HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2008, 06:39 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
Hahaha, thanks for the compliments.
Yep yep, Maiden went off without a hitch! Man that thing is FAST!
As already stated, it was flown with elevons only (no canard). CG was spot on about 2 inches in front of the landing gear mount. Only a minimal amount of reflex was needed. Just gotta know how to setup flying wings I guess
Here's some pics! Enjoy!

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:09 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
video please!
darkside212 is offline Find More Posts by darkside212
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:31 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
Darkside,
Sorry man, I only got like, 2 seconds of video!!! I think it was a combonation of my camera going out of focus (flew near the sun after launch) and the fact that I forgot to take off my POLARIZED sunglasses... not even worth posting; it got deleted.
Hopefully Joe can get us some good video sometime when he flies it next!
He did a great job with the maiden!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:41 PM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
721 Posts
J-10

Dave and I plan to do Video next trip out so look for video next weekend.

Joe
hondaboy92hatch is offline Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:30 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Congrats on the great maiden

When you say 2 inches in front of the landing gear mount, do you mean 2 inches measured from the front edge of the recessed area for the main gear mount?

Thanks, (mine is only about 1/2 inch from that edge.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller
Hahaha, thanks for the compliments.
Yep yep, Maiden went off without a hitch! Man that thing is FAST!
As already stated, it was flown with elevons only (no canard). CG was spot on about 2 inches in front of the landing gear mount. Only a minimal amount of reflex was needed. Just gotta know how to setup flying wings I guess
Here's some pics! Enjoy!

Vic
Richard Evans is offline Find More Posts by Richard Evans
Last edited by Richard Evans; Apr 20, 2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:33 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Evans
Congrats on the great maiden
When you say 2 inches in front of the landing gear mount, do you mean 2 inches measured from the front edge of the recessed area for the main gear mount?
Well the credit for the maiden has to go to Joe, but yes approx. 2 inches from the front edge of the recessed area.

Joe, when you get the chance can you get us a more accurate measurement?

Vic
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Hi Dakrat
Thanks for the link.
I have mine right, but at least that video confirms it, I have had a difficult time getting mine to fly like I want it too, but it is starting to get close.

After turning off my canard mix, and re doing my reflex for level flight, I had to adjust my offset for nuetral canard, and now it does fly some better. I still think I need to move the CG more forward to get it completely right.

The trouble with that is with the gear placement, it is going to be hard to get it into the air off the grass field I use.

anyway this model is a challenge and Keeps me interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat
Hey Richard,
I don't have the J-10 but I built a canard plane called the X-41. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=779331&page=9
Well when I went to maiden her, she was running out of elevator authority. I move the battery around hunting the CG. Then I remixed the Canards and Elveron so that I could turn them on and off. The next flight the plane had plenty of elevator, flipped the switch and she started to dive and lose authority again.
Turns out that I had my canard setup backwards, quick flick of the switch fixes it! So I would turn off the canard, hunt for your CG, then start mucking around with the canard. One thing at a time! Then you can be Sir Mixalot!
See the video on setup from the link above, it is at the bottom of that page.
Dak...
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:11 PM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
721 Posts
cg

2 inches seems right and the plane balances slightly nose heavy. I can't wait to fly this great jet again.
hondaboy92hatch is offline Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Old Apr 21, 2008, 09:37 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
There is 3 positions for the EDF unit, I got mine closest to the nose.

I had to make some additional supports for the canard and for the wings. Definetly not a beginner kit.

Pics look good guys, I will have mine ready hopefully for next weekend. Maybe take it to SEFF if maiden is OK.

Dan
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Last edited by supi7; Apr 28, 2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 07:40 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Interesting Flight this morning

This is just a short story of my day, if anyone in interested.

Sometimes I take my J10 to work, and I pass an industrial park that isn't fully developed yet, there is a road about 3/4 of mile long that dead ends and has nothing but fields and a few trees on each side.

If I'm running early enough I can get a test flight or two in before I have to get to work.

One day last week, I went to stopped by there and there was a police car parked way down near the dead end where I usually fly, I don't know why but I decided not to turn down that way and went on to work. I guess I thought I would surprize him and he would really wonder why anyone would be coming down towards him on a road that goes nowhere.

So this morning at about 7 AM, there he was, I really wanted to fly so I said heck, whats he going to do, I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm just flying a chinese fighter model, so I went down the road towards him.

I went slowly past him and as I passed, I noticed he didn't even look at me. He had a female in the passenger seat. I have no idea what he was doing. I went to the end and turned around, parked about 100 feet behind him, and got out of the car and got the J10 out and the radio and connected the battery.
About that time, I heard him crank up the car and I looked expecting to see him back up to where I was to see what I was doing.

No, he wasn't interested in what I was doing, he was just leaving, so I had the road (my private 3/4 mile runway) to myself.

Well, it was very windy with a direct crosswind. As I accelerated to takeoff speed, the wind was blowing the J10 to the right towards two trees that were on the side of the road. Full left rudder did not help and I was committed because the curb was coming up, so I pulled up almost straight up to try to miss the trees.

On the first tree I was lucky, went through some leaves with no problem, but on the second tree I hit a branch pretty hard with the right wing.

Thanks to the delta shape of the wing, It managed to make a glancing blow, and came out of the top of the tree into clean air, and had just enough momentum that I was able to recover and stay airborn. I saw something fly off, but wasn't sure what. It was still flying fine.

I flew for a couple of minutes making approachs, but with the crosswind it was a little dicy trying to get lined up. On the third approach I put it down and it rolled right to my feet.

I did notice some leaves tangled in the nose gear and there was a 1.5 inch triangular chunk of foam gone from the leading edge of the right wing.

I went and searched around the tree until I found the peice, so I can glue it back in place.

Pretty successful flight I would say, end of story.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
check out this full scale tree strike

http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...Content=165351

at 2:28

Dan
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:09 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Just finished building my J-10 a few minutes ago, still need to install RX and set up everything.

It has a functional canard with landing gear and a bit of reflex to the ailerons like you guys suggested. Stock EDF/motor.

I had to make some stuff up as I went along with the build, but it turnd out pretty well.

J-10 comes in at 22oz without battery.

Did anyone use a 4S pack on the stock motor?

Dan
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:16 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
I'd be tempted to try 4 cells if I could fit them.

I flew the J10 this weekend at the Austin Texas Warbirds event. It was cool, I had some other EDFs there, my Flyfly Hawk, F86 and a Sapac hawk. The J10 actually brought a few more interested enquirys than the other ones.
I guess the slow nose high landing looks pretty cool and one person commented that it looks much larger in the air then on the ground, and that it looks pretty cool flying.
Catch the event photos and see my Red Arrows also:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin_...7604769142575/

note that there are quite a few photos of the Red Arrows Hawk, they are all my FlyFly Hawk. The Second link is my entire "fleet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by supi7
Just finished building my J-10 a few minutes ago, still need to install RX and set up everything.

It has a functional canard with landing gear and a bit of reflex to the ailerons like you guys suggested. Stock EDF/motor.

I had to make some stuff up as I went along with the build, but it turnd out pretty well.

J-10 comes in at 22oz without battery.

Did anyone use a 4S pack on the stock motor?

Dan
Old May 09, 2008, 08:25 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Cheater hole

Well, I held off as long as I could, but I was still dissatisfied with climb rate and speed so I did it!
I cut a cheater hole.

I only got one quick flight with it that way, but performance was improved.

I will put 3 or 4 packs through it tommorow and should have a better idea of how much.

BTW, If any of your live anywhere near Austin, TX there will be a great event to go to there next weekend.
The Central Texas Jet Rally, I will fly my J10 there and some of my others.

See ya!
Old May 25, 2008, 10:17 AM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
I flew this once in 15mph winds at the Jet event in Austin, and it flew well.
Now though, It is mothballed as I have robbed the reciever for this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867835

Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Evans
Well, I held off as long as I could, but I was still dissatisfied with climb rate and speed so I did it!
I cut a cheater hole.

I only got one quick flight with it that way, but performance was improved.

I will put 3 or 4 packs through it tommorow and should have a better idea of how much.

BTW, If any of your live anywhere near Austin, TX there will be a great event to go to there next weekend.
The Central Texas Jet Rally, I will fly my J10 there and some of my others.

See ya!
Last edited by Richard Evans; May 26, 2008 at 09:40 PM.