SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2009, 02:29 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,971 Posts
Richard,
What ESC and battery did you use in your J-10? I'm about to start building mine. Oh and what CG worked best for you guys?

Is this have a full flying canard or elevons? Also, who is the U.S. dinstributor for Haoye? Thanx

Kyle
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Last edited by gromitvt10; Mar 02, 2009 at 03:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:19 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Hi Kyle

I don't think I ever figure out where the CG should be, maybe because there were too many variables, the canard was a full flying canard, which was a variable, the nuetral incident angle of the canard was something I kept messing with, the amount of reflex needed for level flight was another then the CG as well.
I do know that if you keep moving the CG back a little at a time, there will be a tipping point where it will become so unstable that you will be very lucky if you get it down in one piece. then move the CG back the other way.
One of these days, I'm going to dust it off and work on that some more.
Sorry to not be of too much help.
Maybe you can find out and tell us.

I used a 3s 2100 thunder power battery, and I'm not sure which ESC I have in it.

The 3s 2100 20C battery gets pretty hot after about 3 minutes so thats about how long I would keep it in the air. Perhaps if the CG was optimized, I wouldn't need so much throttle.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10
Richard,
What ESC and battery did you use in your J-10? I'm about to start building mine. Oh and what CG worked best for you guys?

Is this have a full flying canard or elevons? Also, who is the U.S. dinstributor for Haoye? Thanx

Kyle
Richard Evans is offline Find More Posts by Richard Evans
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:10 AM
j0e
Greece, Peloponnisos Dytiki Ellada ke Ionio, Patra
Joined Mar 2009
167 Posts
Do you guys think this would be a difficult first edf plane? My experience is a gws estarter and a gws formoza ii (brushless setup on both of them).

j0e
j0e is offline Find More Posts by j0e
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:19 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,389 Posts
Yes, I think it is a difficult first EDF. I would advise the Phase 3 F-16 as a first EDF and then when you've mastered that come back to the J-10. It's worth it.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
j0e
Joined Mar 2009
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit
Yes, I think it is a difficult first EDF. I would advise the Phase 3 F-16 as a first EDF and then when you've mastered that come back to the J-10. It's worth it.
Is this edf difficult because it is a very fast one or unstable?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:55 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,389 Posts
It can be difficult to hand launch especially on the stock power system. It's harder to fly in the turns. Bank to far and it'll roll on it's back in a snap and can be difficult to recover. It takes experience to fly it slow (full elevator and balance on power). Difficult to fly slow enough on landing so you don't cruch the intake. It has canards and in combination with the elevons they must be setup carefully.

I don't want to scare you off it altogether. It's one of the best foamie jets around but I think it's more for the experienced foamie EDF pilot. That being said I'm only talking about learning how to fly something a little simpler. Maybe a mate could let you fly a more traditional EDF jet before you fly this. I'm sure someone else will chip in and tell you to go for it. Just my 2c

As well as the Phase 3 F-16 I recommend the Multiplex Twister but it's not as aerobatic as the F-16 BUT it is more durable. A lot lot more.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:07 AM
j0e
Joined Mar 2009
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit
It can be difficult to hand launch especially on the stock power system. It's harder to fly in the turns. Bank to far and it'll roll on it's back in a snap and can be difficult to recover. It takes experience to fly it slow (full elevator and balance on power). Difficult to fly slow enough on landing so you don't cruch the intake. It has canards and in combination with the elevons they must be setup carefully.

I don't want to scare you off it altogether. It's one of the best foamie jets around but I think it's more for the experienced foamie EDF pilot. That being said I'm only talking about learning how to fly something a little simpler. Maybe a mate could let you fly a more traditional EDF jet before you fly this. I'm sure someone else will chip in and tell you to go for it. Just my 2c

As well as the Phase 3 F-16 I recommend the Multiplex Twister but it's not as aerobatic as the F-16 BUT it is more durable. A lot lot more.
Thanks for the info, i understand that this may not be the best edf trainer but i love the way it looks and seems to be a good solid edf foam with strong wheels and in a price of less than 100$ without shipping cost i feel i cant resist. This plane is a temptation!!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:41 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
j0e-- Not busting your chops here but why did you bother asking for advice when you weren't going to listen to it if it wasn't what you wanted to hear? Ditchit is very experienced. I have the GWS J-10 it's a beautiful plane but it's hard to fly. Mine's first one is destroyed and I have decades of experience and have been flying EDF for a couple of years. They're fast and sensitive and get into trouble quickly. Get the F-16 that Ditchit mentioned. I don't have one but it is reputed to be about the best performing EDF in STOCK form and it looks good too.

Pass on the Haoye J-10 for now. You'll be able to find one later on if you still want it. (The GWS version is a better looking plane anyway and cheaper too in NPS form).
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:12 AM
j0e
Joined Mar 2009
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
j0e-- Not busting your chops here but why did you bother asking for advice when you weren't going to listen to it if it wasn't what you wanted to hear? Ditchit is very experienced. I have the GWS J-10 it's a beautiful plane but it's hard to fly. Mine's first one is destroyed and I have decades of experience and have been flying EDF for a couple of years. They're fast and sensitive and get into trouble quickly. Get the F-16 that Ditchit mentioned. I don't have one but it is reputed to be about the best performing EDF in STOCK form and it looks good too.

Pass on the Haoye J-10 for now. You'll be able to find one later on if you still want it. (The GWS version is a better looking plane anyway and cheaper too in NPS form).
I didnt say that i won't listen. I just want to be sure on which plane i am going to buy. It is clear to me that this shouldnt be my first edf. EP f - 16 is a nice plane but i want something with wheels for take off - and landing. Any other suggestion about an edf that could be the previous step from J -10?

regards, j0e
Old Mar 29, 2009, 01:33 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
EDO F-15, GWS A4, Sapac Typhoon. All fly great if kept reasonably light. The EDO is the easiest to fly of the three I mentioned. It flies great on pretty low power. I flyone on about 300w. I have a ARC 28-47-1 in a 6904 70mm fan on 3s and it's fast bit it slows down too for landing. There are a lot of choices these days butthe J-10's aren't that great a place to start.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:45 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
J10 assembly

Another thing I havn't seen mentioned here is that this J10 is nearly impossible to build. you nearly have to be a three handed magician to do it,

and when you are done, you will not have a clean duct.

however, when successful in some flight modes it flys amazing and can be a lot of fun.

Richard
Richard Evans is offline Find More Posts by Richard Evans
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hub City, TN
Joined Jan 2008
548 Posts
How many pieces is the fuselage in? This pic makes it look like two halves.
bhatch21 is offline Find More Posts by bhatch21
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:22 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
Hmmm... If I remember correctly...
Well, I KNOW the fuse came in two halves, then there was the nose cone, tail pipe, vertical stab. and canopy.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:17 AM
j0e
Joined Mar 2009
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Evans
Another thing I havn't seen mentioned here is that this J10 is nearly impossible to build. you nearly have to be a three handed magician to do it,

and when you are done, you will not have a clean duct.

however, when successful in some flight modes it flys amazing and can be a lot of fun.

Richard

Ok guys, i am now convinced that this wont be my first edf. Do you think Art tech Eurofighter Typhoon will be a good step before this one?

j0e
Old Apr 01, 2009, 08:23 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
No do the sapac eurofighter or Gripen!!!!
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin