SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2008, 03:19 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimmeke
Is there any way I can get this charger up and running again?
What do you use to power the charger?
Might be an idea to try a different one to eliminate the possibility of a failure in the powersupply.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2008, 03:28 AM
Belgium
Joined Oct 2005
21 Posts
I've tried my regular 14V 16A power supply and a car battery. The power supply doesn't seem te affect the charger's behaviour.
wimmeke is offline Find More Posts by wimmeke
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:12 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Hello ML Crisis,

Thank you for your feedback, and your comment will inspire us to improve it.

In the last period of balance, it may appear that all cells' voltage exceed 4.2V slightly, which happens occasionally. The main cause to this phenomenon is that the MCU can not adjust the speed very smoothly in such a short time, thus lets you face with this problem.

Thanks again for your understanding.

Regards,
Junsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML_Crisis
Hi Junsi,

I purchased the 106B charger to charge LiPo and LiFe batteries safely and efficiently, not to break in brushed motors, cut foam, or function in a crippled fashion as a "lab" power supply.

My iCharger 106b, FW revision is 1.06, is fraught with problems of charge completion using "balance" charge options for both LiPo an LiFe. It is incomprehensible to attempt rationalizing how all cells within a battery pack should be discharged simultaneously during balance activities.

It appears that whomever the engineer is responsible for the operational code for the iChargers should be sent back to school - maybe absorb the information that the instructor was trying to convey instead of daydreaming of rewards for incompetent performance.

I urge you/Junsi.com to forgo adding/supporting divergent features (i.e. foam cutting, motor breakin, etc) and address the issues of product deficiencies with the charger.

I am not a happy customer - I would really appreciate having a battery charger that performs as promoted/advertised
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:16 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Hello Wim,

According to your description, we assumed that your charger may be damaged. I will PM you, please check it.

Regards,
Junsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimmeke
After selecting the correct charging parameters and pressing the start button, I get the battery check screen and the confirmation screen correctly. When I confirm the celcount, the charger doesn't start the charge, but restarts itself:

- there is a very brief blink of the display (backlight off, no text)
- I get the "system check, please wait" screen (same as on startup)
- I get the screen with system version (3.06), charger type (1010b) and at the right, a triple A (AAA) (same as on startup)
- then I'm in the regular menu (same as on startup)

Is there any way I can get this charger up and running again?
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:44 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,374 Posts
Wim, could you briefly check wether the inductor coil in the charger touches the case? I believe this is what caused the same problem you currently have with my first charger.

Cheers,

Julian
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:36 AM
hamilton Vic
Joined Jun 2006
182 Posts
How long should I expect a 10s1p pack to charge at 1C?

I charged one at 1C and found that it put back in 50% and took 2 hours to charge. Does this sound right?
beans07 is offline Find More Posts by beans07
Old Aug 27, 2008, 07:45 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,374 Posts
About 1:30h is normal for LiPos.
However, it can last quite a bit longer with the current firmware versions.
If you are in a hurry, disconnect the pack when the current has fallen enough.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:51 AM
Learning to fly helis
Mundijong, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2006
1,322 Posts
I had problems with charge times on my 10S packs being excessive and hitting the time limit before completing the charge (1010B v3.06). I found the problem was the charger was giving a false (high) readout of cells 8,9 and 10. This meant that the charger would be balancing/discharging these cells while the other were charging. Eventually the charger gets the correct voltage and so has to trickle charge those cells while all the others are being discharged to keep them in balance. So essentially cells 8,9 and 10 are being trickle charged so take longer to complete while the rest of the pack is charged up normally.
I fixed this by reverting back to v3.05, just waiting for v3.07...

Troy
Evil Lord X is offline Find More Posts by Evil Lord X
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:38 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
I have 106B for testing. Version 3.06b ...So far, very good, but with few notes.
I had one very discouraging experience: - set NiCD Forming charge - set 0.1A - attached very old 8-cell 1000mAh NiCD pack, and after holding Start button, past the "Testing pack..." message, the charger together with power supply, restarted.
My 12.0V power supply will shut off at 26.5Amps or if the voltage at its output exceeds 12.3Volts, and starts again within a second. It has quite strong led that clearly told me that it did really restarted.
Since the restart, charger remain functional. (Uff....). But there have to be an error somewhere. All my chargers work without any troubles with this power supply.
Perhaps PSU protection saved the charger. Just for this time?

Firmware: NiCD Forming charge started then, completed after 2hours and 30 minutes. Something is wrong with the name or with the code, as the NiCD forming charge takes 14 to 16 hours and there is no end defined before, except possible error (e.g. overtemp)..
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:51 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,374 Posts
Hi Coro, please read more about the forming charge mode in this thread. It works differently than just the 16h - 1/10C charge.
You have to set the current to 1C.

Concerning your restart problem, please open the charger to make sure the inductor coil does not touch the case.

Cheers,

Julian
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:03 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Hi Coro, please read more about the forming charge mode in this thread. It works differently than just the 16h - 1/10C charge.
You have to set the current to 1C.

Concerning your restart problem, please open the charger to make sure the inductor coil does not touch the case.

Cheers,

Julian
Thank You for the answer, I did not read before try...
As for opened charger, it looks really nice and I have seen no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCharger manual
NiCd/NiMH Forming Charge
This forming charge program aims to eliminate capacity imbalance between cells in a battery.

The iCharger first charges with constant current (CC=1C) according to the user setting. When the charging
voltage reaches the peak threshold (1.48V/cell) it switches to the CV phase. In the CV phase the current
gradually falls. When the current drops to C/4 the iCharger will charge another 25% Capacity at C/10
current and then terminate the process.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,374 Posts
In previous firmware versions, there was a problem when the tickle charge was activated. But it was fixed with V3.06. Have you activated it?

Perhaps you can put a voltage meter in parallel to the power supply, to check what is going on during your problem.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 01:23 AM
hamilton Vic
Joined Jun 2006
182 Posts
When will the next version firmware be available for the 1010b?

I am really getting frustrated with these chargers. Maybe I would be better off getting some cellpro's instead.

I am after a charger than can charge a 10s1p @ 1C and be done in an hour and without fear it will wreck my packs.
beans07 is offline Find More Posts by beans07
Old Aug 28, 2008, 03:13 AM
Belgium
Joined Oct 2005
21 Posts
Hi Julez,

I checked the coil. It can't touch the casing while it's wrapped in heat shrink tube. So that can't be the problem. I'll be sending the charger to Junsi anyway.

regards, Wim.
wimmeke is offline Find More Posts by wimmeke
Old Aug 28, 2008, 05:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2005
23 Posts
Is the previous version firmware (?3.05) bugfree? In if so, why is it not available to download/install for all those having problems with 3.06, considering the new version seems to be slow forthcoming? Atleast those with problems could get some use out of their chargers.
arrhythmia2 is offline Find More Posts by arrhythmia2