HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2008, 06:57 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I gather you are refering to the FP/TP adapter board. It is made that way to accommodate the way FP-style balance leads are made. Since balance leads are often short, trying to share connectors for different cell-count setups would possibly not work.

J1, J2, H1 and H2 allow for series charging of multiple packs. The board supports 3 x 2S = 6S or 3 x 3S = 9S.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:50 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-T
Hello

Mr Jun si,
I have got lot of problem with my 106B. When I try to launch a charge I've got often short error brake down error. Ive check twice the shape and soldering on my battery. I didn't notice any defect.
When I try to charge the same battery on my Bantam BC6 the charge start right away.

Today I noticed that one of my Lipo got unbalanced. I did set charge to Lipo balance with only 0.50 A. The charge start but the charger got very very hot in few seconds with a smell of burned electronic then the message "short error ... termination" appear.
Luckly I was nearby and stoped it. I let it cool down and tried to charge a nimh pack @ 1 amp, after several "connection problem" and "short error break down" The charger start charging and stayed cool the whole process.

Right now
I'm worried about the reliability and safety of my charger. Is this all normal to get so many error ? What about the dangerous thermal runaway while charging a lipo battery ?
Hello Sir,

According to your description, it is assumed that your charger damaged. Later, I will send you a PM, pls check it!

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:53 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnersj
Hi Junsi,

Just to add to clarifythe last line of my mail:

On swich on it always goes to the error message
lNT. TEMP OVER below BREAKDOWN (within 2-4 secs)

The PROGRAM SELECT part shows for only a very short time or not at all on repeated switch off and on.

br Steve
Hello Sir,

I have send you a PM, pls check it.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Hey guys - here's an idea for parallel charging lipos using your iCharger.
Yeah, this works really well:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2095955
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:40 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Well, how did I miss that! Thanks for the link Julian. These balance boards and the high power of the iChargers really allow for some great, flexible solutions for charging multiple packs at once.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:50 AM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Since balance leads are often short, trying to share connectors for different cell-count setups would possibly not work.
I don't think I'm following you here. If a 2S and a 3S (for example) shared the same connector on the adapter board, how would this be affected by the lengths of the balance lead connectors?
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Old Nov 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
I don't think I'm following you here. If a 2S and a 3S (for example) shared the same connector on the adapter board, how would this be affected by the lengths of the balance lead connectors?
All I meant was that with the odd way TP/FP make use of the various size connectors as you move up from 3S to 10S, if you did not have paired connectors side-by-side it might get tricky. No big deal. In the end the balance boards are cheap even with the multiple connectors.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
16 Posts
would it also work to charge 2x6s packs in parallel using the 6s and 7s ports?
synisterphx is offline Find More Posts by synisterphx
Old Nov 10, 2008, 05:15 PM
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
In the end the balance boards are cheap even with the multiple connectors.
agreed, and now it looks like you get parallel charging also. My only problem is the size of the board not wanting to conveniently fit in my battery bunkers
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Old Nov 10, 2008, 05:25 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I think that a 12 inch flower pot inverted with the leads passing through the drain hole ought to work ok
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:47 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3 Posts
Hello i'm french and i don't learn english very well.

I have just one question before buying icharger 106b . I want to buy an icharger 106b+ for charging my lipo packs 7.4v 5A in serie .

What kind of adaptator should i buy to charger 3x2s with icharger 106b+
please ?

Can i connect just 2 packs 2s for charging with the 3x2s ?

I want to say if icharger106b+ indicate the volts of each cell on the screen ?

And i want to say if it can charge new lipo packs accept 2c charging ?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks
capman81 is offline Find More Posts by capman81
Last edited by capman81; Nov 11, 2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 05:23 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Faulty 106B

My 3 month old 106B ( no usb port fitted ) has just died on me. last night I was using it fine on a hot bow ( setting was 8V @3A ). This morning I came to charge a 4cell NiMH pack, and upon connecting the charger to my 12V PB supply ( off load measured 13.4v) I got the same sort of message as the other poster below, "Over temp - shut down" or something ( cant remember the exact words ). This was INSTANT, nothing else appeared even briefly, and there was no sign of any overheating or other problem ( burning smell, sparks, etc ). I disconnected it, and left it a few seconds. On connecting again, the LCD display showed a few stuttering vague letters, the fan "stuttered" and then display went blank. I disconnected again. 5 minutes later I connected again, and now it is completely DEAD.
It was working fine last night with no signs of problems whatsover.
As I am in the UK, and this was sent directly to me by JUNSI, I cant just send it back to my dealer....should I open it up and look for a short / dry joint etc?
Will this affect my right to return it to Junsi if thats what I have to end up doing?
Its a bummer dude, 'cos I was just getting to enjoy my I-chargers

**** it - lets go bowling !
Luckily, I also have the 1010B+
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Last edited by badger-b; Nov 11, 2008 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 11, 2008, 05:31 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capman81
Hello i'm french and i don't learn english very well.

I have just one question before buying icharger 106b . I want to buy an icharger 106b+ for charging my lipo packs 7.4v 5A in serie .

What kind of adaptator should i buy to charger 3x2s with icharger 106b+
please ?

Can i connect just 2 packs 2s for charging with the 3x2s ?

I want to say if icharger106b+ indicate the volts of each cell on the screen ?

And i want to say if it can charge new lipo packs accept 2c charging ?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks
Hi there.
1) The charger usually comes with the adaptor boards as shown elsewhere on this thread. I beleive the JSTXH style are the most common - check with your supplier as to which board it comes with. Julez has done an excellent thread on connecting packs to the unit in multiple configurations. It is linked to here
Also check this post.
2) You can connect 2 x 2s packs in series or parallel ( better ) and balance charge / charge. The amount you link together is linited only by the harness you make /buy, and the chargers output.
3) Yes - individual cell voltages are displayed by scrolling through the menu screen during charging /discharging....providing of course, that the battery balance taps are connected to the unit.
4) Yes - you just set the current that you want to charge at and away you go. The unit will detect the charge voltages and terminate at the preset levels ( normally 4.2V per cell for Lithium Polymer )

NOTE: Be very careful when charging LiPos at anything other than 1C - not many packs are really designed for this, and besides, it probably reduces overall pack life.
Your English is far better than my French.
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Last edited by badger-b; Nov 11, 2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:01 AM
Joined Jan 2006
44 Posts
wow, what a long treath... my only question is... can you connect it to the computer pc?? greetz
skystar is online now Find More Posts by skystar
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:09 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
All '+' version are PC USB enabled : 106B+ and 1010B+
Older versions 106B and 1010B could be manually upgraded to accept new firmwares, but not LogView graphing
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun