SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Pavel the external resistor is in series with the charger so the same current flows through the external resistor and the internal discharge circuit. This is why the discharge current remains limited to 7A with or without the external resistor.

It is correct that with the right value for the external resistor almost no power will be dissipated inside the charger and hence it will not get hot and should not need to run the fan.

The internal balancer on the 1010B+ is limited to 10 cells so balance charging a 12S LiXx will never be possible. That being the case I think it would be unwise to allow charging of 12S LiPo. The charger already supports charging (but not balancing) of 11S or 12S LiFe packs.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:41 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Hello Pavel,

Thank you for yor great support and your appreciation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pash_
As I understand, disharge with external resistor work with only Li chemistry. May be add to all chemistry accu?
Yes, discharge with external resistor work with only Li chemistry. But sorry to say that, it's a little difficult to add to all chemistry accu currently, as if so, we need to add two down-leads to monitor the voltage of the two end of the cell, which is not permitted by the present internal structure. Now it is monitored by the balance port if work only with Li chemistry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pash_
When used external resistor, internal not used, that is? May be made as is in Schulze? external added to internal. For example: set disharge rate at 10A external can dissipate 8A, internal added 2A. External 7A- internal add a 3A.
In fact, when discharging, the charger is controlled by both external resistor and the internal resistor.

Thanks for your suggestions again.
Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:03 AM
Saratov, RUSSIA
Joined Sep 2007
11 Posts
Hello!
Thank you KGfly, Junsi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
down-leads to monitor the voltage of the two end of the cell, which is not permitted by the present internal structure. Now it is monitored by the balance port if work only with Li chemistry.
I can make two wire between two ends of the any chemistry cell and JST tap for balance port, and voila!
I think, that almost all users of your charger make a own charge lead, and no problem to make another one.
pash_ is offline Find More Posts by pash_
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:37 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
For Junsi

Junsi......Here are the pictures of what we we discussed on PM. As can be seen, the USB porthole is indeed vacant
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:02 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Timbo,

Where did you purchase your charger? What version software does the charger show when it starts up?

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:19 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b
Junsi......Here are the pictures of what we we discussed on PM. As can be seen, the USB porthole is indeed vacant
The obviously sent you the incorrect charger sand it back ASAP.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 20, 2008, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Balance adapters - it is a bugger but you have to trade off various aspects to choose.

a) I believe by default the charger ships with JST-XH adapter board. There is no dedicated "7S" position on the board so you would order the pack with two 4S taps, the lower voltage one fully populated and the higher one populated as 3S and then use the two 4S positions on the adapter board. This is what I am doing with the 7S A123 packs I am building at the moment. You have to take great care when you plug them in to ensure the lower-voltage, fully-populated 4S connector goes in the RH socket and the higher-voltage 3s-populated 4S connector goes in the LH socket otherwise you will short out half the pack and bad things will happen.

b) The TP/FP adapter has an explicit 7S position so this is perhaps simpler to understand and more fool proof as you cannot plug it in backwards. I think if I was having the packs made by a 3rd party this is the route I would choose as there is only one way to wire it up and only one way to plug it in.
Back to this again.

If I want to build the A123 myself, Where can I find to buy connectors for both JST and TP balance adapters?

BTW - can't I bypass the board altogether and connect the pack directly to the connector that goes into the adapter boards of the iCharger boards?
ayash is offline Find More Posts by ayash
Last edited by ayash; Dec 20, 2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
Joined Nov 2004
177 Posts
connctors and balance boards

I bought my boards and connectors from BP hobbies. http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...9&pid=C2096935
I also bought a bunch of the board to charger balance port connectors for my large packs. I plan to cut them in half and switch the positive around on one of the plugs. I'll solder extensions to extend the leads and end up with two balancing connectors. I'll then connect my A123's packs (7s to 10S) direct to the 1010B balance port.

Daryl
cgblues is offline Find More Posts by cgblues
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:04 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b
Hello Tim,

I have send you a PM, pls check it!

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:32 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Tim,

I have send you a PM, pls check it!

Regards,
Junsi
I have, and replied too !
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:36 AM
Toulouse, France
Joined Jul 2007
404 Posts
Hi guys

When I connect my 10S 4900mA lipo to the 1010b charger sometimes I have a big spark and sometimes not at all.
I cannot figure out why it does or why it doesnot happen.

Someone knows ?

regards

Marcel
mguw is offline Find More Posts by mguw
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
This is quite normal with high voltage packs. There is a capacitor at the output of the charger, and it is charged in a split second while plugging in the pack. The result is a little spark.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:37 AM
Toulouse, France
Joined Jul 2007
404 Posts
Thanks Julez.
I understand the spark (it is just like whenyou connect the lipo to the ESC), what I don't understand is why sometimes (often) there is no spark at all. Is the charger precharging the capacitors to the selected battery voltage? If yes, why isn't it doing it all the times ?

regards

Marcel
mguw is offline Find More Posts by mguw
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:13 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
How would one rate this charger vs the cellpro 10s?
I bought the cellpro 10s from them around nov 20 and the package was lost via UPS. According to the tracking the package was supposed to be delivered dec 1. FMA put in a lost package notification and said I had to wait for the determination by dec 22. UPS driver came by with a card for me to sign I check marked other and put not received. UPS closed the case. I called up after finding out and they said they are reopening the case but it will take another 8 to 10 days.

I called FMA and they will not be able to do anything about this until UPS gives them a determination.
I'm a bit fed up. I have had lost packages before and the vendor usually takes care of it right away. I ordered this for my b-day on the 6th and here it is 3 days before x-mas. I have no doubt that if I wait I will not be receiving this until the first week of the new year.

This problem and having to cancel my credit cards because of their breach is ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant but after all the praises about this company and the experience I have had I'm ready to reverse the charges and order a better charger for less.

I can get the iCharger 1010B+ for $170 from hobbycity or the Mega Power Infinity-960SR w/ Balancer 12S for $169. Any recommendations?
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
Caps are probably holding a charge from the last battery for some amount of time. If you get a spark, disconnect and try again -- it won't spark because it's already charged up. Wait an hour or two, and it probably will.
Wyn is offline Find More Posts by Wyn