Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Discussion
OH yeah!!..HERE COMES THE tax hikes

and im confident this is just the start :

Democrat House Passes Largest Tax Hike in History before Recess
* Raises the current "10 percent tax bracket" to 15 percent. This would increase the burden on all American taxpayers, especially the lowest income earners.
* Implements an across-the-board increase on marginal income tax rates.
* Reinstates the marriage penalty. Approximately 23 million married couples would be affected.
* Slashes the $1,000 per-child tax credit in half.
* Increases the tax on dividends, which often supplement the income of senior citizens relying on Social Security.
* Reinstates the death tax, which is considered the largest impediment to transferring family-owned businesses from one generation to the next.

http://www.cantorforcongress.com/blog/?p=101

I LOVE IT !!!!!!.....sure hope our politicians in congress/senate can vote themsleves another healthy pay raise when the time comes for them to vote on it.

the next several years or so, are gonna be a DOOOZEEYYYY.
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
It's not a sure thing yet.

Just a goal of the Demonic party.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:43 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Looks like Pelosi is just warming up for when she thinks the Dems will have a clean sweep of both houses and the presidency.

If you think it's risky to bend over now, well, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
Looks like Pelosi is just warming up for when she thinks the Dems will have a clean sweep of both houses and the presidency.

HF
Not likely to happen with the true peoples vote.

We've all seen that big bag of steam that they blow and the wages that they want to extract from any successful working family.
Not gonna sell to those in the know.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:17 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
The new "Boston Tea Party" grows ever closer.

There never should have been an income tax. Shouldn't be any property tax on homestead property. Should not have any tax on inheritance whatsoever.

Only federal tax this government should impose is federal sales tax. States should not have any rights to collect any income tax either, just sales/use tax. People should actually have freedom from government at all levels.

Keep your nose clean and go though life without ANY government interference is what I say.

Not enough money for government to spend? -- Then spend less! Cut the fat and shrink down to manageable size. Every non-governmental, non-monopoly based business I have ever heard of has to, to keep going, and so should all these Napoleon wannabes and *their* concepts of government.

I firmly believe we have the best nation, best people around, but man do we have an evil and corrupted monarchical system and people running the show. Worst part is, if it were possible to put in "good" people, they would soon fall pray to, or be converted to, what evil is already in power.

Does anyone else who saw Jericho last night see any similarity with the our current federal government and the Allied States of America of that show. I don't know how intended this similarity was meant to be, but I do know that more then a few of us don't care for how much our government bends and bows to the whims and wishes of the powerful and big business. There is no doubt we all have some vested interest in how well big business does, but we shouldn't be regulated as a people to do the bidding for big business and it's interest. We should not be strangled by our government to supports it's corrupted goals either. I fear that this has been the case for along time, and is these past few years been growing dramatically worse as time moves on. Enough so, that now most everyone of us can see and feel it's grip.

BTW - If you haven't been watching Jericho, here's a link to their website where you can view both season 1 and 2 in their entirety. Great show. I'd watch them in sequence from the first show of season 1 to get the whole plot and story line.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:25 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Tax hikes? How else are we going to pay for the 5 year party in Iraq. Anyone who supports the war can't complain about tax hikes. The credit bill comes due at some point, and with the Republican's stance on the Iraq occupation, the bills will be piling up for decades to come.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Tax hikes? How else are we going to pay for the 5 year party in Iraq. Anyone who supports the war can't complain about tax hikes. The credit bill comes due at some point, and with the Republican's stance on the Iraq occupation, the bills will be piling up for decades to come.
Some of that will surely come from the benefit of a stable Iraq in many ways.
reliable oil supply,(that benefits the common people more so than the militia) reduced cost in reining in the aggressions of Iran etc.
Winning is all good for us and for them.
Making it happen it not as far away as it was say six years ago.
This can really work.
Iran will fall in of their own accord if it all goes well.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:42 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamar
The new "Boston Tea Party" grows ever closer.

There never should have been an income tax. Shouldn't be any property tax on homestead property. Should not have any tax on inheritance whatsoever.

Only federal tax this government should impose is federal sales tax. States should not have any rights to collect any income tax either, just sales/use tax. People should actually have freedom from government at all levels.

Keep your nose clean and go though life without ANY government interference is what I say.

Not enough money for government to spend? -- Then spend less! Cut the fat and shrink down to manageable size. Every non-governmental, non-monopoly based business I have ever heard of has to, to keep going, and so should all these Napoleon wannabes and *their* concepts of government.

I firmly believe we have the best nation, best people around, but man do we have an evil and corrupted monarchical system and people running the show. Worst part is, if it were possible to put in "good" people, they would soon fall pray to, or be converted to, what evil is already in power.

Does anyone else who saw Jericho last night see any similarity with the our current federal government and the Allied States of America of that show. I don't know how intended this similarity was meant to be, but I do know that more then a few of us don't care for how much our government bends and bows to the whims and wishes of the powerful and big business. There is no doubt we all have some vested interest in how well big business does, but we shouldn't be regulated as a people to do the bidding for big business and it's interest. We should not be strangled by our government to supports it's corrupted goals either. I fear that this has been the case for along time, and is these past few years been growing dramatically worse as time moves on. Enough so, that now most everyone of us can see and feel it's grip.

BTW - If you haven't been watching Jericho, here's a link to their website where you can view both season 1 and 2 in their entirety. Great show. I'd watch them in sequence from the first show of season 1 to get the whole plot and story line.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/

-Rodger
I love Jericho, but a federal sales tax is the least "Fair" scheme of generating revenue for the Government. Sales tax is purely regressive, insuring that those who enjoy the largest rewards from Government expenditures will also be paying the lowest portion of their earnings to fund them.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:49 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Some of what? Officials in the Bush Administration claimed the war was supposed to have been paying for itself already. We're too far behind the curve to even make up what we've already spent let alone future expenditures. We took out an interest only loan to finance the war and our ARM is maturing soon, if it hasn't already.

Don't lump Iran in with the current costs. We've just about handed Iraq to Iran on a silver platter. No amount of money will undo that. Iran will only be stronger for it, not weaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker
Some of that will surely come from the benefit of a stable Iraq in many ways.
reliable oil supply,(that benefits the common people more so than the militia) reduced cost in reining in the aggressions of Iran etc.
Winning is all good for us and for them.
Making it happen it not as far away as it was say six years ago.
This can really work.
Iran will fall in of their own accord if it all goes well.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:53 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
That's just great. Our household finally gets back to the point where we are finally dialed in after many recent changes, to put some $$ away on a regular basis for the future, take care of the kidlet and do OK, and now they're going to nail us again.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:56 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Some of what? Officials in the Bush Administration claimed the war was supposed to have been paying for itself already.
I never heard that, so I'd appreciate some solid links where Bush Administration officials said that "the war was going to pay for itself".

It's been the Left that accuses Bush for going to war "for the oil", but I don't recall any Bush representitive of even suggesting that the war would pay for itself.

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:12 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
I never heard that, so I'd appreciate some solid links where Bush Administration officials said that "the war was going to pay for itself".

It's been the Left that accuses Bush for going to war "for the oil", but I don't recall any Bush representitive of even suggesting that the war would pay for itself.

HF
Perhaps that is because you weren't paying attention?

"The likely economic effects [of a war in Iraq] would be relatively small.... Under every plausible scenario, the negative effect will be quite small relative to the economic benefits."

Lawrence Lindsey
White House economic adviser
September 16, 2002

"Iraq has tremendous resources that belong to the Iraqi people. And so there are a variety of means that Iraq has to be able to shoulder much of the burden for their own reconstruction."

Ari Fleischer
White House press secretary
February 18, 2003

"When it comes to reconstruction, before we turn to the American taxpayer, we will turn first to the resources of the Iraqi government and the international community."

Donald Rumsfeld
Secretary of Defense
March 27, 2003

"There is a lot of money to pay for this that doesn't have to be US taxpayer money, and it starts with the assets of the Iraqi people. We are talking about a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon."

Paul Wolfowitz
Deputy Secretary of Defense
testifying before the defense subcommittee
of the House Appropriations Committee
March 27, 2003

Plenty more where they came from.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:19 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Amnesia of convenience

Q Back on the cost issue. If the U.S. does not get a second resolution, does the President believe that U.S. taxpayers will disproportionately bear the burden of the reconstruction costs in Iraq?

MR. FLEISCHER: Well, the reconstruction costs remain a very -- an issue for the future. And Iraq, unlike Afghanistan, is a rather wealthy country. Iraq has tremendous resources that belong to the Iraqi people. And so there are a variety of means that Iraq has to be able to shoulder much of the burden for their own reconstruction.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0030218-4.html

Just in the time it took for me to write this we gave $15K to the Iraqi Insurgents.

Quote:

HF
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:21 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:

HF
Then you have a very short memory (*surprise*!). The increased oil revenue was going to pay for the whole thing. Amazing you'd forget that.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:34 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,043 Posts
Looks like a semantic debate to me. Only one of these addresses the war cost. The rest address the "reconstruction" cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
Perhaps that is because you weren't paying attention?

"The likely economic effects [of a war in Iraq] would be relatively small.... Under every plausible scenario, the negative effect will be quite small relative to the economic benefits."

Lawrence Lindsey
White House economic adviser
September 16, 2002

"Iraq has tremendous resources that belong to the Iraqi people. And so there are a variety of means that Iraq has to be able to shoulder much of the burden for their own reconstruction."

Ari Fleischer
White House press secretary
February 18, 2003

"When it comes to reconstruction, before we turn to the American taxpayer, we will turn first to the resources of the Iraqi government and the international community."

Donald Rumsfeld
Secretary of Defense
March 27, 2003

"There is a lot of money to pay for this that doesn't have to be US taxpayer money, and it starts with the assets of the Iraqi people. We are talking about a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon."

Paul Wolfowitz
Deputy Secretary of Defense
testifying before the defense subcommittee
of the House Appropriations Committee
March 27, 2003

Plenty more where they came from.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme