HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:25 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
It is not possible to charge fully discharged Lipo at 1C in one hour, because there is current decrease in CV phase. It will prolong charge, and the last few mAh will always take lot of time. This is not related to charger, it is Lipo nature. 1C charge takes up to 90 minutes.. Charge time can be shorter if the charge ends at higher current, for 4200mAh the .20 is at or below the current at which I would say the pack is full. (Complete charge could be considered as until current falls below 1/20 of capacity, it gives 0.21A, but fast charge could end at 1/10C and the means at 0.42A the pack is considered almost full, If You are hurry, there is no reason to wait for the last few mAh charged in.

If current stays at around .2A for a long time, it could be caused by balancer, active balancing the pack. Once the pack will be perfectly balanced, and if You will select "balancing in CV only", it should not repeat anymore. (if You will not hurt the pack so that it get unbalanced again).
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:27 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Hello Julian,

Thanks for your constructive suggestions for further improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez

One suggestion for Junsi: I think 10% steps would be enough when adjusting the brightness of the display. This way, it does not need so long to put the brightness back to 100% after each update
We will change it to 5% steps when you press and hold the button, It will go quite fast.

Quote:
the various parameters can be set in the following order:
1) current
2) cell count
3) cutoff voltage per cell
4) chemistry (LiFe, LiPo, LiIon)

In my opinion, it would be better to swap 3) and 4), as the chemistry determines the possible cutoff voltage range.
So, this order would be better:

1) current
2) cell count
3) chemistry (LiFe, LiPo, LiIon)
4) cutoff voltage per cell
we really appreciate your idea. I have just checked with our engineer carefully, and got the conclusion, the various parameters will not be adjusted currently, in order to avoid the emergence of some other bugs, as this order was set by our engineer scrupulously. However, if more and more users need us order these, we will take it into consideration.

Quote:

Another cool feature I could think of would be the individual parameter memorization based on the chemistry. Right now, the charger only remembers the last parameters in each main menu (Lithium, NiMH, NiCd, etc).
It would be nice, if it could also remember the parameters in the submenus (LiFe, LiPo, LiIon).

One example:
I charge the following packs:
2s LiPo, 1A
3s LiIon, 0.5A
4s LiFe, 10A
As for this, you can use "save settings" and "load settings", that will be more intuitionistic.

Regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Last edited by junsi; Aug 05, 2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:57 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasaki
When charging through the mains only, 10A, 4s-A123, LiFe Fast Charge, the 106B just stops in the middle of the charge and displays Vi, Vo, and temperature information. I have it connected to a 75Ah deep cycle battery, freshly charged, no temp probe connected. Any ideas?

Ron
Hello Ron,

Thank you for your feedback!

As for this odd behavior, our engineer thought it was caused by its low input voltage. We will appreciate it if you can offer us more detail information, better for some pictures.

Regards,
Junsi
Old Aug 05, 2008, 05:10 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle
For a liquid lead battery, this is quite normal. Current will drop very slow in the cv phase, as it is "bubbling out". 2,45V per cell is really quite high. Normally charge voltage should be dropped after reaching 2,45V. iCharge will not do this as far as I know.

- Oliver
Hello Oliver,

Thank you for your useful information.

For a liquid lead battery,we decided to add this function of adjusting the "Termination Voltage".

Will it be suitable if the voltage is ranged from 2.2-2.5V ?

Best wishes,
Junsi
Old Aug 05, 2008, 06:31 AM
hamilton Vic
Joined Jun 2006
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro
It is not possible to charge fully discharged Lipo at 1C in one hour, because there is current decrease in CV phase. It will prolong charge, and the last few mAh will always take lot of time. This is not related to charger, it is Lipo nature. 1C charge takes up to 90 minutes.. Charge time can be shorter if the charge ends at higher current, for 4200mAh the .20 is at or below the current at which I would say the pack is full. (Complete charge could be considered as until current falls below 1/20 of capacity, it gives 0.21A, but fast charge could end at 1/10C and the means at 0.42A the pack is considered almost full, If You are hurry, there is no reason to wait for the last few mAh charged in.

If current stays at around .2A for a long time, it could be caused by balancer, active balancing the pack. Once the pack will be perfectly balanced, and if You will select "balancing in CV only", it should not repeat anymore. (if You will not hurt the pack so that it get unbalanced again).
My hyperion 1210i's or Duo's never took more than an hour to balance charge.

I checked the accuracy of my packs before charging (after flying) and they were only 0.02v out of balance per cell.

But when charging for some reason the last 3 cells are coming up higher than the first 7 cells and then discharging.

They have been like 4.18, 4.26, 4.30 where as the 1-7 cells are all around the 4.17-4.18.

I watched this for around 20mins. It is though the last 3 cells are the only ones getting any charge as they are constantly going above 4.20 with the balancer bringing them back down which the in-turn seems to be making the whole process longer.

The last charge took 1 hour and 35 mins and only put in 1035mah. The batteries were around 40.2 volts when put on the charge and the charger only went to 1.1A for the initial charging (set on 4.2A charge rate) and then hung around the .90 for a long time.

My hyperions always went initially to the 4.2A and then ramped down for the final part.
beans07 is offline Find More Posts by beans07
Old Aug 05, 2008, 06:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
I am now charging my 10s 4200mah packs. Currently I have the balancer set to 'fast' and also balancing on 'always'.

Are these the best settings to have?
IMO balance="fast" is good but balancing="always" has no benefit and will lengthen the charging process. I recommend using the balancing="CV phase" balance mode for best performance and least stress on the packs. The difference is small but worthwhile IMO.

If you want to be really kind to your packs, reduce the LiPo termination voltage to 4.18V. You lose a few percent of capacity but should gain 10-30% more cycles.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 05, 2008, 07:30 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07
But when charging for some reason the last 3 cells are coming up higher than the first 7 cells and then discharging.

They have been like 4.18, 4.26, 4.30 where as the 1-7 cells are all around the 4.17-4.18.
Which version of iCharger do You use?
I had a hope that this charger will not let any cell to go above maximum.., I mean 4.20V or whatever less is preset in setup. It is not true?
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Aug 05, 2008, 07:53 AM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Oliver,

Thank you for your useful information.

For a liquid lead battery,we decided to add this function of adjusting the "Termination Voltage".

Will it be suitable if the voltage is ranged from 2.2-2.5V ?

Best wishes,
Junsi
I am not Oliver but also interested.
Yes please add this feature, I think this range is fair.
tuxian is offline Find More Posts by tuxian
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:58 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
What am I doing wrong????

I charged one three cell lipo today. No problem.

I though I would be "slick" and charge two at the same time. I used a parallel deans for the 11.1 volts. Right? Both packs need to be powered?

There are three recepticales on the board. So....I hooked up the first plug in where I normally do. Then the second lipo I tried to plug in to the next one...but it zapped like it was a short circuit. What did I do wrong?

Oh no.....do you skip the far right and plug them in to 1 & 2?

How do I know if I screwed up the balance board?
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Aug 05, 2008, 02:35 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Surely you should have plugged them in serial not parallel since a 6s pack is two 3s packs in series? Aren't you supposed to use a special adaptor lead for doing this?
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Old Aug 05, 2008, 02:45 PM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
159 Posts
If you connect more than one balance plug to the balance board of the charger you must charge this batteries in series and not parallel.
I charge often two 3s 2100mAh packs in series and choose 6s on the charger.
It it important that the MINUS power cable of the first battery which is connected to the first balance plug goes to MINUS of the charger and that the PLUS power cable of the second battery which is connected to the second balance plug goes to PLUS of the charger.
The PLUS power cable of the first battery is connected with the MINUS power cable of the second battery.

Picture:

tuxian is offline Find More Posts by tuxian
Old Aug 05, 2008, 03:02 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxian
If you connect more than one balance plug to the balance board of the charger you must charge this batteries in series and not parallel.
I charge often two 3s 2100mAh packs in series and choose 6s on the charger.
It it important that the MINUS power cable of the first battery which is connected to the first balance plug goes to MINUS of the charger and that the PLUS power cable of the second battery which is connected to the second balance plug goes to PLUS of the charger.
The PLUS power cable of the first battery is connected with the MINUS power cable of the second battery.

Tuxian.....you are the man!
Old Aug 05, 2008, 03:10 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Lesson learned. Sorry for the newbie charger experience guys. 6S makes sense now.

Please dont make my mistake! If you do....you will some sparks flying which is never a good thing! I should have gone thru the user manual instead of just going for it.

Thanks again Tuxian

Dave
Old Aug 05, 2008, 03:39 PM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
Don't worry Dave..
A few of us, including myself, had to ask the question before trying..
Personally I think it is something that needs to be more clearly detailed in the manual.

Luke
LKC is online now Find More Posts by LKC
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:49 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
If you want to attempt to recover an LiXx battery that is below the charger's automatic recovery range then charge it at a low rate (eg 0.1C) using NiCd mode until the voltage has reached the recovery range, then stop the cycle and try again using the LiXx mode. Be *very* careful when doing this and do not leave the battery unattended.
I see, that means my Lipo was below Junsi mentioned values. I'll try as you suggested. Thanks
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p