HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:34 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL
Will that "discharge reduce" function apply to all battery discharge modes? Lixx/Nixx and Pb? Or just NiMH?

P.S. I've charged my Lipo quite a few times now, and each time the results were great. Still using regular Lipo charge mode at the moment, not the balance charge one, since the cells are in balance anyway. I'm loving this charger (106B)! It's very precise and gets the cells up to exactly 4.19v, which is what I set in the options for LiPo.
Hello,

Thank you for your appreciation of our charger.

Of course, this function will be applied to all battery discharge modes. I am just taking Nimh as an example.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:56 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Later, our engineer told me that in setup menu, we will add this function "discharge reduce" with ON/OFF, then the users can set I/% (I from 1 to 99), and you can adjust it in menu. Here % is to which will current drop.

That's to say, when you set in menu at 10%, if you put Nimh 2000mah discharge with 2A, after reaching 1V, current drops to 1.9....1.8....until 0.199A which is 10% of 2A discharge current at the beginning.

...this function will be applied to all battery discharge modes. I am just taking Nimh as an example
Sounds like a good solution to me. I suggest that the charger signal the end of the first phase of the discharge with some beeps and then continue at the reduced current until the cutoff voltage is reached.

So if I understand properly, the discharge process for all chemistries would be:

a) User sets the global "Precise Discharge" setting to ON, and X% (eg 10%)
b) User programs the discharge current for the currently selected chemistry = Id (eg 2A)
c) User starts the discharge cycle at current = Id (eg 2A)
d) When the battery voltage has fallen to the cutoff value the charger beeps
and reduces the current to X% of Id (eg 0.2A)
e) When the battery voltage again falls to the cutoff value the cycle ends

If this is right then I think this will be a very useful feature.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:17 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Later, our engineer told me that in setup menu, we will add this function "discharge reduce" with ON/OFF, ....
CC-CV discharge .
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:21 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
So if I understand properly, the discharge process for all chemistries would be:

and reduces the current to X% of Id (eg 0.2A)
e) When the battery voltage again falls to the cutoff value the cycle ends
My understanding of what JunSi posted is more like this:

and reduces the current in order to keep the voltage constant.
e) When the current falls to the cutoff value, X% of Id (eg 0.2A), the cycle ends

Similar to the CC-CV method of charging Lipos up to 4.2v.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference which way it's done (i.e. my CC-CV understanding, or the way you described which is CC-CC?)... or even if it's possible to do it the CC-CV way. Except that CC-CV should be slightly faster, since it spends more time discharging at higher current.
shurcooL is offline Find More Posts by shurcooL
Old Aug 21, 2008, 05:00 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
Hi Junsi!

Quote:
Later, our engineer told me that in setup menu, we will add this function "discharge reduce" with ON/OFF, then the users can set I/% (I from 1 to 99), and you can adjust it in menu. Here % is to which will current drop.

That's to say, when you set in menu at 10%, if you put Nimh 2000mah discharge with 2A, after reaching 1V, current drops to 1.9....1.8....until 0.199A which is 10% of 2A discharge current at the beginning.

Coincident with another user's suggestion, will it be practical to your original idea?
Yes, this is exactly what I meant

Could you also look again at these suggestions, especially at the second one?

Thanks,

Julian
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Could you also look again at these suggestions, especially at the second one?
I like those. Pretty simple too.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:51 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Agreed, good suggestions that would streamline and ease operation. But as previously mentioned, first get out the version 3.0X stable update and then resume tweaks and additions.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:58 AM
Belgium
Joined Oct 2005
21 Posts
Hello,

I received my 1010b charger yesterday and wanted to test ik right away. Since my 3sA123 (LiFePo) pack was fully charged, I had to discharge it first. After programming the charger to discharge to 3V per cell, I pressed the start button for 3 seconds. Then I was very surprised to see that the cellcount check was wrong. Allthoug the pack voltage was 10.6V, the charger 'sensed' a 5s pack. I just confirmed the 3s and all went well. The pack was discharge for 1900mAh. Trying the same with the empty pack (pack voltage 9.2V), the charger 'sensed' 4s. When selecting the FAST CHARGE cycle, the cellcount was correct. Is this difference in behaviour between charge and discharge cycle normal? (b.t.w. I have the latest firmware (3.06)

I also noticed something else after playing around with the LOAD feature. I loaded MEMORY0 (although I hadn't saved anything in any memory, my mistake of course). After doing that, all parameters had changed to non-sence. e.g.
Time check = 1 min
LiPo Cutoff voltage = 4.1
LiIo Cutoff voltage = 4.2!!!!
Capacity check = 1mAh
..........etc.

