SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:39 PM
Asks too many questions
Berkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2005
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Working from memory since mine is not to hand, once in Lithium mode, hit Start, the "LiPo" in the top left corner will blink. Now with Up/Dwn you can cyle through LiPo, LiFe and LiIo.
Thanks kgfly - I knew it would be something obvious...!
natterjak is offline Find More Posts by natterjak
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2008, 01:11 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,326 Posts
Hi Chewy!

I belive there are main leads with alligator clips included.
I think it is hard for the manufacturer to include the correct leads: One person flys Deans, I fly Multiplex, the next flies 4mm/3.5mm/2mm bullet connectors, the next one BEC
The included main lead would be wrong in 90% of the cases.

I make all my leads myself
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
United States, PA, Plymouth Meeting
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts
Is there any need to connect the icharger to a power supply when using the usb cable to connect to a pc?
akshaw is offline Find More Posts by akshaw
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:19 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
No, not when updating the 1010B+ or 106B+, but they should all already be running the latest version software V3.08.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:26 PM
United States, PA, Plymouth Meeting
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts
Thanks. You just saved me a step. I was about to load the upgrade. So far I like this charger. Pretty much just plug and play.
akshaw is offline Find More Posts by akshaw
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:29 AM
USA, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
2 Questions

Just ordered my 1010B+ and downloaded manual to get familiar. I noticed in manual that there is nowhere to enter the number of cells in ni-cad/nimh charging and discharging. How does the charger know if there is a bad or weak cell in the pack, and how do I know it does not charge an 8 cell as a 6 cell or a 4 cell pack as a 6 cell.

2- I downloaded logview and selected English but lots of info is still in German and the help menu is all German. Is this normal and is there an english help menu somewhere. Thanks
lost is offline Find More Posts by lost
Last edited by lost; Nov 30, 2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: errors
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
2- I downloaded logview and selected English but lots of info is still in German and the help menu is all German. Is this normal and is there an english help menu somewhere.
I found the same thing. I think the English translation is very limited to just the main menu.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 30, 2008, 05:11 AM
Joined Apr 2007
33 Posts
Hi,

I'm new owner of 1010B+ charger but got one issue on Internal resistance measurement on individual cell of lipo battery...

Ir is wrong on the 2 first channels...

Let me explain:
On brand new 6S 5000 lipo packs, the 2 fist channels were always giving me really low Ir value (like 2m Ohms, 4 mOhm where other channels are in the level of 12mOhms)

I could reproduce this for every pack measured.

So i made antother test:

For this test, i'm using 2 3S2500 packs connected in series.

Here is the measurement with 2 packs in series in 1st order

Here is now measurement when inverting the packs in the serie order (1st pack becomes second).

Normally measurement of cell 1,2, 3 of 1st measurement should be now shown on cell 4,5 and 6 but as you can see it is not the case...

Any suggestion or feedback is welcome because actually this functionnality is not accurate and then not usable.

I'm using version 3.08 of the software (but was same on previous version 3.07)

Thanks
Bruno.
bruno95 is offline Find More Posts by bruno95
Old Nov 30, 2008, 05:12 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,326 Posts
Quote:
I noticed in manual that there is nowhere to enter the number of cells in ni-cad/nimh charging and discharging.
There is no need to know the cell number to make the delta peak termination work right. The delta peak termination only compares the different voltages over time, so the differences in voltage, and not the absolute voltage is important.
But I think the charger estimates the cell count judging from the voltage it has to provide while charging.

When you use a voltage-sensitive charge algorithm, like the forming charge mode, you have to enter the cell count manually.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:49 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Note that LogView 2.4 (2.4.5.203) is now available. Support for the Junsi iChargers is now integrated into the standard distribution.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 01:23 PM
USA, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
There is no need to know the cell number to make the delta peak termination work right. The delta peak termination only compares the different voltages over time, so the differences in voltage, and not the absolute voltage is important.
But I think the charger estimates the cell count judging from the voltage it has to provide while charging.

When you use a voltage-sensitive charge algorithm, like the forming charge mode, you have to enter the cell count manually.
My worry is that If I charge an 8 cell2500mh pack that unknowingly has a few bad or weak cells and the charge terminates early, my pack is not really charged to its capacity and could cause a crash. Or if I charge a 4 cell and the charger charges it as a 5 cell, would I not damage my Battery.

I have read all the posts in this thread and my knowledge is far from yours but it worries me. I have many other chargers and either I have to enter the number of cells or the charger automatically displays the number of cells that is connected, and if wrong it can be changed by user. Maybe I am wrong about this but it is very hard for me to understand.

Would it be very hard for Junsi to incorporate this feature in the charger.
I think that in one of your early posts you mentionned that it would be a nice feature when you were helping designing this great charger.
lost is offline Find More Posts by lost
Old Nov 30, 2008, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2008
22 Posts
@Junsi: Thank you for the new firmware.

Just curious about 8s lifepo charging...
Given a PS with > 13.5V, then charging at 8s and 10A will run into current limitation, right?
So the charger will draw more than 10A at the input side for e.g. given 14V input and charge up to (8*3.6V) at the output?

For 4s, 10A lifepo charges I can see about 11 Amps being drawn at the input (14V).
tantive is offline Find More Posts by tantive
Old Nov 30, 2008, 05:58 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
The charger is a power converter. Due to losses, the input power will always be greater than the output power. I find assumine 80% efficiency is a useful working figure to estimate the input power.

To estimate the input current divied the estimated input power by the input voltage.

Pin = Pout / 0.8
Iin = Pin/ Vin = Pout / (0.8 x Vin)

So in your examples:

8S A123 @ 10A --> Iin = 8 x 3.45 x 10 / (0.8 x 14) = 25A

4S A123 @ 10A --> Iin = 4 x 3.45 x 10 / (0.8 x 14) = 12A

Now when the input and output voltages are similar the efficiency will tend to be higher than when there is a large difference. So your observed "about 11A" for the 4A A123 case makes sense.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:01 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Yes, 4S*3.6V = 14.4V, 14.4V*10A = 144W. At 14V supply this would require 10.3A + a certain allowance for efficiency, usually 10-20%.

At 6S lipo, 25.2V and 10A charge = 252W, assuming a 15V power supply this requires 16.8A (252W/15V), let's say 21A min. to be on the safe side assuming 80% efficiency (16.8A/.80=21A).

From page 3 of the 1010B+ manual:
Quote:
Two input power choices: DC jack with auto-resetting fuse (maximum input current 7A) and butt-welded alligator clips with 4mm bullet connectors (25A)
And page 3 of the 106B+ manual:
Quote:
Two input power choices: DC jack with auto-resetting fuse (maximum input current 6A) and butt-welded
alligator clips with 4mm bullet connectors (25A).
Looks like the main inputs are good to at least 25A, which is about the max. it would see when working from a 13.5V supply. 25A*13.5V=337.5W, which is just about what you would need to pull on the 1010B+ to run it at max. power.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2008, 02:51 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno95
Hi,

Any suggestion or feedback is welcome because actually this functionnality is not accurate and then not usable.
Hello Bruno,

We will make more improvement on Internal resistance measurement, but maybe it's a little bit difficult to get a more accurate data presently.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi