HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:39 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
I read that you had trouble witht he heat, or did I misread that?

Also, Say I get the 30amp 12 volt mode, I like it cause it is slightly smaller and from a member, I have only been able to read that it goes to 12 volts. Will I get max power from the charger using this PS? My rough estimates is that this would but out between 288 and 366 watts depending on efficiency. The iCharger lists 250 watts max. Would I get full power?
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din
Last edited by Mera'din; Mar 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:54 AM
Vintage Flyer
Treasure Island, FL
Joined Jan 2002
553 Posts
The 510 watt supply from CommonSense RC adjusts to 15v and has an IEC computer type power cord... works REEEEALY well...

FenceMagnet is offline Find More Posts by FenceMagnet
Old Mar 24, 2009, 01:01 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,214 Posts
Huh?

The Meanwell PS gets hot under full load, but not critically hot. It has a regulated fan and an over-temperature protection.

The iChargers only deliver full power, when the supply voltage is at least 13.5V.

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Sorry to add to this, but I just got am email from a friend who has one of these, would this give me full power?

http://www.bestrc.com/teamcheckpoint...ers/index.html
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
You seem to be struggling to understand that you cannot get the full rated output from an iCharger unless the input voltage is at least 13.5V and this is independent of the maximum current that the power supply can deliver, although that is another important parameter.

You can choose any power supply you like. If you choose a 12V/200A supply you still will not get 250W out of the 106B+ since it is current limited to 25A on the input.

If you want to get 250W out of a 106B+ the power supply MUST be at least 13.5V/25A.

The Checkpoint power supply looks like a very good choice because it is adjustable up to 15V, rated for 300W output, has dual outputs (very convenient) and even comes with a cool clamp block. At the right price it would be an ideal solution.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:35 PM
I think I like vanilla...
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2007
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
Sorry to add to this, but I just got am email from a friend who has one of these, would this give me full power?

http://www.bestrc.com/teamcheckpoint...ers/index.html
Mera'din -
Check out this one for sale by feathermerchant here on RCGroups:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004145
I have the 46A version, and run 2 iCharger 106Bs at the same time charging 6S 5000 packs at 2C (25V * 10A * 2 = 500 Watts).

Highly recommended, especially for the price.
grimgrinnin is offline Find More Posts by grimgrinnin
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:15 PM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Oct 2008
127 Posts
Hi, what is the latest software for the 106+?

Regards,
Gustavo
haggy38 is offline Find More Posts by haggy38
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:25 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
See the first post for updates, manual, and rev. history:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839657

The latest software version is v3.09 issued March 4, 2009.

Revision History

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:16 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
Sorry if this thread has become lately more about power supplies than the 106, my hope is that anyone reading this thread will get some valuable info on how to power these great chargers. That being said...

...I notice that several of the power supplies I have been directed to look at have multiple outputs, 12v, 5v, 3v, etc... In a battery you can run packs in a series to increase voltage, can you do this with a power supply?

Say I get a 12 volt PS that puts out 12v on one plug and 3v on another. Could I plug both into my charger and get 15volts...safely? What would like require, a series connection, parallel?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:24 AM
Silicon/poker/chocolate chips
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2008
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din
Say I get a 12 volt PS that puts out 12v on one plug and 3v on another. Could I plug both into my charger and get 15volts...safely? What would like require, a series connection, parallel?
NO!!! In a power supply, there is only 1 ground (even though there are multiple ground wires, they are all tied together inside). Connecting outputs together like you suggest will only SHORT out the output. NOT GOOD!!! (Might be POOF for the magic smoke!)
Chip Geek is offline Find More Posts by Chip Geek
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:18 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,168 Posts
Sorry, but I can not see why the batteries need to be charged at high current when at home - to save time? At the field I would understand fast charging, and that is why I will buy this charger, but I beleive it should be better to charge the batteries at lower currents when at home. That means supplies with lower current than the limit of the charger should be acceptable.

Am I missing something?

Please do not try to get higher voltages by connecting outputs in series. That will be disastrous for most of the multiple output supplies. If the outputs are floating type (with no interconnection between outputs, so they are completely isolated) that could be possible, but the connection would have the current rating of the output with the lowest current rating - the weakest link problem.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:39 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,987 Posts
Let's say you have 10 packs to recharge (I have more than that). At 1 hr/pack, that would take 10 hrs individually. If you charge 3 or 4 packs together each time, it would only take 3 hrs! I would rather spend the extra 7 hrs sleeping rather than keeping awake to watch the batteries charge. Wouldn't you?

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:18 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,214 Posts
I am not a great fan of charging with high currents at home, either.
I charge at rather low currents, and if the pack needs 10h, so what? I'm in no hurry.
If I have multiple packs to charge, I parallel them.
If there are multiple packs with different cell counts to charge, then charging them individually makes sense.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,987 Posts
Of, course charging diff cell counts separately not only makes sense, but is a must. But if you have 10 packs at 10hr each, you would need a hundred hrs. Don't be silly! We are talking normal charging at 1C and making 3 charges instead of 10, so don't make a case out of charging slow just because....

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Last edited by chewytm; Mar 25, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:40 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,168 Posts
Well,

I have only a few packs and they are all 1C charging types, so maybe I am looking from my side With A123 batteries to come, charging currents higher than 1C will be possible; but as much as I know these batteries do not require supervision during charging, so one can do other work while these charge up.

If the supply is to be used for more than one charger or battery at the same time, of course higher current is necessary.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Last edited by bmutlugil; Mar 25, 2009 at 12:46 PM.