HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:28 AM
Moraga, Ca
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
Contest
Kit/Plan Fun Build-Rake Bristol Scout-and a big Thank You

I'm an old (literally!) free flight modeler from the 50's and early 60's and haven't built anything since other than little rubber and gliders for the kids. I even gave away the accumulation of 50 years worth of "stuff". About a year and a half ago I bought an Aero Ace for my grandkids and was fascinated by the technology. I found this site and was/am inspired by the impressive craftsmanship. I felt like Rip Van Winkle with all the new methods! I especially appreciate Peter Rake's work-Maybe now I can build (and fly) the Biplanes I loved but that I used to destroy with great regularity. Randy at MAE helped me set up the power on a Pico Stik and answered a hundred dumb questions.
I destroyed two of them before parking the remnants in a tall tree. Meanwhile I tried to bulid Mike Molt's DuskStick using modern methods. Clued parts to my fingers, parts in crooked, and stuck lite-span top to bottom on the tail! Even though my fingers still aren't connected to my brain, I can fly the thing-but not through basketball poles! Enough. I want to thank everyone on this Board. Not just for tecniques but for the inspiration. I figured I needed to quit lurking and step up!
There have been a couple of beautiful builds of this model-I thought I'd try to show the mistakes I've made so far. Maybe some else can learn from the dumb side. I'll try to post pics and explain-
Bkarr is offline Find More Posts by Bkarr
Last edited by Bkarr; Mar 24, 2008 at 10:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:05 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,364 Posts
Please do post your stuff.

A lot of the stuff I learn is from folks who are struggling though a build. Must be because I learn more from my mistakes than from the random success.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:11 AM
Joined Sep 2005
674 Posts
Welcome aboard! This is the greatest bunch of folks on earth w/ a wealth of knowledge & share it all the time.
ENJOY your re-birth into modeldom. :-)

Best wishes,
Dale
Ascolta is offline Find More Posts by Ascolta
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:19 AM
Moraga, Ca
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
As soon as I can figure how to upload pics I'll add them-I'm also tech challenged!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:30 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,509 Posts
Welcome to Rcgroups! You made a great choice with a Peter Rake design. I've built three of them so far.

To post a picture: First make a note of the folder that contains your pictures. Then, when creating a new reply, click on the "Manage Attachments" button. In the next window, click on a "Browse" button, then go to the folder that contains the picture and choose it.

I know computers and technology can be frustrating. Don't let this be too much of a hindrance! You'll find lots of willing members here so don't be afraid to ask.

As far as gluing your fingers together... CA glue is really not necessary! I avoid it when possible. I like working with the old cements just fine, even better actually. Of course I still use CA glue too and other types as well.

Phil
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:49 AM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Welcome Bkarr, looking forward to your scout build, alot of good people here ,you'll do fine , I'm fudging through a Waco build my self, just had a waco wing follow me upstairs gotta love that CA

Glenn
shrub wacker is offline Find More Posts by shrub wacker
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:28 PM
Moraga, Ca
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
A quick summary of mistakes:
1.The wood for the tail and fuse stringers is too hard (and heavy)
2.The wood for the front end of the fuselage was too soft-too easy to make mistakes. I'm experimenting with stains for the top but the wood is so soft my trials don't look good-any thoughts?
3. The engineering on the front end was dumb. Also the engine sits a little lower than it should. I can see some hacking in my future.
4. I used spruce for wing LE and spars. Did this since I had no decent balsa.Didn't add much weight but a lot trickier to sand. I used birch for the 4 main fuselage longerons. If I wanted to beef up these in the future I'd use spruce.
Last edited by Bkarr; Mar 24, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 03:51 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Bkarr ,

Welcome , I've been anticipating your post since you had contacted me .

Great to see you post your results . Feel free to ask any questions . The guys here are a tremendous source of knowledge on this electric stuff . Glad to see you have rekindled your enjoyment for this great hobby . I've seen a bit of changes since I started out ( just prior to the brushless/lipo revolution )
I can only imagine how it is for you .

Looking forward to your progress

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Mar 24, 2008, 04:28 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,258 Posts
Yes, welcome indeed! I am a die-hard freeflighter, who just happens to like r/c electric-oh yeah, and some control line stunt! Have never owned an r/c gas job, probably never will. Taught myself to fly on an electric 3 channel and haven't looked back since.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:21 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,364 Posts
I've always used balsa for longerons on these kinds of planes. Has worked well. Even on the SRE where there are no stringers or sheeting, the four balsa sticks have held up to over 160 flights and I don't know how many landings.

The motor mounts can be tricky. I messed up the Camel twice while building. I am also not a fan of stick mounting. I'd rather have a firewall mount for any of my motors. Mainly because I can mount it flat to the fuse/formers and get down and right with washers.

good luck
charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:32 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Charlie ,
I agree . The stick mounts are great in foam , but on balsa builds I prefer ( and sometimes switch to ) firewall mounted . Besides I have very few geared motors left to use ,that have stick mounts ...All my recent motors are outrunner types.

Broke a stick mount in my MM Cessna once ...what a pain trying to replace it
-John
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:38 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
I'll add my welcome too, Bkarr. This is the best aeromodelling site on the web and the one that turned this former glow/diesel flyer into a dedicated 'leccy fan!

Look forward to seeing your finished Scout - only way to learn anything is to have a go at it and the advice available here is worth it's weight in gold, never be afraid to ask because someone, somewhere will have an answer.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:07 PM
Moraga, Ca
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
I agree with both your comments on the stick mount. I went this way since I had the motor-but more important,since I'm still shaky on the whole volts/amps/watts calcs, Ithought it would be simpler. Next time I'll make a guess of a couple of options and go with the Boards input.
I did pull out and look at the old Baby Spitfire 045 but ruled out a return to the dark side!

Bill
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:34 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Bill ,

Forgot to ask . What type of covering are you planning on ? , and have you chose a paint scheme ?

-John
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:37 PM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

I continue to use stick mounts on both foam and balsa models. The problem with using it with balsa models is maintaining the correct down and right thrust angles at the same time when the stick is hanging out in nothingness.

A little trick I learned somewhere on this forum is to make a light balsa plate extending about 1/3 the length of the motor stick for the motor stick to rest on. It is important that this is about the correct motor stick height, or a little lower but at the correct down thrust angle. The motor stick can be adjusted for height with a little packing and then the correct side thrust factored in. Tack glue and when you are happy with the results lock it up with gussets to the fire wall as usual. The important point is that you are only dealing with one variable at a time.

Its easier on the old brain and certainly the fumbelly fingers.

Good luck with the glue

John
brennanj2 is offline Find More Posts by brennanj2