HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2008, 10:42 AM
USA, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
You can stop the beeping at the end of a cycle by pressing *any* key. Get in the habit of pressing any key other than Stop and you will preserve the data from the process that just completed. Once you press Stop the data will be cleared.

No because you cannot change the values from this view. It is an information view not a settings view. Perhaps a semantic issue but the naming is chosen to try to reduce confusion about implied behaviour.
Yes thank you for your reply, I was very confused about the general status until I reread page 25 and with the help of you guys.

One thing I would like to clarify, when I use "Data save Program" it only saves the settings for this particular pack, it does not save the capacity put in during charge and end voltage etc.... Correct?

Again thank you for all your replies.

And Thank You Junsi for the quick Vista repair.
lost is offline Find More Posts by lost
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2008, 11:31 AM
Wyn
VoltMagic
Joined Apr 2007
101 Posts
With "Completion Ring" set to "Beep Always", if the mode is LiPo I can stop the beeps with any button. However, if the mode is NiMh, Format (and probably Nicd), only the Stop button silences the beeping.

So here's a roundup of my suggestions for consideration in future firmware. Nothing major here, but I think these would add value.

1) For the "general status" accessed with the dec button during charging, add the ability to change (as well as view) the capacity cut-off and the safety timer. This could be a >3 second start press, a short press going back to the charging screen. This would avoid having to go back through the "Settings" menu for these frequently changed parameters before charging. It seems intuitive as well; you are viewing these parameters just like in "Settings", why not be able to change them.

2) Display the previous charge or discharge data from the "present test info" screen, after the cell voltages, by pressing inc. This would be consistent with page 25 of the manual where you can get this info (cycle information) while charging/discharging. If it displayed the last two mAH readings for either charging or discharging I think most users would find that useful. This is also intuitive since it follows the exact same pattern as the "cycle information" is displayed. It also might be better to label the "present test info" screen either "test" or "test info" in the manual.

3) Use any button to silence the completion beeping, regardless of whether in LiXX or NiXX programs.

4) Just found out that from the "present test Info" screen that a start press >3 sec also initiates the IR test. A start press >3 sec seems more intuitive then pressing dec, not sure why dec was added. From "test info", Dec could actually go to the "general status info" just like while charging/discharging instead. In this case, there would be greater consistency with pressing dec while charging (the only difference being the "test info" screen is the center, or home screen, instead of the screen displayed while charging or discharging).

Cheers,
Wyn
Wyn is offline Find More Posts by Wyn
Last edited by Wyn; Dec 05, 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 12:31 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b
I reckon ( depending on the accuracy and ability of the balancer unit AND the quality /age of the battery ) that anything up to around 20mv difference in an "empty" pack is OK - but others may disagree !
Voltage difference in an empty pack is not very interesting and says little about the state of balance (if one chooses to define that as voltage difference when the pack is fully charged). Even a pack where all cells are 4.200V at the end of the charge, will show some differences when empty because of small variations in capacity among cells. The precision of the balancer is very important since it might make things worse. If the cell with the lowest capacity also happens to get the lowest voltage, the difference in discharged state will be large. And because of the difference in steepness of the discharge curve at full/empty, even 10mV in a full pack will cause significant differences if the pack is discharged to 3.0V/cell in average (which is not a good idea, but might happen accidentally).

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Dec 05, 2008, 12:39 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen
Voltage difference in an empty pack is not very interesting and says little about the state of balance (if one chooses to define that as voltage difference when the pack is fully charged). Even a pack where all cells are 4.200V at the end of the charge, will show some differences when empty because of small variations in capacity among cells. The precision of the balancer is very important since it might make things worse. If the cell with the lowest capacity also happens to get the lowest voltage, the difference in discharged state will be large. And because of the difference in steepness of the discharge curve at full/empty, even 10mV in a full pack will cause significant differences if the pack is discharged to 3.0V/cell in average (which is not a good idea, but might happen accidentally).

Fred
Good point Fred - my bad there mate, I should have said when the pack is full -not empty. I here what you say about the pack balance changing a fair bit during and at dischrge levels - and TBH mine regularly go down to around 2.85 per cell or so under load. However, unless anyone has any other major comments , I still reckon that around 20mv or so difference aint much to worry about ?
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Dec 05, 2008, 04:35 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Another way to look at it is to consider how deeply you discharge your packs. If you are conservative then you can tolerate more imbalance at the start then if you are aggressive.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 05, 2008, 04:41 PM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
Could someone please tell me where the upgrader for v3.08 is located? I've read the last 10 pages of this thread about 6 times now and I can only see the link to the release notes, not the upgrader itself. I've also looked at jun-si.com.
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak
Old Dec 05, 2008, 04:44 PM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
Ok, I've found it. It's located in the first post of this thread in case anyone else is searching for it.
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak
Old Dec 06, 2008, 03:32 PM
United States, PA, Plymouth Meeting
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts
Hi,
Is there a way to set when the charger begins the taper off part of the charge? In other words, can tell the charger I want it to start the taper after it has reached, say, 99% of the target voltage?
Thanks,
-Anthony
akshaw is offline Find More Posts by akshaw
Last edited by akshaw; Dec 06, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
You can set the termination voltage for each of the LiXx types separately. If you prefer to charge your LiPo to say 4.18V/cell to improve longevity then that is easily done
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:26 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
You can set the termination voltage for each of the LiXx types separately. If you prefer to charge your LiPo to say 4.18V/cell to improve longevity then that is easily done
Love this feature, and precise what I've done on both of my 106B's. Voltage calibration is brutally accurate as well. Spot on 4.18V/cell upon termination as measured with my Tektronix DMM.
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2008, 10:53 PM
United States, PA, Plymouth Meeting
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts
Thanks for the tip kgfly.
akshaw is offline Find More Posts by akshaw
Old Dec 07, 2008, 02:19 AM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Hi everyone, I've been out of the hobby for 15yrs. So all these new types of batteries are just great.

I have the 1010B+ charger and charged a single 3s LiPo, but had to do it without the balance adapter board(plugged balance plug from battery right into charger). Can you charge a single pack with the balance adapter board? Thanks.
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Dec 07, 2008, 05:02 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
4,966 Posts
Yes, absolutely
Normally it is meant to be used for single packs.
Don't get confused from all out talk about parallel/serial charging here, this is just optional, not seccessary.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:05 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3 Posts
Hello i have a problem with the balance board and lipo 2s charge in serie.

In order :
-i connect my 2 packs lipo and balance board.
-i connect lead charge cable on my charger
-i connect the first pack to the serie lead charge cable

and when i connect the second pack there is an spark on balance board an cut the printed circuit on balance board .

is here an order to plug the lipo ?
thanx
capman81 is offline Find More Posts by capman81
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:15 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
4,966 Posts
Make sure the lipo, whose outer necative balance plug contact is connected to the outer necative balance board contact, is als connected to the negative charging socket with the main lead.

You will most likely find that the negative balancing contact of the pack connected to the negative charge socket is plugged in somewhere in the middle of the board, but not at the outer side.

You are about the 4th or 5th person with this problem.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez