HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2008, 05:02 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer
Are these chargers (1010b and 106b) accurate?
I once had an ICharger IC6 and it ALWAYS overcharged my cells (ex: 4.17, 4.00, 4.23 volts on termination, although it always showed 4.20v for the 3 cells on the charger).
I had to sell it, as I was only buying FlightPower Lipos and didn't want them to go bad.
This charger was not "inaccurate", it was BROKEN. And it was really not nice to sell it. You should have sent it back or dump it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer
How about these new chargers? I will only charge lipos, and accuracy of the balancer is a major priority...
I have testet 7 different units of 106B and 1010B. The all had perfect accuracy. I compared with my Fluke DMM. Differences were in the range +/-0,005V - that's what I consider "no difference".

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2008, 05:11 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantive
Hello Junsi,
I bought a sealed lead-acid battery (gel cell) to be able to charge my lipos/lifepos at the field.
At home I now have to charge the lead-acid. Using the PB mode of the charger I noted that the charge end voltage is too high and the battery starts to produce gas.
Yes, you should really not charge PB with the iChargers in the state they are now. They chose the "maximum shorttime" voltage (2,45) as CV-voltage, which will kill nearly every PB battery in the long run. It is spec'ed as the voltage, at which the transition between fast charging and standby charging (13,8V) should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantive
So the question is:
Is it possible to make the charge end voltage per cell adjustable in PB mode (as it is for lipo lifepo...)?
I discussed this a short time ago and Junsi is working on it.

- Oliver
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:47 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle
Yes, you should really not charge PB with the iChargers in the state they are now. They chose the "maximum shorttime" voltage (2,45) as CV-voltage, which will kill nearly every PB battery in the long run. It is spec'ed as the voltage, at which the transition between fast charging and standby charging (13,8V) should happen.

I discussed this a short time ago and Junsi is working on it.

- Oliver
Junsi and others that are interested may want to take a look at the following article on Lead-acid battery charging.

Charging the lead-acid battery

The adjustable voltage is a needed change, but it also seems the charge algorithm may need to be modified.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Aug 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
Austria
Joined Aug 2007
15 Posts
problem with small 2s Lipos

Hi

I have the iCharger 106B (V 3.05) and i really like it but i have a problem :

When I charge my small Hectronic 350 and 460 mah 2s Lipos in balance mode
the Charger don't finish !

I charge them with 1C
I must dissconnect them because the charger puts in about 600 mAh and still
charges (with a current arround 0,15A) and doesn't finish......I worry about overcharging !

Anyone with the same problem ?
Funflyer 112 is offline Find More Posts by Funflyer 112
Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:09 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funflyer 112
Hi

I have the iCharger 106B (V 3.05) and i really like it but i have a problem :

When I charge my small Hectronic 350 and 460 mah 2s Lipos in balance mode
the Charger don't finish !

I charge them with 1C
I must dissconnect them because the charger puts in about 600 mAh and still
charges (with a current arround 0,15A) and doesn't finish......I worry about overcharging !

Anyone with the same problem ?
I think you may need to set the balance mode to be active in CV phase, and "fast". (User settings).
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:50 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex
Junsi and others that are interested may want to take a look at the following article on Lead-acid battery charging.

Charging the lead-acid battery

The adjustable voltage is a needed change, but it also seems the charge algorithm may need to be modified.
Hello Phoenex,

Thank you for your provided information and your constructive suggestions.

Our engineer reads it specifically, and deduced that it seems not necessary of the float charge in RC chargers.

And about the settings of the voltage limits, we will collect more opinions and feedback from more users, then give you the most satisfied answer.

Thanks again for your idear!

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:45 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Quote:
Our engineer reads it specifically, and deduced that it seems not necessary of the float charge in RC chargers.
I would make this an option, like the tickle charge. So the user can decide wether he wants float charge or not.
I practically only float charge my PB batterys. This leads to a very long life.

Cheers, Julian
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:32 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
I would make this an option, like the tickle charge. So the user can decide wether he wants float charge or not.

Cheers, Julian
Hello Julian,

Thank you for your great suggestions.

We decide to add this feature:

If the voltage is more than float charge voltage, that is 2.25V, then the trickle charge will start automatically.
If the voltage is less than 2.25V, then the trickle charge will turn off immediately.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Aug 13, 2008, 04:46 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
As I told, I do this, too. In the link given by phoenex they say:

Quote:
The topping charge [=CV at ~2,4V/Cell] takes another 5 hours and is essential for the well being of the battery.
This is new to me. What do you think about it? I always thought, its better for the "well being" to only float charge / standby charge (whatever you may call it...) at ~2,25-2,3V...
But in every other aspect the text sounds very sharp and to the point, maybe I will have to revise my standpoint..

- Oliver
Old Aug 13, 2008, 04:52 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
If the voltage is more than float charge voltage, that is 2.25V, then the trickle charge will start automatically.
If the voltage is less than 2.25V, then the trickle charge will turn off immediately.
So you will introduce a set able CV-Voltage fpr PB and depending on that voltage float charge or not...

Very good solution for me!

But how will you do the transition from the set voltage down to float voltage? If you stop charging at 2,4V it will take several minutes until the battery comes down to 2,25V so there will be no current flowing for a "long" time... I would suggest display something like "DONE - Standby Charge" and just wait for voltage to drop...

- Oliver
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:00 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Three stage in ideal deep Cyle Pb charging.

Bulk 2.46 V per cell
Absorption 2.36 V per cell
Float 2.26 V per cell

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:49 AM
Oftersheim, Germany
Joined Aug 2008
20 Posts
Usb

Hello, i am new in this forum and first would like I all user to greet. There my English not perfectly is please I already in advance around apology . Now to my questions:
The new Icharger 1010 is equipped with a USB connection. Can i update The Chareger over this connection ?
Is a driver necessary and where can i found them?
What kind of more functions/possibilitys this USB connecting have ?

best regards

Jürgen
deininju is offline Find More Posts by deininju
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:03 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deininju
Hello, i am new in this forum and first would like I all user to greet. There my English not perfectly is please I already in advance around apology . Now to my questions:
The new Icharger 1010 is equipped with a USB connection. Can i update The Chareger over this connection ?
Is a driver necessary and where can i found them?
What kind of more functions/possibilitys this USB connecting have ?

best regards

Jürgen
Hello Jürgen,

You can give your PM to us, then we will send you the software for upgrading.

Best regards,
Junsi
Last edited by junsi; Aug 13, 2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:03 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Julian,

Thank you for your great suggestions.

We decide to add this feature:

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,
Junsi
Hi Junsi,

I think you mixed this up accidentally
-------
If the cell voltage is more than float charge voltage, that is 2.25V, then the trickle charge will turn off immediately.
If the cell voltage is less than 2.25V, then the trickle charge will start automatically.
-------

This way, it should work very well.

Cheers,

Julian
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:14 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Hi Junsi,

I think you mixed this up accidentally
-------
If the cell voltage is more than float charge voltage, that is 2.25V, then the trickle charge will turn off immediately.
If the cell voltage is less than 2.25V, then the trickle charge will start automatically.
-------

Julian
Hello Julian,

Yes, you are right. I mixed it up when I wrote this post.

Kind regards,
Junsi