HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2008, 11:06 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Hello...and welcome back
It was by disconnecting the pack from the cable - not cable from charger. This is the more likely scenario, with perhaps the pack being moved or whatever. I cannot try taking the leads out of the charger, as it has now been exchanged by Junsi ( excellent service again incidentally ) but the possibility of thee being sufficient leakage across the cables is surely very slight? IMO disconnection of the pack frojm the charger by menas of pack plugs, OR charger lead plugs should trigger an alarm - which indeed on my new repacement unit it does....every time I try it, so that particualr bug seems to have been sorted.
I have only found one situation so far that worries me slightly, and that was a 3s Lipo on balance charge showed a pack voltage of 12.64 although readout of each individula cell showed them each as 4.20.I stopped the charge at that point. It was being charged at 2.1A ( IC )
I have settings at terminal voltage of lipo as 4.2V, and balance mode set to "fast"with trickle "off" - anyone else seen this behaviour ?
This is firmware version 3.07 incidentally.
PS I have charged a couple of NiMh packs at approx .5C set to trickle on at 10M/a and "auto" and they did get pretty warm... I will use the temp probe next time and record the results - will do them on a single discharge / charge cycle. I think I may revert to using the temp probe and temp cut off feature in future
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2008, 11:39 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
AFAIK it is fine up to 4.25v per cell under "load" of the charger. The settled voltage (charge complete) needs to be 4.20V. I see the same behavior on my Infinity charger as well and believe it to be normal.

The only problem I am experience on V3.04 is the extended balance charge time. I will stay with that until Junsi is ready with V3.07 which addresses this.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Aug 03, 2008, 12:07 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,297 Posts
Quote:
I have only found one situation so far that worries me slightly, and that was a 3s Lipo on balance charge showed a pack voltage of 12.64 although readout of each individula cell showed them each as 4.20.I stopped the charge at that point. It was being charged at 2.1A ( IC )
Did you check the voltage with a meter externally, or did you see the voltage displayed by the charger? The charger allows up to 0.2V more than the pack should theoretically have, to compensate voltage losses in the charging cable and connectors, in balance charge mode. It is checked via the balance cable, that the cells do not exceed 4.2V.
When I balance charge, especially A123 packs, the voltage displayed regularly exceeds the theoretical voltage limit by the 0.2V margin. But the single cells never do.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 03, 2008, 12:27 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Hi Julez... no I just read off the charger display...as I say, wasn't too worried, just wondered if it was normal thats all... and by the sounds of it- it is !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Did you check the voltage with a meter externally, or did you see the voltage displayed by the charger? The charger allows up to 0.2V more than the pack should theoretically have, to compensate voltage losses in the charging cable and connectors, in balance charge mode. It is checked via the balance cable, that the cells do not exceed 4.2V.
When I balance charge, especially A123 packs, the voltage displayed regularly exceeds the theoretical voltage limit by the 0.2V margin. But the single cells never do.
Old Aug 03, 2008, 03:58 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
442 Posts
Guys just a quick question if you dont mind.

What is a "Don't do item" on 106B with 3.05 firmware? Is switch-on-the trickle-charge-on-Nimh is one of them? From what i read on earlier post about the "pzzt" sound and about the coil touching the metal case, switiching the trickle charge on 3.05 FW will damage the charger?

Thanks
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Aug 03, 2008, 04:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Michael,
Thanks for your feedbacks and your kind suggestion.
As for the Special power supply mode,"francu" has mentioned in post 1213
We are sorry to say that it's difficult for us to add this feature into our current chargers for we use MCU to adjust power supply, the adjusting reaction speed of MCU isn’t so fast as the power supply’s loading speed. If the power supply’s loading speed changes too fast, which may do damage to the charger. We will take this into consideration for our later chargers .

Best regards,
Junsi

Hello Junsi,

thanks for your reply, I wasn't aware of that post
Maybe I am taken wrong, but I don't want to be able to change the voltage or current in power supply mode.
Just fixed values to replace all the power supplies you normally carry around.

e.g. charge your cell phone, fixed setting: 5V 900mA
charge your laptop: 16V 4A
and so on.

So just adjust the values once, then the charger outputs the selected voltage and limits the current.

I don't want to replace a adjustable laboratory power supply

Kind regards
Michael
tantive is offline Find More Posts by tantive
Old Aug 03, 2008, 04:49 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Could you not just use the "foam cut" mode - I am currently using this as a supply for some testing of receiver drop out voltages and so on..... I start it off at 6V at around 1A limit and can adjust the output voltage as it is in run mode....reducing down in .10 steps until I get to brown out level ( which is actually slightly lower than 3.5V incidentally ona Spekky 6100E ) - however...drifting offf topic - sorry
PS just realised...the time limit in foam cut mode may be a problem for you
why is there a time limit anyway ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantive
Hello Junsi,

thanks for your reply, I wasn't aware of that post
Maybe I am taken wrong, but I don't want to be able to change the voltage or current in power supply mode.
Just fixed values to replace all the power supplies you normally carry around.

e.g. charge your cell phone, fixed setting: 5V 900mA
charge your laptop: 16V 4A
and so on.

So just adjust the values once, then the charger outputs the selected voltage and limits the current.

Kind regards
Michael
Old Aug 03, 2008, 10:31 PM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
iCharger 106B

Well, after charging my 4s-A123 and 6s-A123 packs with either a CellPro 4s or a laptop 120W DC-DC power supply, I finally received my 106B from HC. I charged a 4s-A123 pack in 8:24 (instead of the usual ~30min) and guess what was the first thing I thought? I wish I could charge even faster!! Some folks are never satisfied. Great little charger btw!

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Aug 03, 2008, 11:02 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Sorry!

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your detailed suggestion about the power supply mode. We really appreciate it. Moreover, we can fully understand that you don't want to replace a adjustable laboratory power supply.

We are sorry to say that the speed of the MCU we used can not reach the power supply’s loading speed. If adjust the value too fast, it will damage the charger indirectly.

Regards,
Junsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantive
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Aug 04, 2008, 01:38 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Hello!!!

Hello Tim, hello all,

Thank you for your feedback, which reminds us to tell all.

Actually, we set the time limit in "foam cut" mode, in order to avoid dangerous behaviors. If you dont want this time limit, you can set the time limit to "zero" in the menu, that will be OK.

Thanks one more time for your constructive suggestion.

Regards,
Junsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b
the time limit in foam cut mode may be a problem for you
why is there a time limit anyway ?
Old Aug 04, 2008, 02:24 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasaki
Well, after charging my 4s-A123 and 6s-A123 packs with either a CellPro 4s or a laptop 120W DC-DC power supply, I finally received my 106B from HC. I charged a 4s-A123 pack in 8:24 (instead of the usual ~30min) and guess what was the first thing I thought? I wish I could charge even faster!! Some folks are never satisfied. Great little charger btw!

Ron
Its probably too early for the math - but my reckoning is that you needed to be charging at 16.7A in order to fully fill your 4s A123s in 8.24 minutes ? How is this possible?
My math says 1C charge rate is 2.3A for 60 minutes
30 minutes would require 4.6A 15 minutes 9.2A and so on.
Put another way, a minutes recharge time would require 138A and therefore 138 / 8.24 = 16.74A
Where am I going wrong here
Old Aug 04, 2008, 02:26 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Hello Tim, hello all,

Thank you for your feedback, which reminds us to tell all.

Actually, we set the time limit in "foam cut" mode, in order to avoid dangerous behaviors. If you dont want this time limit, you can set the time limit to "zero" in the menu, that will be OK.

Thanks one more time for your constructive suggestion.

Regards,
Junsi
Hi junsi - dangerous for what ? The charger or the hot-wire bow ?
Old Aug 04, 2008, 02:53 AM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
159 Posts
Yesterday I charged a 100Ah lead acid battery with the 1010B.
The battery was already fully charged but the charger didn't stop.
It was still charging with about 14,7V and 7A (I set the max. current to 10A).
tuxian is offline Find More Posts by tuxian
Old Aug 04, 2008, 03:18 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Its probably too early for the math - but my reckoning is that you needed to be charging at 16.7A in order to fully fill your 4s A123s in 8.24 minutes ? How is this possible?
My math says 1C charge rate is 2.3A for 60 minutes
30 minutes would require 4.6A 15 minutes 9.2A and so on.
Put another way, a minutes recharge time would require 138A and therefore 138 / 8.24 = 16.74A
Where am I going wrong here
Perhaps in assuming 100% recharge. If it was only 50% discharged then charging at 10A gives about 8 minutes
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 04, 2008, 03:45 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Hi junsi - dangerous for what ? The charger or the hot-wire bow ?
Hi Tim,

It is normal to set the time limit in the product. If you set a certain time limit, the charger will stop work then automatically.

But if you set the time limit as "zero", you should wait by its side until the batteries are fully charged and the process of charging can only stop by yourself.

Regards,

Junsi