HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2009, 03:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn
Gonzalix, is there any possibility that the main charge leads (from the banana jacks at the charger) have an intermittent/poor connection somewhere? Perhaps this charger is more sensitive to alarm for this then other chargers.
Well, yes, that would probably be another thing to check, but they are coming from factory, not easy to check and I'm a bit afraid of having to cut and resolder the leads or having to open the unit and replace the leads from the main board if finally this unit should be returned for warranty.

This charger worked perfectly for several months. It seems that winter didn't like or something like that :-) Looks like there is something damaged or may be this charger is sooooo "sensible" for power input or something else. Hardware or software, I don't know.

Thanks for your point, has a lot of value. I do however think that the way Junsi is suporting this product and taking into consideration customers suggestions deserves some feedback from us before simply return the unit for warranty replacement.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot on this thread. Thanks!

Regards
gonzalix is offline Find More Posts by gonzalix
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2009, 05:27 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
I was leaning more towards the leads/connectors from the charger to the batteries.

The thought was that this charger may alarm more readily then your other chargers if there is a poor connection that changes resistance (or momentarily opens). One brand charger I tried would not complain even if the battery was quickly disconnected and re-connected. So if the test leads are a common factor, it might be them, rather then the charger. You have already substituted batteries and power supplies, plus tried different charge modes, so the charger or the leads is about all that's left.
Wyn is offline Find More Posts by Wyn
Last edited by Wyn; Mar 07, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 04:19 AM
Slovenia
Joined Jan 2005
27 Posts
Hello Junsi and IC users,
does anybody noticed back-light flickering if set lover than 100%,and cooling fan - AUTO when discharging ?
noticed only when using 'switching' power supplay, when using Pb it's OK. seem that 250mA (power consumption from PS when disharging) is not ''enought'' for stady voltage for power switching supplay > 400W, can be PWM frequency (seems that is used for control back light, and also for drive cooling fan) higher, so there wil not be interference.
used power supplay use in testing:
1...14,7V 30A switching PS
2...LAB PS (variable V and A-cut) set to 15V and 10A cut
3...15V 3A switching PS
4...Pb 7Ah - only with this it was ok.
*every leads are silicon cable 2.5mm2, 30cm long
*FW ver. 3.09

regards, Simon
cheech2 is offline Find More Posts by cheech2
Old Mar 08, 2009, 08:44 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalix
Just tried with a lead-acid accumulator and the problem persists.

Regards
Hello gonzalix,

Later, I will send you a PM, pls check it.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Mar 09, 2009, 12:44 AM
Joined Jun 2005
112 Posts
A really cool feature I would love to see in the future is an adjustable power supply added to this charger. It would sort of be like your foam driver and motor driver but would provide the requested voltage with no load. You should be able set voltage and current. It would basically try and hold the voltage as long as it doesn't pass your current limit. If the voltage tries to rise it lowers the current to hold the voltage.

I know a hobbyist like my self could use this all the time.
magudaman is offline Find More Posts by magudaman
Old Mar 09, 2009, 06:19 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magudaman
A really cool feature I would love to see in the future is an adjustable power supply added to this charger. It would sort of be like your foam driver and motor driver but would provide the requested voltage with no load. You should be able set voltage and current. It would basically try and hold the voltage as long as it doesn't pass your current limit. If the voltage tries to rise it lowers the current to hold the voltage.
This has been discussed in great detail. Please look a few pages back... Summary: The charger is too slow to react to current changes with "dynamic loads". Charging results in slow/steady changes of current over time.

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:56 AM
Joined Jun 2005
112 Posts
Okay I see thanks for letting me know. I read through around 80 pages of these 200 and hadn't seen anything so thought I should ask. I think I am still going to go ahead and pick one up.
magudaman is offline Find More Posts by magudaman
Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:27 PM
Brasil, São Paulo, São Carlos
Joined Sep 2004
46 Posts
Junsi, I'm using the charger 106B+ v3.09 (03/08/2009) but sometimes when I try to charge the 6s A123 pack, the charger show the message "Low battery voltage". But the batery voltage is ok (~20.0V -> 3,3V/cell)! And, when I try to discharge the A123 6s pack, the charger show a message that the pack have 8 cell!!!... I supose that the charger is not recognize the 6s pack, but recognize the 8s pack... Is possible to fix this?

Thank you,

Caio
caioect is offline Find More Posts by caioect
Last edited by caioect; Mar 10, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:34 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech2
Hello Junsi and IC users,
does anybody noticed back-light flickering if set lover than 100%,and cooling fan - AUTO when discharging ?
noticed only when using 'switching' power supplay, when using Pb it's OK. seem that 250mA (power consumption from PS when disharging) is not ''enought'' for stady voltage for power switching supplay > 400W, can be PWM frequency (seems that is used for control back light, and also for drive cooling fan) higher, so there wil not be interference.
used power supplay use in testing:
1...14,7V 30A switching PS
2...LAB PS (variable V and A-cut) set to 15V and 10A cut
3...15V 3A switching PS
4...Pb 7Ah - only with this it was ok.
*every leads are silicon cable 2.5mm2, 30cm long
*FW ver. 3.09

regards, Simon
Hello Simon,

Sorry to say that after our engineer's testing, we find this issue. As we use PWM frequency to control the fan, the consume current instantly is more than before.

If you still want to improve it, you can modify it by yourself. Near the U8 IC, there is a C9, you can decrease C9 to 68p, or get rid of it.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:57 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caioect
Junsi, I'm using the charger 106B+ v3.09 (03/08/2009) but sometimes when I try to charge the 6s A123 pack, the charger show the message "Low battery voltage". But the batery voltage is ok (~20.0V -> 3,3V/cell)! And, when I try to discharge the A123 6s pack, the charger show a message that the pack have 8 cell!!!... I supose that the charger is not recognize the 6s pack, but recognize the 8s pack... Is possible to fix this?
Hello Caio,

Our engineer have tested it just now, when you discharge the A123 6s pack, the charger show a message that the pack have 8 cell, which is normal. When charging LiFe battery, the non-balance cell and the discharging cell are kept separately.

You can go to the monitor mode to see if the output voltage is normal, and is there a large difference between the measured and the display total voltage & the individual cell voltage.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:40 PM
Brasil, São Paulo, São Carlos
Joined Sep 2004
46 Posts
Ok! I will verify!

Thank you,

Caio
caioect is offline Find More Posts by caioect
Old Mar 11, 2009, 04:05 PM
Belgium
Joined Nov 2002
10 Posts
temp sensor calibration

Hi,

I have been reading through this thread, and decided to buy one of these great chargers.

Today received my charger from Hobbycity. Looks great, seems to work fine. Just wondering if you need to calibrate the external temp sensor ?

If I plug it in, and try to charge, it stops straight away because of temperature. It's measuring between 60 and 70 ° C (ambient is only 15 - 20°C)

Thanks,
Chris
chris verheyden is offline Find More Posts by chris verheyden
Old Mar 12, 2009, 09:57 PM
Joined Feb 2009
6 Posts
anyone could help me here, i was using logview v2.3, it stop recording and start recording every after approx. 23mins, all of the data on the table that was previuosly recorded was gone and it starts with a new one. i'm using 106b+ v3.09.
jiada is offline Find More Posts by jiada
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:39 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiada
anyone could help me here, i was using logview v2.3, it stop recording and start recording every after approx. 23mins, all of the data on the table that was previuosly recorded was gone and it starts with a new one. i'm using 106b+ v3.09.
Hello jiada,

You know, data is recorded in different phases. You can check the logview to see the recording data as the picture shows.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:05 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
That is the worst natural and "feature" of Logview that can not be switched off..
(yes it is clearly an annoying bug!)
After any kind of data transfer error, the file is broken by software into separate parts.
Yes Junsi is right that You can list those fragments and open each of them one by one.

The reason why the transfer is damaged, should be identified.. It is mostly the result of EMI generated by power supply. Not to forget that PC and switching power supplies are common ground (if not, then there is at least a capacitor that transfers high frequency).
A ferite rings on mains to ps lead, on ps to charger wires, and also on charger to PC data cable, may help.
Optical separation between charger and data cable, helps mostly as the best.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro