HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2008, 03:57 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
4,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b
Hi junsi - dangerous for what ? The charger or the hot-wire bow ?
I suggested the time limit, so that the user does not accidentally forget the switched-on hot wire after work. An unattended hot wire might be a fire hazard.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2008, 05:01 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
362 Posts
Ah so its your fault again Julez
Thanks.. I understand now - but not sure junsi does LOL
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Aug 04, 2008, 05:01 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Perhaps in assuming 100% recharge. If it was only 50% discharged then charging at 10A gives about 8 minutes
That sounds more like it to me
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Aug 04, 2008, 05:06 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxian
Yesterday I charged a 100Ah lead acid battery with the 1010B.
The battery was already fully charged but the charger didn't stop.
It was still charging with about 14,7V and 7A (I set the max. current to 10A).
Hello tuxian,

Thank you for your focus on our products.

Sorry to say that this problem bothers you so much. You can solve this problem by upgrading the firmware into 3.06 version.

But now the upgrading software is under modification, sorry to let you wait some time.

Regards,

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Aug 04, 2008, 07:05 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
309 Posts
Hi Junsi, i have never received "Lithium Pre-Charging" menu when charging over-discharge lithium(Manual Page 13), it simply display 'Battery Check, Low Voltage" and refuse to charge.

Thanks.
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:57 AM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
106B V3.06 just stops

When charging through the mains only, 10A, 4s-A123, LiFe Fast Charge, the 106B just stops in the middle of the charge and displays Vi, Vo, and temperature information. I have it connected to a 75Ah deep cycle battery, freshly charged, no temp probe connected. Any ideas?

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Aug 04, 2008, 01:03 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
4,974 Posts
Hi Junsi,

when the new software is ready, could you implement this suggestion?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post10166033

I also thought again about this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post10125780

Now I have come to the comclusion, that it would be best to change the chemistry first, so that one can change the parameters in the following order:

1) chemistry (LiFe, LiPo, LiIon)
2) current
3) cell count
4) cutoff voltage per cell (only in discharge mode)

Another cool feature I could think of would be the individual parameter memorization based on the chemistry. Right now, the charger only remembers the last parameters in each main menu (Lithium, NiMH, NiCd, etc).
It would be nice, if it could also remember the parameters in the submenus (LiFe, LiPo, LiIon).

One example:
I charge the following packs:
2s LiPo, 1A
3s LiIon, 0.5A
4s LiFe, 10A

The next time I go into the Lithium menu, the charger automatically switches to 1A and 2s when I chose the LiPo chemistry, as these are the last settings I used the LiPo chemistry with. When I chose the LiFe chemistry, the charger automatically switches to 10A and 4s.
It is very likely, that I will need the last settings, which I used with this specific chemistry, again, when I switch to a specific chemistry. It is not very likely, that I want to keep the current and cell count settings, when switching to a different chemistry.
When this feature, where the settings are memorized depending on the specific chemistry, is implemented, this would mean less programming work for the user.

Cheers,

Julian
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 04, 2008, 02:03 PM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello tuxian,

Sorry to say that this problem bothers you so much. You can solve this problem by upgrading the firmware into 3.06 version.

But now the upgrading software is under modification, sorry to let you wait some time.

Regards,

Junsi
Hello Junsi,

I already updated to version 3.06.
What is the condition for the charger to stop charging lead acid batteries?

Regarding lipos:

Is there an disadvantage when setting "Li balance ON" to "always" instead of "CV phase"?
What are the benefits when setting "Bal Trickle" to "ON"?
tuxian is offline Find More Posts by tuxian
Old Aug 04, 2008, 08:30 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

Hello tuxian,

Regards,

Junsi
Hello tuxian,

Sorry to say that our reply is not right to your problem. Later, we checked with our engineer again, and got the conclusion that the charger stops when the current reaches 1/10C.

For example, you set the max. current to 10A, so it will stop when the current turns to 1A. You said it was still charging with 7A, that means it was still in the CV period.

Regards,

Junsi
Old Aug 04, 2008, 09:55 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p
Hi Junsi, i have never received "Lithium Pre-Charging" menu when charging over-discharge lithium(Manual Page 13), it simply display 'Battery Check, Low Voltage" and refuse to charge.

Thanks.
Hello rizky p,

Thank you for your attention to our products.

I just checked with our engineer, the suggestions are as the following:

It will triggle the "pre-chargeing" when the parameters are in the certain condition.

1)LiPo the voltage should be ranged from 3.0 to 2.0 V
2)LiIon the voltage should be ranged from 2.5 to 1.5 V
3)LiFe the voltage should be ranged from 2.0 to 1.0 V

Best wishes,
Junsi
Old Aug 04, 2008, 09:59 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Quote:
Hello rizky p,

Thank you for your attention to our products.

I just checked with our engineer, the suggestions are as the following:

It will triggle the "pre-chargeing" when the parameters are in the certain condition.

1)LiPo the voltage should be ranged from 3.0 to 2.0 V
2)LiIon the voltage should be ranged from 2.5 to 1.5 V
3)LiFe the voltage should be ranged from 2.0 to 1.0 V

Best wishes,
Junsi
If you want to attempt to recover an LiXx battery that is below the charger's automatic recovery range then charge it at a low rate (eg 0.1C) using NiCd mode until the voltage has reached the recovery range, then stop the cycle and try again using the LiXx mode. Be *very* careful when doing this and do not leave the battery unattended.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 05, 2008, 02:38 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
For a liquid lead battery, this is quite normal. Current will drop very slow in the cv phase, as it is "bubbling out". 2,45V per cell is really quite high. Normally charge voltage should be dropped after reaching 2,45V. iCharge will not do this as far as I know.

You should not charge a solid/gel lead battery with the iCharger, as it will not tolerate 2,45V per cell.

I don't use iCharger to charge lead battery, I just connect it to my 13,8V power supply. This will give much longer life for the lead battery.

But it would be a good idea to talk about perfecting lead battery charging program in iCharger. But only after LiXX is perfect, LiXX ist what is important. Most if not all chargers do a very bad job when charging lead batteries.

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Aug 05, 2008, 02:41 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
One suggestion for Junsi: I think 10% steps would be enough when adjusting the brightness of the display. This way, it does not need so long to put the brightness back to 100% after each update
Do you know, you can press and hold the increment-button? It goes quite fast that way. But i second this, 10 steps would be enough.

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Aug 05, 2008, 03:05 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
If you want to attempt to recover an LiXx battery that is below the charger's automatic recovery range then charge it at a low rate (eg 0.1C) using NiCd mode until the voltage has reached the recovery range, then stop the cycle and try again using the LiXx mode. Be *very* careful when doing this and do not leave the battery unattended.
i had two 2s lipo with under 6V, and when tried to charge thse i got error low voltage. So i detached the balance adapter, charged it a little using lipo mode with 1.6A i think (hope it will not die) and then all went smoothly. After charging i discharged it and charged again with balance adapter connected.
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:05 AM
hamilton Vic
Joined Jun 2006
179 Posts
What settings are people using and can recommend for charging/balancing?

I noticed the other night when I had it set to 'normal' and 'cv phase' the charger took 1 hour and 9 mins to charge a 4200mah pack. The packs are just getting run in and only put in 1100mah into each of the 4 packs. It seemed to linger around the 41.8-41.9v range for a long time putting in about 0.20A charge rate.

I am now charging my 10s 4200mah packs. Currently I have the balancer set to 'fast' and also balancing on 'always'.

Are these the best settings to have?

I am hoping to get an hour charge time.
beans07 is offline Find More Posts by beans07