HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:06 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen
Are you saying that the current communication port can't be used for data logging at all, even in future firmware releases?
(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1409)

Fred
Hello Fred,

Yes, currently only the 106B+ can be used for data logging.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:07 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Currently, yes.
Is it posible to add this feature to 106B, or it's not posible coz of hw architecture?
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Sep 08, 2008, 03:57 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun
Currently, yes.
Is it posible to add this feature to 106B, or it's not posible coz of hw architecture?
Hello,

At first, the communication port of 106B is used in balance discharge controlling, later we separate this function line and data line in 106B+. Sorry to say that 106B is impossible to support logview because its hardware architecture.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Sep 08, 2008, 05:03 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
At first, the communication port of 106B is used in balance discharge controlling, later we separate this function line and data line in 106B+. Sorry to say that 106B is impossible to support logview because its hardware architecture.
Junsi,

I guess this also true for the 1010B, for the same reason?

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2008, 07:53 AM
Why's the rum always gone?
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Apr 2004
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello,

Regards,
Junsi
Junsi,

If this is the case with both the 106b and the 1010b, and I am taking for granted that the next generation of the 1010b will have the USB capabilities of the 106b+, would you consider a trade in program for those of us who were early adopters?

I for one plan on buying another 1010b so I can have one at home and one to take to the field with me. If there is going to be a 1010b+ I will wait but it would be nice to be able to get my existing 1010b upgraded as well.
longhair is offline Find More Posts by longhair
Old Sep 08, 2008, 11:38 AM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
New firmware (3.07) is working great for me. I've updated both my 106B and 1010B successfully and have now ran over a dozen lipo cycles. Charge times are greatly improved with charges now taking 43 minutes on average for 3S 2200 mAh charges at 2.2A (1C) after discharging to ~75% (1650 mAh). Everything is working very smoothly and the improved algorithm now makes this the fastest balancing charger I own.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2008, 07:50 PM
nooobama
United States, PA, Stroudsburg
Joined May 2004
984 Posts
now that's funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair
Junsi,

If this is the case with both the 106b and the 1010b, and I am taking for granted that the next generation of the 1010b will have the USB capabilities of the 106b+, would you consider a trade in program for those of us who were early adopters?

I for one plan on buying another 1010b so I can have one at home and one to take to the field with me. If there is going to be a 1010b+ I will wait but it would be nice to be able to get my existing 1010b upgraded as well.
finishman2000 is offline Find More Posts by finishman2000
Old Sep 08, 2008, 07:53 PM
Why's the rum always gone?
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Apr 2004
342 Posts
you gotta ask or you'll never know.
longhair is offline Find More Posts by longhair
Old Sep 08, 2008, 09:28 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanie
Junsi,

I guess this also true for the 1010B, for the same reason?

T
Hello Thomanie,

This is not entirely true for the 1010B, but while charging and discharging at a high power capacity during our testing, the communication port of 1010B may be a little unstable.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Sep 08, 2008, 09:31 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair
Junsi,

Hello,

Next step we plan to do some research on 1010B+, which may be released two months later. Would you please wait it patiently?

Regards,
Junsi
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:16 AM
Joined Jun 2007
4 Posts
Thanx for the welcome.

very, very unfortunate to all you hobbyists...
I disagree that adding a high end power supply costs $200-300 .

This one just costs $80, a good PS brand.
Thermaltake 550W power supply

I'm glad I am no longer in this hobby, battery charging technology hasn't changed for the last 10 years.

You've all been suckered by the makers of these chargers.
bottom line why they won't include a Power supply? --> GREEEED baby. more PROFITS selling them w/o a PS.

kudos to a few ones like the Mega Power Poseidon-860DS and Hyperion EOS 0606i, its included albeit at a low power rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL
Yes, adding an AC->DC converter within the charger will add a lot of cost, weight, size and electric standards testing/compliance, which is more time and cost again. It's a standard practice not to include it in chargers that are capable of more than 50W of output.

Check the prices on high end 300-400W+ PC power supplies, keeping in mind these are made in quantities of billions. Whereas hobby grade chargers are made in quantities of thousands. Those power supplies can cost you upwards of $200-300 if not more.

Another reason not to include a DC power supply is that most people get one, and use it for a long time. They may switch chargers with time, but keep using the same DC power supply. So they wouldn't want to have to pay extra money every time they change chargers.

Now, keep in mind the small form factor and low weight are only possible because a DC supply is not integrated.

If you look around, you'll find that there simply are no chargers with AC input of over 50W charging power. There are a couple german ones I've heard of, that do include a DC power supply and are 300W+, but they cost $500-700 or something.
shinyballs is offline Find More Posts by shinyballs
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:23 AM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyballs
You've all been suckered by the makers of these chargers.
Erm - no we haven't. We knew what we were buying and we willingly paid for it. Where is the suckering in that? Since the price of chargers is coming down all the time, I see that as a good thing.

If we were being sold stuff that didn't work, that would be suckering. But in this case, as far as I can make out, Junsi is repairing or replacing any charger that goes wrong. So where is the suckering?

I've never paid for a power supply in my life. I use PC PSUs.
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:34 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
If you are not in the hobby and glad to be out of it you probably have little useful to share in this thread. My own observation is that battery technology and charging technology have both changed by leaps and bounds in the past 10 years. Tell me where you could buy a high power LiPo ten years ago or any charger with the rich mix of features and precision operation that we see in many today, let alone the power levels.

That power supply that you link to is only 12V@17A (200W) so not adequate to run a 1010B and at $80 would add at least 50% to the retail price of the charger. It is also about four times the size and several times the weight of the charger ! You have only to compare the variants of the 50W chargers with/without AC power supplies to see that exactly these factors apply. They are much bigger, heavier and more expensive than their DC-only siblings with the same feature sets and ratings. They are however successful since at the 50W level, the compromise remains acceptable.

Your proposition that the absence of an integrated AC power supply is some sort of evil money-grubbing trick is foolish and unsupportable by the evidence.

Only a small subset of users would prefer a 250W charger to have an integrated power supply since it would:

* Make the charger much larger and heavier and hence less portable
* Add a lot to the price
* Force the user to buy a power supply with every charger

Many of us have multiple chargers and single power supplies capable of running them. This is a more flexible and cost effective solution than having multiple clunky, oversize chargers each requiring their own AC outlet.

Unless you have specific contributions to make or questions to ask about the charger that is the topic of this thread it would be better to start your own thread where you can expound your views about integrated vs non-integrated power supplies and leave this thread to those interested specifically in discussing the Junsi chargers.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:43 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
I knew perfectly what I bought.

I was fortunate to get get two 20A Mascot PSU's at work from scrapped car audio demo stands for free

Peter

EDIT: @ shinyballs,
I'm almost 3 years into this hobby (flew glider +25 years ago) and having the ride of my life.
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Last edited by wolw; Sep 09, 2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:49 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,193 Posts
Now lets put this balls guy to our ignore liste already
I guess he is trolling around in car forums as well, ranting about the infamy that cars are not generally sold including a garage

Great news about the 1010B+. My buddies are waiting impatiently for such a charger.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez