HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:30 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
So will this mod be implemented with another firmware version, as I do have quite a few SLAs that I would like to charge - what version are we on now junsi ? Mine is currently 3.06
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Last edited by badger-b; Aug 14, 2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: error
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:53 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
140 Posts
Hello,

I have tried to follow this thread but i'm not sure what to think, is the firmware version 3.06 safe to use? I can't find 3,07 to download...?

regards
/Hans
HaBo is offline Find More Posts by HaBo
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:47 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaBo
Hello,

I have tried to follow this thread but i'm not sure what to think, is the firmware version 3.06 safe to use? I can't find 3,07 to download...?

regards
/Hans
Hello Hans,

Since our chargers are still under modification, we have not released the upgrading software yet. Of course, the firmware version 3.06 is safe to use.

Kind regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:25 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
140 Posts
Hello Junsi,

Thank you that is good to know. When do you expect to release the new software and will you upgrade the manual with all the new features that you have implemented?

regards
/Hans
HaBo is offline Find More Posts by HaBo
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:18 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaBo
Hello Junsi,

Thank you that is good to know. When do you expect to release the new software and will you upgrade the manual with all the new features that you have implemented?

regards
/Hans
Hello Hans,

Thank you for your close focus on our products.

We will do our utmost to better our chargers in a short time and also we are glad to hear your voice about its new features. Actually, when we completed it, we will upgrade the manual corresponding with the object.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:38 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
I've finally finished a temporary (with wires still hanging outside) conversion of a computer PSU into a 12v DC power supply, so expect me to post a lot more in this thread now! :P

Of course the first thing I did was try charging a battery with my brand new iCharger 106B with v3.06 firmware. The only battery I have laying around atm is a 1-year-old Venom 3000 NiMH 6-cell pack in a horrible condition. It usually only takes back about 2200-2400 mAh and drops voltage to extremely low levels under high load. So it may not be the best test candidate, but it's all I got atm. I used to charge it with my previous Duratrax Pirahna Digitak Peak Detecting charger. My (first) Lipo is still in the mail.

As the unit turned on, I went through all the menus and checked out what was there. I really like everything so far, the menus are easy to navigate, the buttons work well, it beeps loud, the LCD is nice and easy to read, the backlight's great, etc.

Of course, the real test was the first charge.

I set up all the settings, and set the NiMH delta peak (sensitivity) to 15mV/cell, (Oh, I finally realized what the problem was lol) as it is the recommended value by the manufacturer. I used the manual NiMH charge and set the rate to 3.0A. It started charging with no probs. The fan kicked in a couple times, but the unit was never even warm to touch (it showed 37-42 degrees as Internal Temp.). It got to a peak of 9.30volts, and that's where I knew the battery was fully charged. However, it proceeded to charge it until the voltage dropped to about 9.20v.

I was kinda confused by that until halfway typing up this post. The delta V you set is a value per cell. So 15mV/cell * 6 cells = 90 mV, which is pretty much the difference between the 9.3v peak and 9.2v charge end voltage. Is this right? Are delta Vs always specified per cell, even on this page for Venom 3000 pack?

I hope so, as that would explain the behaviour I saw. So it seems everything is fine then.

Only other difference I noticed between this charger and my previous Duratrax Pirahna Digital Peak Charger is that 106B charged at 3.0 amps continuously at all times. Whereas the Pirahna would charge at 3.0A, then take a 5-10 second pause at 0.0 amps, then resume charging at 3A and do that pause every 45-60 seconds or so. I never understood why it did that, and I still don't know which way is better. I've heard this sort of "pulsing" is normal for NiMH chargers... I have no idea. So which way is better? Or are both ways fine? I kinda prefer the iCharger 106B way better anyway.

Ok, sorry for a long post... =( But I'm really liking the charger so far (assuming my theory about delta V sensitivity above is correct)! Can't forget its tiny footprint and light weight either. But the real test will be when I getm my Lipo and charge that - as that's what I bought this charger for in the first place.
shurcooL is offline Find More Posts by shurcooL
Old Aug 15, 2008, 01:30 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL
I was kinda confused by that until halfway typing up this post. The delta V you set is a value per cell. So 15mV/cell * 6 cells = 90 mV, which is pretty much the difference between the 9.3v peak and 9.2v charge end voltage. Is this right? Are delta Vs always specified per cell, even on this page for Venom 3000 pack?

I hope so, as that would explain the behaviour I saw. So it seems everything is fine then.
Ask Venom. that information is unclear and confusing, IMO .. 20mV is way too much if it should be normailized (per cell) as the settings of chargers are.
Of course, normal is to say per cell values, as the voltage and its changes for a pack, change with cell count and thus would be different for each pack..

Use as low value (=most sensitive) for DP sensitivity, as possible. That will reduce temperature at the end of charge, and invisible but existing internal pressure caused by a litle overcharge. I am using ZeroPk setting which means 3mV with other chargers.. If the pack get too hot during charge, reduce charge current.
Temp probe use is not bad idea with NiMH.

NiMH packs deteriorate very fast, it may happen that the current and capacity that was OK fot this pack yesterday, may be too high for it today
I dont like NiMH chemistry completely, if used at higher power and faster charge. My opinion is to stick with NiCD or move to A123 or Lipo.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Aug 15, 2008, 09:05 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
Well, in any case, the charger behaved correctly when it waited for the total voltage to drop from 9.30v to approx. 9.20v, as I specified a setting of 15mV per cell and there were 6 cells in total.

That's all I was concerned about, really. I'll probably start using a sensitivity of 10mV/cell or lower in the future for this battery (and even lower for others).
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
where to get?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying 1010B but I'm unable to find it anywhere inside the Europe (no additional tolls or taxes, faster and cheaper delivery). In couple replies there were mentions about buying it from UK retailer, but neither mentioned the store name . Are there any EU retailers out there?
paranoidi is offline Find More Posts by paranoidi
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:51 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
Do you know about hobbycity.com? They have it, and I've had no problems with their shipping so far (though I bought my 106B from eHeli.com.au for better service/support and latest firmware version). I never had to pay taxes and the shipping itself is very cheap from HobbyCity. As long as you don't have to return your item for whatever reason, of course.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:30 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
paranoidi, buy it from hobbycity. I'm from Europe and have no problems with them.
shurcooL? better support/service from eHeli? This topic is support/service and it is the best, also newest firmware is here
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:28 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
UK sourcing

I got my 1010B from a UK small supplier who actually just buys them H/C and then sells them on at a VERY small profit.... he used to make around 4 GBP after shipping etc ( $8 )
This supplier has however now stopped stocking them, due to the issues as discussed in this thread - he did have several returned which exhibited the problems of loose screws etc, and he was ending up losing money in the end. He MAY re-stock them again soon, when the latest fixes are all running smoothly. If you want to know the stockist ( Midlands based UK ) then please PM me.
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:06 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun
better support/service from eHeli? This topic is support/service and it is the best, also newest firmware is here
As far as I know, the lastest firmware has been pulled due to unresolved issues/instability?

Anyway, you still need to buy TTL/USB parts/cable and solder them yourself to the charger if you want to upgrade a charger you got from HobbyCity. eHeli also sells the convenient all-in-one balance adapter boards. But hey, if you're up for doing the soldering yourself, or are fine with an unknown firmware version, you'll be saving a lot of money.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
I don't think I can order anything from hobbycity. Their site is unbelievably slow / unstable. It takes about 30-40 seconds to load any page and there is only 1/5 change it will even succeed doing that. I tried to checkout my cart few times and it always failed at some point. And once the process is interrupted you must start from the beginning. This is at least the situation from Finland with more than adequate 8MB/1MB DSL.
paranoidi is offline Find More Posts by paranoidi
Old Aug 18, 2008, 06:15 PM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
159 Posts
I placed already more than 40 orders and never had this problem.
It is true that this site is slow but ordering never was a problem.
tuxian is online now Find More Posts by tuxian