SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
Joined Jun 2008
16 Posts
Is it possible to use the TP board with a 106b+ to charge 2 x 6s lipos in parallel using the 6s and 7s ports such as how write2dgray described with 3s?
synisterphx is offline Find More Posts by synisterphx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2008, 05:48 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by synisterphx
Is it possible to use the TP board with a 106b+ to charge 2 x 6s lipos in parallel using the 6s and 7s ports such as how write2dgray described with 3s?
Yes. The charger will still only see the resultant pack as 1 x 6s battery, albeit of twice the capacity.
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Nov 14, 2008, 03:04 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Friend of mine asked me i he can balance charge NiMH batteries with iCharger? Do nimh need to be balanced? I'm talking about classic AAA (AA) and SC / 2/3A
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:29 AM
CamLight Systems
New York City, USA
Joined Oct 2003
1,172 Posts
All packs perform better if the cells are all at the same state of charge/discharge. With NiMH (and NiCd) packs, a problem can occur during discharge when the cells are unbalanced and the discharge is deep. If one cell drops below 0V before the overall pack voltage drops to the cutoff point, that cell can have its polarity reversed and be damaged.

While Ni packs are not balanced the same way as Li packs are (with taps) you can balance the cells with a long, slow charge to about 125%-150% of the cell's capacity. The slow charge (0.1C or slower) prevents the cells that are topped off first from overheating as they continue to charge. The long charge makes sure that all of the cells have a chance to fully charge. Once this is done, the pack is balanced. I recommend doing it every month or two for all NiMH and NiCd packs.

To support this, the iCharger has a "Forming Charge" mode. It does a 1C charge to a certain point and then slows down until the charge reaches 125% of the cell's capacity. This will balance the pack.

John
JohnMuchow is offline Find More Posts by JohnMuchow
Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:49 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Thank you
So i could try it with my AA NiMH from my camera and radio (have no icharger here, but hope i can adjust forming charge for AA, coz i can't charge those with 1C)
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:04 AM
CamLight Systems
New York City, USA
Joined Oct 2003
1,172 Posts
Yes, you can adjust the current the iCharger uses for the Forming Mode, but only after the charge starts.
So it will work for those AA cells, as long as you have a holder for the cells to use during charging.

Otherwise, the iCharger uses the capacity setting you entered in to calculate the 1C initial charging rate. If you tried to trick out the iCharger by entering in a lower capacity to force a lower charge current, then you'd mess up the calculations the iCharger makes to bring the pack to a 125% charge.

John
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:40 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
I bought some holders (here ), so i'm gonna build something universal.
Hope 1C will not damage AA nimh for that few secs, until i adjust the amps.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:49 AM
CamLight Systems
New York City, USA
Joined Oct 2003
1,172 Posts
No worries about any damage. A too-high charge rate will only damage the cell near the end of the charge when it can cause the cell to overheat (unless absolutely ridiculous).

Give David at ProgressiveRC a holler for the iCharger (http://www.progressiverc.com/. He has them in stock and got one to me VERY fast.

John
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:04 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
So should i change 1C current right after starting or not? Just wait until iCharger drop it to 0.1C automatically?
Holler for the iCharger?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:23 AM
CamLight Systems
New York City, USA
Joined Oct 2003
1,172 Posts
Try leaving the iCharger at its own settings for the first charge. But, monitor the cells carefully and if they start to overheat (get too warm to hold for long periods comfortably), stop the charge, let them sit until cool, and then try charging again but try lowering the current, after the charge starts, to 0.5C. I suspect that you'll be OK with the iCharger's 1C selection though.

Sorry...was saying to contact David, i.e., give him a yell or "holler", at ProgressiveRC for the charger.

John
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:26 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
i have enabled temp probe + will be watching the batteries, too
Still can't understand what you were trying to say? or it wasn't for me?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:37 AM
CamLight Systems
New York City, USA
Joined Oct 2003
1,172 Posts
When I said to "give David a holler for the charger" I was saying "contact David about buying a charger". I'm not sure where you're located but "giving someone a holler" is an American slang phrase for calling them or contacting them in one way or another. But I just noticed that your tag is "iCharger 106B user" so you've probably already bought one.

Great idea about the temp probe, forgot about that. Be sure to very firmly connect it to the cell and cover it with a couple layers of tape or a blob of modeling clay to make sure that area doesn't cool down in the air before the heat reaches the probe.

John
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:08 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Oh.. i see, i'm from Slovakia

I'm puting temp probe over the battery so it has proper temp contact (battery weight make the probe stick to the battery case)
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:09 AM
Joined Aug 2006
743 Posts
It says on each of his posts where he is from, & if you click on his name, then click on location, it shows a map of where that is in the world.
ukpaul is offline Find More Posts by ukpaul
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:14 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
knowing location don't make you know the local slang
if it is what you wanted to say