vin
So I would estimate that the 208B can output about 230W from a 12V source
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Last edited by kgfly; Apr 07, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 11:12 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,843 Posts
Excellent. I missed that. And I'm usually very thorough in my research before posting.

Thanks for the clarification!

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:32 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Slight additional clarification: 25A is the max. input current given in the manual.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:33 AM
Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Be very careful with attempting this. Most well-designed power supplies tie the DC return to the ground on the AC input. As such, the DC returns will not be isolated and will short out your pack and wreak instant havoc.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

I will make sure that they don't have common ground (if they do what you said...I will find the junction and take care of it )

I will try to see if they share that GND before connecting it to ICharger

Robin
Almasi is offline Find More Posts by Almasi
Old Apr 08, 2009, 05:07 AM
Joined May 2008
158 Posts
Did you see the packs discussed in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029818 ?

They are from Hyperion and can be charged at 5C

Can the iCharger 1010B+ charge them at 5C?
What would be the largest (what S) that will be able to charge at 5C?
How much time will it take if need to do Balance charge? (since these are Lipos I assume Balance charge is needed)
ayash is offline Find More Posts by ayash
Last edited by ayash; Apr 08, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 08:24 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
So I didn't get an answer to my question about the data save so I tried it out myself. The charger does not tie setup numbers to the memory settings, only amp rating and cell number. I'll have to manually change those settings.

It would be extrememly useful to have settings such as max capacity and the safety timer be tied to memory locations since these numbers would or should change depending on what type/size of bettery you are charging.
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Old Apr 08, 2009, 08:28 AM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
Quote:
Be very careful with attempting this. Most well-designed power supplies tie the DC return to the ground on the AC input.

Mark
That would actually be one very poorly designed power supply and probably would not pass muster at the UL.
FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet