HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
5 Posts
sorry to bother you.

I have open a new thread. Don't know how to handle my issues with 106B+
Hello to all of you,

I received my 106B+ yesterday. Very well packed and with all accessories. Good job. BUT ...
Version is 3.08.
I have tried with several lipo 2S /3S from .5A to 2.2 A.
Every time I have set up the 106B+ according to the specs of the lipo. Means Current and #cells.
THen I push 3 seconds the Enter button. Every time I have got the message :"Battery check low voltage".
I have even tried with new Lipos and lipos that have been charged by a friend of mine. Always the same message.
If I select stop for 3 seconds to get the voltage of the cells, they are correct. Depending on the lipos form 3.8 Volts to 4.16 VOlts. So the measure is correct. But no way to charge!
I'm sure I do a mistake.
Can someone give me help.
Regards
bidouille is offline Find More Posts by bidouille
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:21 AM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
This charger charges via the main power lead, not the balance lead. Please ensure you properly connect the main power lead to the charger output leads and try again. If you want to balance charge you must also connect the balance lead, otherwise it is optional, but highly recommended for maximum safety.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
5 Posts
106b+

Ok but, what does it mean.
I use a LiPo battery.
Should I connect my Tdean connector from the lipo directly to the plug output with respect to + and -? If yes it means that my lipo is being connected to both :
T dean to main output
and balance charge plug to balance charge port?

It is really unusual.

I thought that the lipo is charged over the balance plug.

If I use it as described above it means that the balance port just check the voltage and the main output charge the all lipo. So how it is balanced ?
bidouille is offline Find More Posts by bidouille
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:45 PM
Registered User
doomracing's Avatar
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
yes to balance a lipo you use both plugs on the battery, and YES you should always balance a lipo. EVERY charge cycle.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:26 PM
Registered User
badger-b's Avatar
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidouille
Ok but, what does it mean.
I use a LiPo battery.
Should I connect my Tdean connector from the lipo directly to the plug output with respect to + and -? If yes it means that my lipo is being connected to both :
T dean to main output
and balance charge plug to balance charge port?

It is really unusual.

I thought that the lipo is charged over the balance plug.

If I use it as described above it means that the balance port just check the voltage and the main output charge the all lipo. So how it is balanced ?
The balancing is done via the balance plug by effectively "shunting out" any cell that is too high - the pack is indeed charged as whole, but the balance function will also monitor each cell and stop the process if it notes any cell getting too high ( above 4.2V in the case of LiPo )
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
5 Posts
Many thanks

Thanks a lot for all your explainations. I'm going to test it right now...
I have already tested few minutes ago. IT WORKS !
Great job guys.

Cheers from France.
bidouille is offline Find More Posts by bidouille
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:22 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Julez's Avatar
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Pas de probleme, mon ami.
Kgfly aide volontiers.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:47 PM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Mais oui!

The balance leads are very thin so cannot be used for charging above 4A (some would say 2A). That is why all high-power chargers, including the 106B+, must charge the battery via the main power lead.

The balancing current is at most 300mA (some other products go as high as 1A) which is no problem for the thin balance leads.

You don't really need to balance charge LiPo packs on every cycle but I would recommend always having the balance lead connected so that the charger can watch the voltage on every cell and stop the charge/discharge operation if any one cell goes out of the allowable range.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
1,582 Posts
I'm deciding between the iCharger1010B+ and the FMA's 10S. The price of both are similar with the FMA requiring me to buy and build some adpaters which is fine. They have a 15% off sale right now that will offset the extra cost right off. Anyone have any comparison or suggestion? Which adapter board does the iCharger HobbyCity is selling come with?

Also, does the iCharger have a long alarm when charging is done? Can it be adjusted? (volume lowered, or beeps shortened etc) My FMA's 4S charger is driving me nuts on the 15-second-ridiculously-long-and-ridiculously-loud alarm. Yes I heard you 15 beeps ago, stop beeping! (I have 4 of them)
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:37 AM
Registered User
thomanie's Avatar
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
I'm deciding between the iCharger1010B+ and the FMA's 10S. ....
Anyone have any comparison or suggestion?
You do realize you are asking the addicted? Of course you should go with the iCharger
If you go ask the same question in any FMA thread, they'll say the FMA. I guess we all like chocolate, but some prefer other brands than others. I own the older 1010B non-plus version, and have never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
Which adapter board does the iCharger HobbyCity is selling come with?
JST-XH, the plug found on your typical Chineese lipo such as Zippy, Rhinos, etc etc.
But there are aftermarket boards available for other plugs for very little money ~7 USD IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
Also, does the iCharger have a long alarm when charging is done? Can it be adjusted? (volume lowered, or beeps shortened etc)
As also noted in the manual posted on page #1, you can have it three ways:
- beep always
- beep 3 minutes
- beep 5 times

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:34 AM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Another nice feature is that the beeping will stop as soon as you press any button. I have made it a habit to press the Inc button to cancel the beeper. That means that I won't accidentally erase the end-of-charge data this is being displayed which does happen if you press the Stop button at that point. Since I charge either late at night at home or in the office, I placed a small paper dot sticker over the top of the beeper to make it especially quiet.

Choosing between the CP10S and the iC1010B+ will be influenced by your needs, desires and preferences. Here are some points to consider:

Choose the iC1010B+ if
  • Need multi-chemistry (since the CP10S is LiXx-only)
  • Need maximum power (CP10S is max 300W IN,typically only 200W out, 1010B+ is genuine 300W OUT)
  • Need/want some of the extra features (expanded discharge mode, wire cutter mode etc)
  • Prefer it to be as compact as possible

Choose the CP10S if
  • Want simplified and more "idiot proof" operation
  • Want maximum balance current capability (CP10S = 1A, 1010B+ = 300mA)
  • Want dedicated PC software (iCharger logging uses the OpenSource Logview program)
  • Want to control the charger from a PC
  • Want a US company (but iChargers have several US distributors, eg www.progressiverc.com)

Personally I think the 1010B+ is certainly better value on paper and it is my favourite charger so far. I have not used a CP10S myself so I cannot compare them from hands-on point of view.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanie
You do realize you are asking the addicted? Of course you should go with the iCharger
Yes I do realize this fact.

Quote:
JST-XH, the plug found on your typical Chineese lipo such as Zippy, Rhinos, etc etc.
But there are aftermarket boards available for other plugs for very little money ~7 USD IIRC.
do you have a link? I can use this on other chargers too.

Quote:
[As also noted in the manual posted on page #1, you can have it three ways:
- beep always
- beep 3 minutes
- beep 5 times
Thomas
5 times... what kind of beep? How long is each beep?
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Another nice feature is that the beeping will stop as soon as you press any button. I have made it a habit to press the Inc button to cancel the beeper. That means that I won't accidentally erase the end-of-charge data this is being displayed which does happen if you press the Stop button at that point. Since I charge either late at night at home or in the office, I placed a small paper dot sticker over the top of the beeper to make it especially quiet.

Choosing between the CP10S and the iC1010B+ will be influenced by your needs, desires and preferences. Here are some points to consider:

Choose the iC1010B+ if
  • Need multi-chemistry (since the CP10S is LiXx-only)
  • Need maximum power (CP10S is max 300W IN,typically only 200W out, 1010B+ is genuine 300W OUT)
  • Need/want some of the extra features (expanded discharge mode, wire cutter mode etc)
  • Prefer it to be as compact as possible

Choose the CP10S if
  • Want simplified and more "idiot proof" operation
  • Want maximum balance current capability (CP10S = 1A, 1010B+ = 300mA)
  • Want dedicated PC software (iCharger logging uses the OpenSource Logview program)
  • Want to control the charger from a PC
  • Want a US company (but iChargers have several US distributors, eg www.progressiverc.com)

Personally I think the 1010B+ is certainly better value on paper and it is my favourite charger so far. I have not used a CP10S myself so I cannot compare them from hands-on point of view.

Perfect! Now it's a dicision to go with a Chinese company, who have been very unusually responsive, but I do not know how long it will last. Versus FMA which I have came to trust but do not like a certain aspects of the chargers. (too simple etc).
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
Registered User
thomanie's Avatar
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
do you have a link? I can use this on other chargers too.
Aftermarket charger expansion boards are available from Progressiverc for $9.99 a pop - for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
5 times... what kind of beep? How long is each beep?
About as long as it takes to say "BEEP" (1 sec?)

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:43 PM
Asks too many questions
natterjak's Avatar
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
Is it possible to charge 12S A123 cells with the 1010B+ charger? The maximum voltage will be similar to the max voltage of 10S lipos but the menu only offers me 10S A123s.
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best charger/discharger $ can buy namancio Batteries and Chargers 30 Jan 31, 2010 03:52 PM
Power Pacer Battery charger/discharger ACE_McCOOL Batteries and Chargers 4 Oct 22, 2002 01:39 PM
NIB Hitec CG-325 Charger/Discharger/Cycler for 4-9 cells - $39! Jason M Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 03, 2002 04:29 AM
WTB Good charger/discharger 10 + cells WickedFunRC Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 05, 2002 09:55 PM