HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2008, 02:59 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Note that LogView 2.4 (2.4.5.203) is now available. Support for the Junsi iChargers is now integrated into the standard distribution.
Gratitude to Dominik Schmidt, a dominate member of Logview, for his hard working on the iCharger integration with Logview, and we are glad to say that iChargers are official devices of LogView.
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2008, 05:54 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Hi,

I cannot upgrade my 1010B+ !

I upgraded all three 106B without problem, but the 1010B+ will not work.

See Screenshot. Updater will find the charger (after checking "include COMx port"). I download (iC1010B+_V308). I click "Update...". Get Error Message: "Device not found". Please help

I use Windows Vista X86 and the USB-Drivers included on the CD-ROM.

LogView is working without problems.

Is there any detailed Information on Upgradeing the 106B+ / 1010B+? Could only find info for 106B/1010B. I tried as in the manual (just connect to Power and USB) with the result above and I tried like with 106B with holding "STOP" on Power On and always get the same result. I also tried Power Up with and without USB connected. No change.

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Last edited by Smeagle; Dec 01, 2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 07:05 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Are you using the USB cable that came with the charger ? You must use that one and not a standard USB cable from any other device.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 01, 2008, 07:07 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Yes, I do use the original cable. But as I use a PB Battery to power the charger, it should not make any difference.

Communication is working in LogView!

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Dec 01, 2008, 07:51 AM
Germany
Joined Oct 2008
5 Posts
Hi,

Code:
NiMH/NiCD forming charge:  
You can adjust the forming current by pressing Start/Enter 
during the process. Press Inc or Dec to increase or decrease the 
charge current. After you alter the current value, store it by pressing 
Start/Enter again
Does this works for anyone?
If I press Start during the forming, FRM only blinks 1 time until the next change of the clock and thatīs it / it makes no difference in which state the forming is.

106B+ 3.07 & 3.08

Also is it useful to have a time/capacity limit in forming mode?
If you set the timelimit to a resonable value it will always hit the wall with forming.

Tnx
Matt
MaFL is offline Find More Posts by MaFL
Old Dec 01, 2008, 11:43 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost
My worry is that If I charge an 8 cell2500mh pack that unknowingly has a few bad or weak cells and the charge terminates early, my pack is not really charged to its capacity and could cause a crash. Or if I charge a 4 cell and the charger charges it as a 5 cell, would I not damage my Battery.

I have read all the posts in this thread and my knowledge is far from yours but it worries me. I have many other chargers and either I have to enter the number of cells or the charger automatically displays the number of cells that is connected, and if wrong it can be changed by user. Maybe I am wrong about this but it is very hard for me to understand.

Would it be very hard for Junsi to incorporate this feature in the charger.
I think that in one of your early posts you mentionned that it would be a nice feature when you were helping designing this great charger.
Hi!

To make sure everything is ok with your packs, you should discharge them once or twice a month, and check the discharged capacity.
Should the charger calculate a wrong cell count when charging, this is still not a big problem for the delta peak algorithm. It would charge a little longer or shorter.
Lets say, you have 4mV as delta voltage defined. This makes 16mV for a 4 cell pack. Should the charger sense 5 cells, it would set 20mV for this pack. It would make 5mV instead of 4mV per cell. As delta peak works from about 2-12mV per cell, this is not a problem.

So, in a nutshell, a healthy pack will be sensed correctly by the charger.
If the pack has bad cells, a little variation in the delta peak voltage is the least of your worries.

Quote:
Also is it useful to have a time/capacity limit in forming mode?
I have these limits switched off anyways
But you should make set these limits to, umm, like 6h and 2C when using the forming mode.
Better use the temp cut off as safety net.

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 01, 2008, 12:23 PM
USA, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Progressive RC

David,
Just received the 1010B+, thank you for the fast shipping. It took 5 days to get here but I have to blame the holiday and the small town I live in. Sure beats waiting 10 to 15 days though.
I am replacing a few chargers with this one, one beeing the Maxpro which I thought was a great charger and was very active in its debut, but it is starting to lose factory support and some changes( like getting rid of the main US dealer which was very involved on the owners thread)(also never figuring out a way to use it with Vista) they did sort of ruined the charger.
One feature they had was that when you plugged in any type of battery Lixx or Nixx it would automatically detect the # of cells and type(type between Nicd and Nimh would be 90% accurate) and if the type or # of cells was wrong you simply changed it.
I posted earlier that I was concerned that the 11010B+ did not have any way to input # of cells and Type for Nixx and that it would be a good feature to add to this charger and I received an answer from Julez (one of the geniuses in this thread), who gave me a good explanation but I still think that beeing able to enter those parameters and knowing that the charger is actually charging what you want it to charge feels safer to me.

I know that every one on this thread is mostly concentrating on Lixx's but some of us are still using both types of batteries.
So Junsi if you read this post would you at least consider this option if it is not a major program change. It could be just like the Lixx screen, you enter capacity and # of cells.
Thank You David,Julez and Junsi.
Pierre
lost is offline Find More Posts by lost
Old Dec 01, 2008, 12:41 PM
USA, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Hi!

To make sure everything is ok with your packs, you should discharge them once or twice a month, and check the discharged capacity.
Should the charger calculate a wrong cell count when charging, this is still not a big problem for the delta peak algorithm. It would charge a little longer or shorter.
Lets say, you have 4mV as delta voltage defined. This makes 16mV for a 4 cell pack. Should the charger sense 5 cells, it would set 20mV for this pack. It would make 5mV instead of 4mV per cell. As delta peak works from about 2-12mV per cell, this is not a problem.

So, in a nutshell, a healthy pack will be sensed correctly by the charger.
If the pack has bad cells, a little variation in the delta peak voltage is the least of your worries.

I have these limits switched off anyways
But you should make set these limits to, umm, like 6h and 2C when using the forming mode.
Better use the temp cut off as safety net.

Cheers,

Julez
Thank You for your reply.

I am not trying to be a pest but what if in the Auto mode you just let the charger decide but in the manual mode you could input # of cells and capacity. I believe that somewhere in this gigantic thread you mentionned that it would be nice to have this feature in the discharge mode.

By the way Thank You for devoting so much time on this project.
Pierre
Old Dec 01, 2008, 02:37 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,331 Posts
Hi Pierre!

You could try the following experiment:

Charge your Nixx pack one time with 3mV delta peak, and one time with 6mV.

I dare to make the prediction, that both times, the charge will terminate just fine.

I am using the iChargers for half a year now, and even my crappiest packs always charged just fine.

You know, the optimum delta peak voltage does not just depend on the number of cells, but also their age, the cell noise, temperature, etc.

So, theoretically, one could make a science out of every charging cycle. As we do not do this, out delta peak voltages are hardly perfect every time, but this is not really critical, as the delta peak termination also works well with values that are a little off. This is why this algorithm is so popular.
Should the charger be a little off because the cell count is off by one cell or so, this does not really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I think the default delta peak value for NiMH is 5mV or so. I always lower it to 2mV.
I guess that the default values work just fine for most people, and so do my values for me.
The same effect would be, if my charger always detected less then half (2/5th to be precise) the cell count. But also this works well, as I described.
So, just let the charger CPU do the worrying, and enjoy the hobby

In one mode, however, being able to enter the correct cell count would be beneficial, and this would be the Nixx discharge mode.
Here, the user should be able to anter the individual cell minimum voltage, and the cell count, like in the Lixx discharge menu, as I described here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...h#post10125780

Quote:
Another thing I noticed, is, that in the Lixx discharge program, one can set the cell count and the cutoff voltage per cell.
In the Nixx discharge program, one can only set the total cutoff voltage.
I find this slightly confusing and a little inconvenient.
If you have a 13 cell pack, and you want to discharge to 0.85V/cell, whats the total cutoff voltage? Anyone? Fetching a calculator is inconvenient, and calculating a wrong voltage by mental math is possibly dangerous.

Therefore, my suggestion would be, to make the Nixx discharge program in the same way as the Lixx discharge program, with the following parameters:
1) current
2) cell count
3) cutoff voltage per cell
Perhaps it would be even more convenient, that one just sets the current and cutoff voltage per cell, and the presses start. Just like in the Lixx program, the charger could display the sensed cell count in the next screen. Then, one can hit enter if everything is ok, or lower or increase the cell count with the respective buttons.

Cheers,

Julian
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Dec 01, 2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 03:06 PM
CamLight Systems
New York City, USA
Joined Oct 2003
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Perhaps it would be even more convenient, that one just sets the current and cutoff voltage per cell, and the presses start. Just like in the Lixx program, the charger could display the sensed cell count in the next screen. Then, one can hit enter if everything is ok, or lower or increase the cell count with the respective buttons.

Cheers,

Julian
Personally, I think that makes it less convenient. Instead of just entering in the cell count and current and starting, I would have to enter in the current, click a button, read and confirm the sensed cell count, and then start.

I think that if there's any chance the auto cell count could be wrong (and there's always a chance) that it's a waste of time to have to double-check it before starting vs. just dialing in the correct value.

But, that's just my opinion.
John
JohnMuchow is offline Find More Posts by JohnMuchow
Old Dec 01, 2008, 03:14 PM
USA, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts

Cheers,

Julian

Yes I like this last statement
Last edited by lost; Dec 01, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: errors
Old Dec 01, 2008, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2008
16 Posts
YIKES!!

Hi all.
New member here. (2 days)
Been flying helis for about a year. A TRex 450 for the last 4 months.
I have been charging my batteries with a cheepo ESky charger that I got with a Belt CP.
As it happens, I ordered a 106B+ a few days ago. (its looking like I made a good choice )
I just downloaded the manual.....
I can understand it ok but am clueless as to how i can and should recharge my batteries.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
I have about a week to get an education on recharging LiPos
Heliwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Heliwrecker
Old Dec 01, 2008, 08:57 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
A good place to begin is with the link below, and then post any questions that you may have here or in another appropriate thread. You'll find most folks on RCG are hella-helpful:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

and if you have months, not weeks, read up here to understand the battery :
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
http://www.buchmann.ca/faq.asp

A little in need of update, but still accurate - the author has always appealed to me and is the man behind Cadex. They make some of the best and most advanced battery discharge and testing devices in the world.

As far as accurate internal resistance measurements mentioned a few posts back, this is worth a read:

http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap9-page2.asp

Jun-Si or other super-technogeeks: Care to comment on methods used?

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by write2dgray; Dec 01, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 09:15 PM
United States, PA, Plymouth Meeting
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts
Hi,
Can someone give me some direction on what gauge wire should be used as charger lead? Supposing you are wanting to charge at 10amps. I've seen banana plug /ultra deans charger leads that have are 16 ga and 14ga, but wondering if this is too thin. I'm guessing best of all (before the wire becomes too fat to handle) is 12 ga.
Thanks,
-Anthony
akshaw is offline Find More Posts by akshaw
Old Dec 01, 2008, 09:35 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaw
Hi,
Can someone give me some direction on what gauge wire should be used as charger lead? Supposing you are wanting to charge at 10amps. I've seen banana plug /ultra deans charger leads that have are 16 ga and 14ga, but wondering if this is too thin. I'm guessing best of all (before the wire becomes too fat to handle) is 12 ga.
Thanks,
-Anthony
Hello Anthony,

16 ga banana plug deans charger lead is enough.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi