HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2003, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
What's the best color scheme for visibility?

Rotor top:
Rotor bottom:
canopy left:
canopy right:
canopy bottom:
boom:
fin:
tail rotor:

My Voyager currently has alternating red and white 2" bands on the top of the rotor. It doesn't help all that much when up to speed. The canopy is yellow and black and the boom is stock black.

Hank
HankF is offline Find More Posts by HankF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2003, 06:58 PM
Joined Feb 2002
88 Posts
Try a strip of Dayglo red or orange film trim on the outside only of each landing skid. I find this gives good visual indication of which way the heli is banking, even at a distance. If the Dayglo coloured skid appears to be below the plain slid, the heli is banking towards you, if the Dayglo coloured skid is higher than the plain skid, the heli is banking away from you. It works for me anyway !
Mark Simmonds is offline Find More Posts by Mark Simmonds
Old Jan 11, 2003, 02:11 AM
Joined Dec 2002
17 Posts
Mark -
I really like the dayglo colors on the skids idea, think I'll try it on my machine.

Hank -
A dark windshield area along with white and bright orange are my choices for prime visibility. No small patterns, for instance put the white on the bottom and the orange on top. I leave the rotor in its natural color. There is a "persistance of memory"
that is useful for staying oriented with your heli. If you remember the last commands you gave your heli, you can more easily determine its present orientation, instead of trying to fly it on moment-to-moment visual cues alone. At least that is my opinion.
Whirly
whirly is offline Find More Posts by whirly