HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2008, 06:41 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
The fan is difficult to fit, I had to do some work to get it to fit.
There are some grooves that line up with the ring flanges on the fan housing.
they might be deep enough, I don't know, I routed them some more and my fan still didn't fit. Then I realized what was interfering was the valleys between the grooves. I applied pressure with my thumb, all the way around each of the valleys basically compressing the foam. I kept compressing the foam and kept refitting the halves together until they would meet.
I finally got the halves to fit together nicely. Once I got everything in each half mounted, glued in place and was finally ready to put the halves together, I used low temperature hot glue and applied it liberally to the outer fan housing as the first part to go together. I worked the halves together from the back to the front. There is just enought flexibilty that you can run a bead of hotglue into the seam and then close the seam without doing it all at once.
the tail section ends up feeling pretty solid.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, it wasn't easy. Maybe future generations of this will have things worked out a little better.

I wish I could have flown mine today, but it was too windy. My next flight will be with quite a bit of up elevator trim.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE
Yeah , seen it.........The Chinese always seem to get something wrong , these are at least better than what some got , just the small exploded drawing , in some products the quality control is good , but they STILL get it wrong
The fan unit on mine wont fit , the fuse halves wont come together , so I have to try and sand the foam away some how till it does , dont know what else I'll find as I get thru it..anyone else found anything ???
My other pet hate is thread and nut forming ...the nuts are ALWAYS loose and strip if you tighten a bit past finger tight...I have substituted nylock nuts if I can find the right ones...
Richard Evans is offline Find More Posts by Richard Evans
Last edited by Richard Evans; Mar 30, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:16 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Richard were there any other 'difficult' areas ??

and did you have to balance the fan??

Ian......... Down Under
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Apr 01, 2008, 06:53 AM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
No balance neccesary.
The fan is great!
Thanks for the docs
Old Apr 01, 2008, 04:37 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
getting it dialed in

I test flew it again this morning with more up elevator trim. It helped but it still wasn't enough. I landed and put some more in. Now we are getting there. It now flys pretty good. I will post some more info, but probably won't have time until tommorow.

Richard
Last edited by Richard Evans; Apr 04, 2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 09:01 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Flying good!

After quite a few test flights and adjustments, I have the J10 flying very nicely. I thought I would post some information here for others who might be building one.

You may have different results but this is what I have done to get it flying well.
the CG is 1/4 inch in front of the main gear mounting plate, in otherwords, the measure a 1/4 inch in front of front edge of the plastic piece that is glued into the recess. there is a panel line there.

then, using the elevon program the mechanical trim point needs quite a bit of up elevator just to fly level without nosing down. Look at the pictures to realize just how much!
I have elevator stick movement mixed to canard up/down
I will also play with mixing throttle stick as well so that when I reduce throttle, i will decrease the angle of attack of the canard.

I have noticed the canard "up" has a strong effect on reducing landing speed, it can really float in with enough up canard. In the photos I am attaching, the canard hasn't got quite as much "up" as I might like for landing, therefore the idea of adding "up" with reduced throttle.

This configuration shown in the pictures does result in a stable, good flying plane.

Sorry, I don't have measurements, couldn't find my ruler.

check the pictures.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 04:31 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Wow, how different from the GWS one in terms of the canards?! There is far more movement on the GWS one [they won't rotate without it]....interesting.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Apr 05, 2008, 08:39 AM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
I'm sure I can add a lot more travel to the canard, I have just started off conservatively. it does rotate fine though. I plan to work on this today along with adding throttle mix.

For someone building one, another thing I would recomend is epoxing the canards rather than just relying just on the plastic peices with the set screws. mine had slop until I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing
Wow, how different from the GWS one in terms of the canards?! There is far more movement on the GWS one [they won't rotate without it]....interesting.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 08:52 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
Richard,
I have a couple questions:

are you still mixing the canard with elevon?
With your current cg how is stability?
Do you think you can set the cg further back?

The jet looks GREAT!
darkside212 is offline Find More Posts by darkside212
Old Apr 05, 2008, 11:03 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Yes, I am still mixing the canards from elevon, I plan to add some mix from throttle but havn't done it yet. I am still trying to optimize, I flew 4 flights today and still havn't got it like I want it, although it sure can do some nice high angle of attack turns and can nearly hover to the ground. It does consume some wattage though, It's good that I have some strong 20c cells

Richard
Old Apr 06, 2008, 07:05 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing
The CG is further forward on the GWS one , which would be loading the canard more
It might be better with the CG a bit more arft..time will tell
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside212
Richard,
I have a couple questions:

are you still mixing the canard with elevon?
With your current cg how is stability?
Do you think you can set the cg further back?

The jet looks GREAT!
I forgot to respond to the question about moving the CG further back, no I've fully explored that, I still am not satisfied with the flight, seems to fly at a high angle of attack and when power back, even though the nose is high, it descends pretty quickly, no glide. I think I will start moving it forward again.

Richard
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:58 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
Richard,

have you considered your mixing to be the problem? It seems like a weird mix: canard mixed with elevons

maybe you should try running the canard as elevator and the ailerons as ailerons
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:59 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Evans
I forgot to respond to the question about moving the CG further back, no I've fully explored that, I still am not satisfied with the flight, seems to fly at a high angle of attack and when power back, even though the nose is high, it descends pretty quickly, no glide. I think I will start moving it forward again.

Richard

this sounds like it's in a stall
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside212
Richard,

have you considered your mixing to be the problem? It seems like a weird mix: canard mixed with elevons

maybe you should try running the canard as elevator and the ailerons as ailerons
Pretty much guarantee a crash that way. You import these, but have not flown one?

Richard, consider disconnecting the canards and fixing them for the moment, or removing them entirely if you can. The canards are just for additional maneuverability, and the plane should fly without them just fine, and it's one less adjustment to deal with for the moment.

"You may have different results but this is what I have done to get it flying well.
the CG is 1/4 inch in front of the main gear mounting plate, in otherwords, the measure a 1/4 inch in front of front edge of the plastic piece that is glued into the recess. there is a panel line there."

That sounds like a logical place for the CG, you probably have that right...

"then, using the elevon program the mechanical trim point needs quite a bit of up elevator just to fly level without nosing down. Look at the pictures to realize just how much!"

You are flying a delta, most of them require reflex(elevon up) to fly level, so that's not a surprise either...maybe taking the canards out of the equation for a bit and getting it happily trimmed first will help you out.
doppler1 is offline Find More Posts by doppler1
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:55 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
I do agree that taking the canards out is a better choice