SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:27 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimmeke
Hello,

I received my 1010b charger yesterday and wanted to test ik right away. Since my 3sA123 (LiFePo) pack was fully charged, I had to discharge it first. After programming the charger to discharge to 3V per cell, I pressed the start button for 3 seconds. Then I was very surprised to see that the cellcount check was wrong. Allthoug the pack voltage was 10.6V, the charger 'sensed' a 5s pack. I just confirmed the 3s and all went well. The pack was discharge for 1900mAh. Trying the same with the empty pack (pack voltage 9.2V), the charger 'sensed' 4s. When selecting the FAST CHARGE cycle, the cellcount was correct. Is this difference in behaviour between charge and discharge cycle normal? (b.t.w. I have the latest firmware (3.06)
Hello Wim,

If you don't have a balance lead while discharging, the charger 'sensed' cellcount number is more than or equal to the actual number; while charging, the 'sensed' cellcount number is less than or equal to the actual number. Only if you balance it ,the cellcount check is correct. If you press "confirm" button, then the charger will run following the user's setting.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:59 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,897 Posts
Severe Discharge

Guys,

I am experiencing a troubling problem with my 1010B (ver 3.06) when charging two 5S A123 packs in series using the adapter board. I don't get this issue when just charging one pack, but since I run the two packs in the same bird as 5S2P, it is convenient that I charge them together. (and the reason I bought this charger)

With the charger off (as in not plugged in) I get a severe arc across the main discharge wires to the point where it welds the deans connector! I have already had to replace two pins on the adapter board because it would arc across them as well. I have since adopted this sequence for connecting the packs:

1. Disconnect the adapter board from the charger and then connect the two 5S packs to the adapter board
2. Connect the series dean adapter plug on the discharge wires of the batteries and then connect the series adapter to the charger -slight arc happens at this point -similar to plugging in an ESC to a battery.
3. Lastly, the adapter board is plugged back into the charger and then the charger is plugged into the input voltage source.

This is quite annoying, as I don't have to unplug the board from the charger and the charger from the input source when just charging a single.

Anyone else experience this?

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:03 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
140 Posts
Hello Steve,

See post #300: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300
I have melted some deans and the adapterboad aswell. When connecting them as described in #300 it works perfectly.

regards
/Hans
HaBo is offline Find More Posts by HaBo
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:11 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaBo
Hello Steve,

See post #300: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300
I have melted some deans and the adapterboad aswell. When connecting them as described in #300 it works perfectly.

regards
/Hans
Hans, Thanks for your input. I am connecting the batteries the same way as shown in your diagram. Once I can get the batteries all hooked up to the charger without incident, the batteries charge perfectly. It is the sequence of the connections that is causing me trouble.

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:12 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
140 Posts
Hello,

I have a problem with my 1010b/v3.06. When balance charging a 3s LiPo at 1c the charge process will not end. (Safety timer ends the process after 2h)

It dosen't seem to be any problem with the LiPo after safety timer ends the process, no overcharging or anything...

Is there a workaround to this issue?

regards
/Hans
HaBo is offline Find More Posts by HaBo
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:16 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperscorpic
In other words, if I buy from eHeli, the charger will come with the port already installed, or do I need to make a special request to Robert to do it?
Yes, it will come with a 3-pin serial port pre-installed. Robert does this for all chargers AFAIK, but feel free to email him to confirm. He's very friendly and will answer any questions you may have. But again, you will still need the $30 TTL/USB cable to connect the charger to a PC if you want the ability to upgrade its firmware (whenever a newer one might come out). It's avaliable from eHeli as well.

Quote:
So far, I'm deciding between the 1010 or 106. I dont even need 6s capability, as my lipos are 2s. But I do like the higher discharge capability of the 1010, which is useful for 'breaking in' new lipos. Guess I'll stick to 106, as the 1010 is a lot more expensive than the 106, and its not justifiable to pay that much more for a higher discharge capaility.
Good choice, go for 106B. Besides, most people don't recommend 'cycling'/'breaking in' new Lipos at all. You're just using up their lifespan on producing heat. Instead it's probably better to simply use them in your airplane/car/whatever and just go gently (i.e. not full throttle all the time) the first few cycles if you want to.
shurcooL is offline Find More Posts by shurcooL
Old Aug 25, 2008, 05:37 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL
Good choice, go for 106B. Besides, most people don't recommend 'cycling'/'breaking in' new Lipos at all. You're just using up their lifespan on producing heat. Instead it's probably better to simply use them in your airplane/car/whatever and just go gently (i.e. not full throttle all the time) the first few cycles if you want to.
You have a point. iCharger 106B, here I come!
Oh but I just realised the pricing on eHeli is a lot more expensive than Hobbycity. I am aware that eHeli prices is in australian dollars (I think), and Hobby city in USD, but eHeli price is about 2 times the prices shown on Hobbycity. But USD to AUD is not even 1.5 times, let alone 2 times!
hyperscorpic is offline Find More Posts by hyperscorpic
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:56 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaBo
Hello,

I have a problem with my 1010b/v3.06. When balance charging a 3s LiPo at 1c the charge process will not end. (Safety timer ends the process after 2h)

It dosen't seem to be any problem with the LiPo after safety timer ends the process, no overcharging or anything...
Hello Hans,

According to your description, I suggest you wait for the releasing of our new upgrading software.

Moreover, if you charged it for the first time, it will be longer to end the process, so don't worry about it.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:42 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperscorpic
You have a point. iCharger 106B, here I come!
Oh but I just realised the pricing on eHeli is a lot more expensive than Hobbycity. I am aware that eHeli prices is in australian dollars (I think), and Hobby city in USD, but eHeli price is about 2 times the prices shown on Hobbycity. But USD to AUD is not even 1.5 times, let alone 2 times!
Yep, it is more expensive from there. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth it to you to get a balance board (standard 106B as from HobbyCity doesn't come with any, just the 2s through 6s JST-XH connectors on the charger itself), Deans charging leads, 100% guarantee of the latest firmware pre-installed (though it seems even HobbyCity has v3.06 by now), the serial port soldered and the socket mounted for you (allowing you to easily connect it to a PC with just the purchase of a $30 TTL/USB cable, no modifications needed), and probably much better support in case something goes wrong (i.e. I wouldn't prefer to deal with HobbyCity if I get a DOA from them or something). As far as I can tell (and remember), those are the only advantages buying from eHeli (and you support its owner and kgfly that way; kgfly was the most useful and helpful person during my 2-3 month search for the best Lipo charger for my needs, so it was nice to give back a little support in return).

So for $100-ish you can get 95% of a great charger, and for around twice~ more you can get 105% of it, hehe. It's kinda steep pricing, so it's not an easy decision to make. Took me a few days to accept it after the initial expectation of "a $100 charger," but I don't regret getting it from eHeli. The charger is excellent and this way I'm 100% confident I won't be in the market for a new charger for quite a few years, as this one is completely future-proofed for now.

Of course, you can save money and get it from HC, but keep in mind all the limitations of buying from there. If you're fine with those, then of course HC is a much better deal.

P.S. A little note to those familiar with psychology, I think this post is prabably an excellent example of Cognitive Dissonance, hehe.

P.P.S. USD and AUD are a lot closer than you think. It's about 1 to 1.15 or so. Keep that in mind (I found out the hard way).
shurcooL is offline Find More Posts by shurcooL
Last edited by shurcooL; Aug 25, 2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 01:43 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
With the charger off (as in not plugged in) I get a severe arc across the main discharge wires to the point where it welds the deans connector! I have already had to replace two pins on the adapter board because it would arc across them as well.
Sounds like those capacitor charge sparks common for high cell count packs and ESC's. You can avoid this by making a second set of connectors on charge lead and serial harness, in parallel to the main Deans. Any small connectors can be used, like JST. Somewhere along this path you must solder a 10-100 Ohm resistor (in series). When you join these connectors, the capacitors will charge up slowly because of the resistor. Then the main Deans can be connected without any sparks. Once the main connectors is joined, there should be no welding when connecting the balancer connectors, or??

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Aug 26, 2008, 01:51 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
Junsi, looking back on post #1544, do all your chargers discharge cell 1 if charger is powered off?

Fred
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:45 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen
Junsi, looking back on post #1544, do all your chargers discharge cell 1 if charger is powered off?

Fred
Hello Fred,

I see what you mean now. The charger won't discharge cell 1 if it is powered off.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Aug 26, 2008, 04:34 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Fred,

I see what you mean now. The charger won't discharge cell 1 if it is powered off.

Regards,
Junsi
Thanks, just ordered one.
Looking forward to get the data logging capability in the future.

Fred
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:45 PM
West Linn, Oregon
Joined Mar 2006
15 Posts
Hi Junsi,

I purchased the 106B charger to charge LiPo and LiFe batteries safely and efficiently, not to break in brushed motors, cut foam, or function in a crippled fashion as a "lab" power supply.

My iCharger 106b, FW revision is 1.06, is fraught with problems of charge completion using "balance" charge options for both LiPo an LiFe. It is incomprehensible to attempt rationalizing how all cells within a battery pack should be discharged simultaneously during balance activities.

It appears that whomever the engineer is responsible for the operational code for the iChargers should be sent back to school - maybe absorb the information that the instructor was trying to convey instead of daydreaming of rewards for incompetent performance.

I urge you/Junsi.com to forgo adding/supporting divergent features (i.e. foam cutting, motor breakin, etc) and address the issues of product deficiencies with the charger.

I am not a happy customer - I would really appreciate having a battery charger that performs as promoted/advertised
ML_Crisis is offline Find More Posts by ML_Crisis
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:23 AM
Belgium
Joined Oct 2005
21 Posts
1010b failure after 1 week use?

Hi Junsi,

After a few days of testing I was very pleased with my 1010b charger until yesterday evening....

After selecting the correct charging parameters and pressing the start button, I get the battery check screen and the confirmation screen correctly. When I confirm the celcount, the charger doesn't start the charge, but restarts itself:

- there is a very brief blink of the display (backlight off, no text)
- I get the "system check, please wait" screen (same as on startup)
- I get the screen with system version (3.06), charger type (1010b) and at the right, a triple A (AAA) (same as on startup)
- then I'm in the regular menu (same as on startup)

I tried with 3 types of batteries (A123 3s, LiPo 3s2200mAh, NiCad 5x1700mAh) all with the same result.
I tried different charging/discharging/storeing cycles, all with the same result
I tried with and without balancer plug connected, all with the same result
I disconnected the charger from the power supply several times, again no result.
(The charger comes up with the correct cell count after battery check and gives an error message if no pack is connected, so there is a connection between charger and battery pack)

Is there any way I can get this charger up and running again?

Thanks,

Wim.
wimmeke is offline Find More Posts by wimmeke