HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler P
Yes, you can do an unbalanced charge. You could choose to stop it and then switch over to a balanced charge near the end. Definitely possible.

I'm actually thinking that might help solve my immediate problem on my balance board too. I could just do a regular 10s charge and then balance the two packs independently once they hit a certain level.

Or I can pick up a second Astro blinky balancer and just balance charge them that way, although I prefer the charger way so that I can see where the cells are at.

My post was in response to post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2837

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:58 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Thnks but my original post was in reference to post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2837

I was merely suggesing in a round about way that this charger as well as the hyp. mentioned in post 2837 could deal with the not balanciny every charge issue with a little intervention by the user.

I have always agreed that packs do not need balancing every charge unless they really should be pulled from service and trashed. I have also always agreed that balancing discharged cells often does more harm than good.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:59 PM
Joined Nov 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Tyler, are you sure that the balance plugs of the packs are in the correct position?
It matters which pack's plug is connected to D1 and D2.
Which board are you using:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2141190

The negative main lead of the pack whose balancing plug is connected to one of the balance jacks at the right side of the boards, must be connected to the negative main socket of the charger.
The one I have has a single 6s, 2x5s, 2x4s, 3x3s, 3x2s.

You know what, I think you may have found the problem! I'm not actually positive I got that connection right! That's probably what happened! Awe, crap!

Can you draw me a picture of how that should look with a series connector. I'm a visual person and I'm not sure I'm picturing what you're saying correctly.
Tyler P is offline Find More Posts by Tyler P
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:15 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Hi!
It's quite simple: The pack with the negative main lead connected to the charger, must always have the most negative balance contact connected to the most negative contact on the balancing board.

From this, you work your way contact by contact to the most positive contact on the balancing plugs.

The most positive contact of your balancing plugs must not be connected to the most positive contact of the balancing board, unless you have a 10s pack in total.

If you have a 9s pack in total, the most positive contact of your balancing plugs must be connected to the second most positive contact of the balancing board.

If you have an 8s pack in total, the most positive contact of your balancing plugs must be connected to the third most positive contact of the balancing board.

And so on.

These are the contacts at the balancing board:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2141190

2*5s

[+11 10 9 8 7 6] [6 5 4 3 2 1-]

Right is the negative side, left the positive side.
Contact 1 is the most negative contact, contact 11 the most positive contact.

Thus, the pack with the negative main lead connected to the negative main socket of the charger, must be connected with its balancing plug to contacts 6-1.

The pack with the positive main lead connected to the positive main socket of the charger, must be connected with its balancing plug to contacts 11-6.

These are the contacts at the balancing board:

3*3s

[+10 9 8 7] [7 6 5 4] [4 3 2 1-]

The pack with the negative main lead connected to the negative main socket of the charger, must be connected with its balancing plug to contacts 4-1.

The pack with the positive main lead connected to the positive main socket of the charger, must be connected with its balancing plug to contacts 10-7.

The pack with the main leads connected to the main leads of the other packs, must be connected with its balancing plug to contacts 7-4.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Feb 22, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:27 PM
Joined Nov 2008
131 Posts
It should be quite simple. I think I understand what you're saying. Here's a very simple diagram of how it should work on my 2 5s slots to balance charge a 10s pack made of two 5s in series.

Quote:
Hi!
It's quite simple: The pack with the negative main lead connected to the charger, must always have the most negative balance contact connected to the most negative contact on the balancing board.

From this, you work your way contact by contact to the most positive contact on the balancing plugs.

The most positive contact of your balancing plugs must not be connected to the most positive contact of the balancing board, unless you have a 10s pack in total.

If you have a 9s pack in total, the most positive contact of your balancing plugs must be connected to the second most positive contact of the balancing board.

If you have an 8s pack in total, the most positive contact of your balancing plugs must be connected to the third most positive contact of the balancing board.

And so on.
Last edited by Tyler P; Feb 22, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:28 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Tyler,

See here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1289
and here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1869453

Order replacement balance adapter boards from www.progressiverc.com
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2008
131 Posts
Take a look at the photo in my edited post above. Does that look right? I didn't plug in the positive side one because I'm a little jumpy now, but that's where I would plug the one that isn't plugged in yet.

Edit: I was also being confused because the balance board I have is opposite to what you're saying as far as left and right are concerned. Left side is negative and right side is positive on my board. It's the Kokam connector board.
Last edited by Tyler P; Feb 22, 2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:51 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Yes, looks about right.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:54 PM
Joined Nov 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Yes, looks about right.
Good. It makes sense to me now. I'm not used to series charging, as I was only running 3s planes before. Now, with a big plane, things got a little more complicated.

Thanks for all your help, guys! I ordered two more boards, just in case I screw it up, but I'm pretty sure I've got a good handle on it now!

Tyler
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:44 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
Glad you have it figured out. You might be able to salvage the board, if the pins haven't burned off, by soldering wires in place of the burned circuit traces. Not really a permanent fix, just something to get by until the new boards arrive.
Wyn is offline Find More Posts by Wyn
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:50 PM
Joined Nov 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn
Glad you have it figured out. You might be able to salvage the board, if the pins haven't burned off, by soldering wires in place of the burned circuit traces. Not really a permanent fix, just something to get by until the new boards arrive.
The one pin that got fried isn't quite down to the bottom of the connector, but pretty close. I'm not too worried about it, as my negative side connector is fine, and I'm not flying the big 10s plane right now.

All my other connectors are fine, so I can still go out and fly my smaller planes, which is all I ever fly in the winter anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:46 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Guys....I have a quick question for you. I have the icharger1010B. I have really enjoyed it and have only use it for 3 to 4 cell packs.

I have jumped up to a 6S2P pack. Now I need a battery balancing plug with wires, to fit the balance board that comes with the icharger1010B.

Is there a link that I can just go to to order the plug needed? The plug names are confusing and dont want the wrong one.

Thanks guys!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:58 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
progressiverc is where I bought mine.

edit: Link is for the balance boards, missed that you wanted just the connectors. Are you wiring your own pack with a balance connector to match an existing balance board? What type balance board (see the four types in the link above). rcaccessory has some connectors that might be what you are looking for.
Last edited by Wyn; Feb 22, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:13 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Wyn
Yes, I have the original balance board that came with the 1010B. I have made my own pack and I need a balance plug for the battery.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:16 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
Check on the balance board for some writing to see what battery brand it was for. I think there are four possible boards that you could have.