HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hampshire, England
Joined Jan 2008
67 Posts
Question
Honeybee FP - Brushless Conversion

Hi All.

Would this motor be too much power for the Honeybee FP.

Mystery RC 5000 Outrunner Brushless Motor and 30A ESC

I was either going to open the RX and do the mod - or buy the HDX convertor. - which is best?

Neil
SirToU is offline Find More Posts by SirToU
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:48 PM
Better off Modified!
Colorado
Joined Sep 2006
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirToU
Hi All.

Would this motor be too much power for the Honeybee FP.

Mystery RC 5000 Outrunner Brushless Motor and 30A ESC

I was either going to open the RX and do the mod - or buy the HDX convertor. - which is best?

Neil
That's a pretty heavy setup for a FP.

Are you using the stock TX?

If so, I would recommend the ARC 80 from LightFlightRC, Phoenix 10 ESC w/ 10T RS4 steel pinion. More power than stock, lighter and longer run time. I've used this setup on several FP's with good results.

FWIW, do the RX mod, the converter is unneeded complexity.
Tweekster is offline Find More Posts by Tweekster
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hampshire, England
Joined Jan 2008
67 Posts
Thanks - Ordered an equivilant Brushless Motor and ESC, and will mod the 4 in 1.

Do you know anywhere, where there are pictures to Mod the 4 in 1 - or is it a simple case of matching colours - "paint by numbers style".

Thanks.

Neil
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:48 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweekster
That's a pretty heavy setup for a FP.

If so, I would recommend the ARC 80 from LightFlightRC, Phoenix 10 ESC w/ 10T RS4 steel pinion. More power than stock, lighter and longer run time. I've used this setup on several FP's with good results.

Would that be this motor?:
ARC-20-27-80
ARC 80 watt brushless motor
Kv: 4500, io: 0.57A (8V), Rm: 100 (mOhms)
Weight: 29g
2mm Shaft
Dimensions: 20mm x 27mm (w/o shaft)

Also, why the Phoenix esc instead of the Suppo 10A ESC that they sell along with the motor? Just trying to sort out all the zillions of brushless/esc/pinion combos and get it right the first time.
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:06 PM
Southeast PA
Joined Oct 2005
2,805 Posts
Instead of playing "Catch-up" to a stock HBFP,,,,, Why don't you look into spending your money on the CompyFP and get the most bang for your buck?
Vario3 is offline Find More Posts by Vario3
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:46 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vario3
Instead of playing "Catch-up" to a stock HBFP,,,,, Why don't you look into spending your money on the CompyFP and get the most bang for your buck?
Yah true dat. You will stop wearing out main motors with this setup but you will continue to burn up tail motors which after time will become a huge drag.
maarset is offline Find More Posts by maarset
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:55 PM
Bartlett, IL
Joined Jun 2002
450 Posts
Please keep us updated on how this brushless upgrade goes. I have had several FP helis and I am not sure the benefit of going brushless. The stock motor lasts a very long time as well as the tail motor on 2 cell lipos. Also with a fixed pitch heli, I am thinking that you can only have so much headspeed before making the heli unflyable, negating the brushless advantage. Hope it works.
stamper is offline Find More Posts by stamper
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hampshire, England
Joined Jan 2008
67 Posts
Thanks to all.

to answer a couple of the statements. Firstly, Esky parts are 10 a penny in the Uk and "everywhere" at the moment - Makes life easy to replace broken bits, as I have only been flying for 2.5 months (from scratch - no airplanes - nada) and I have kept the local hobby store in business.

I like tinkering, and want to build something - that I already have taken apart, but with upgrades before I start learning to fly the Belt CP I have.

But I looked at the compy and it looks pretty good, but I am desparate to get into flying CP and 3d. -Just because- + reliving my childhood by building a Airwolf replica.

The brushless upgrade I am doing is to try and counteract the additional Lexan Airwolf Body, but staying with FP at the moment.

When I do finally get to fly properly and build a good heli, I already have my eyes set on a 5 Bladed EP100 flybar less, with a scale Seaking Shell. with working winch set up.

I know I'm just a dreamer - but dreamers make the world go round!

thanks again - Neil
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
Southeast PA
Joined Oct 2005
2,805 Posts
Quote:
The brushless upgrade I am doing is to try and counteract the additional Lexan Airwolf Body, but staying with FP at the moment.

When I do finally get to fly properly and build a good heli, I already have my eyes set on a 5 Bladed EP100 flybar less, with a scale Seaking Shell. with working winch set up.

I know I'm just a dreamer - but dreamers make the world go round!

thanks again - Neil

Congrats!! Big dreams = Big results!!! Good luck and keep us posted of the StockFP/brushless idea!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:53 PM
Southeast PA
Joined Oct 2005
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Weight will do you in at this time.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:33 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Whaaww...!
I'm looking at one of those too, but a little larger to fit a Compy. I'll be going for the MD500 look. Scale-ish is just way too cool!

Have fun!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:36 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
i also have been thinking of the BL route...i don't want to keep replacing brush motors every month and a half...i've worn out 2 so far and about to wear my third i get 30~40 hrs of flying time per month...

and im only using 2s lipos...though i have a couple of 3s 800mah if i use that i'll wear the stockers even faster like 1 motor a month!! at about $10 per replacement thats $120 a year..ouch!!

BL almost last a lifetime if you don't overheat them or wear the bearings out w/c is unlikely on this heli...

money and performance wise i thinks an ARC 80 watt would be better for me i'll try Tweekster advice and see how that goes

Thanks
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:38 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,983 Posts
With the BL main you will need either a Direct drive Tail motor OR a dual setup yr choice. Also using a pair of M24 blades will add significant stability to flying.
After having "been there an made all the mistakes"
I suggest one learns to fly the thing ..Before ...Modding, as it is a Detour with little profit Untill flying skills warrant the upgrades. But as yr seemingly committed to it at least do the ones that will keep it flyable ..and a BL main with the Stock tail drive imo will Not.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:17 AM
Hampshire, England
Joined Jan 2008
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
With the BL main you will need either a Direct drive Tail motor OR a dual setup yr choice. Also using a pair of M24 blades will add significant stability to flying.
After having "been there an made all the mistakes"
I suggest one learns to fly the thing ..Before ...Modding, as it is a Detour with little profit Untill flying skills warrant the upgrades. But as yr seemingly committed to it at least do the ones that will keep it flyable ..and a BL main with the Stock tail drive imo will Not.
Fair comments, looks like a dual tail then.... :-)

Neil
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:16 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweekster

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the usage of the Phoenix ESC versus the much cheaper Suppo unit they sell? Also, where would one find the "Rx mod" instructions? I'm not looking for more power as the stock setup flies just fine for my usage. I'm all for longer laster motors and longer run time if at all possible...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70