May I suggest to pre-load all memories with the default factory settings?

After playing around with the 1010b the rest of the evening, I must say I'm very happy I bought this charger. I very much like the fact that with saving settings to a memory, ALL the parameters are saved and that you can give the memory an name.

Wim.
wimmeke is offline Find More Posts by wimmeke
Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:07 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Did you have a balance lead attached when you started the discharge ?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:38 AM
Belgium
Joined Oct 2005
21 Posts
No, I didn't. I never balance this pack. It has over 200 cycles, including 20 ZIP-charges (20A+ direct 12V lead acid battery connection) and each cell is still withing 0.01V range. I lost 200mAh though.

In fact, this pack doesn't have balance leads, so I'm not able to test if this makes any difference.
wimmeke is offline Find More Posts by wimmeke
Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:09 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
35 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing the iCharger 106B as my next charger. I don't need 10s charging capabilities, as I'm only using 2s lipos...
I tried to read though this thread, but there's really too many pages for me to digest...
I have a few questions
What is the latest firmware for the charger?
What are the additional features that have been added? i.e. Does the iCharger come with USB support already, or do I still need to DIY?
The USB is only for firmware upgrades right? Does the icharger comes with the latest firmware flashed?

Lastly, where can I buy this charger from? hobbycity is out of stock...
hyperscorpic is offline Find More Posts by hyperscorpic
Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:50 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Latest is v3.6
Adding USB/serial port is still DIY
www.eheli.com.au have some.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 04:39 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
I think kgfly meant to say that the latest firmware version is v3.06.

You can see which new software functions were added in each firmware update in the first post (JunSi updates it). Here's a shortcut.

Adding USB/TTL port and cable can be either done by buying a few parts and DIY (soldering required), or buy it from eHeli where Robert will do it for you (and he does a great job at it) and put the latest firmware from the get-go (keep in mind you'll still need the TTL/USB cable if you wanna be able to update it yourself later on).

If you buy from HobbyCity it might be the latest firmware, or a few revisions older. I have no clue, as I didn't buy it from them.

eHeli's the only place (I know of) that offers balance adapter boards for 106B/1010B.

P.S. 106B is a great charger, I haven't had any problems with mine yet and its functionality/power/size is simply unmatched! It's awesome.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:07 PM
Joined Oct 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
I think kgfly meant to say that the latest firmware version is v3.06.

You can see which new software functions were added in each firmware update in the first post (JunSi updates it). Here's a shortcut.

Adding USB/TTL port and cable can be either done by buying a few parts and DIY (soldering required), or buy it from eHeli where Robert will do it for you (and he does a great job at it) and put the latest firmware from the get-go (keep in mind you'll still need the TTL/USB cable if you wanna be able to update it yourself later on).

If you buy from HobbyCity it might be the latest firmware, or a few revisions older. I have no clue, as I didn't buy it from them.

eHeli's the only place (I know of) that offers balance adapter boards for 106B/1010B.

P.S. 106B is a great charger, I haven't had any problems with mine yet and its functionality/power/size is simply unmatched! It's awesome.
Just a small FYI re: HobbyCity, I ordered my 1010b last week and received it preloaded with 3.06b firmware. The charger is amazing, it doesn't even break a sweat with charging my 6s cells at 1c. I love the charger, smokes my thunder power 610c.
phobix is offline Find More Posts by phobix
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
In other words, if I buy from eHeli, the charger will come with the port already installed, or do I need to make a special request to Robert to do it?

So far, I'm deciding between the 1010 or 106. I dont even need 6s capability, as my lipos are 2s. But I do like the higher discharge capability of the 1010, which is useful for 'breaking in' new lipos. Guess I'll stick to 106, as the 1010 is a lot more expensive than the 106, and its not justifiable to pay that much more for a higher discharge capaility.
hyperscorpic is offline Find More Posts by hyperscorpic