SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:58 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
Hi Richard,
From the video it looks like you're really nose heavy, but the jet looks great I'd like to see it dialed in!
darkside212 is offline Find More Posts by darkside212
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:06 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
What are your thoughts on the landing gear? I personally think they're pretty cheesy
darkside212 is offline Find More Posts by darkside212
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:39 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Well, I was skeptical, being plastic, but they look scale, and could be painted and detailed. Actually this aircraft is pretty light with the three cell setup and is holding up great on a grass field. I think I like them.

one thing though, the main gear came with no backing plate to screw to, so a piece of plywood needs to be made to sandwich the foam, to get a good strong mounting method.

Was going to try to fly again this morning, but the wind was too high here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside212
What are your thoughts on the landing gear? I personally think they're pretty cheesy
Richard Evans is offline Find More Posts by Richard Evans
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:03 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
CG, not the problem

I flew again this morning before work, and it didn't go well.

Looking back, each time I moved the CG further back, the less up elevator I had to use to get level flight, but the futher back the CG goes, the more squirrly it seems fly. As in tail heavy!

With this mornings flight , I still had to hold some up elevator to keep it level, but it was unstable like it was tail heavy. It was porpoising badly and I smacked it down a little hard. Had to do some minor repair to the landing gear and intake, Hot glue is great. (back in good shape now)

I am now thinking the CG is not why it has been noseing down. It is something else.
I don't understand "reflex" but some of you have mentioned it, and I think I will now move the CG back forward to where it was stable, and begin using up elevator trim to see if I can get it to fly straight and level with enough trim.
then I will experiment with the canard offset. could it be the canard that is making it nose. Initially and mostly I have adjusted the canard so that it is at the same incident as the wing, too bad Haoye gives zero information about how to set this up correctly.

Richard
Old Mar 29, 2008, 05:52 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Sounds daft but why not hook the canards up to the rudder channel (because it's not used) and trim that in flight. Get it set correct then y lead the canards to the elevator on a mix for on and off.

Haoye have this habit of just not going that extra step in providing good instructions or setup guidance. There build instructions are always difficult to interpret even for a regular ARTF constructor.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Last edited by DominicM; Mar 29, 2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 01:04 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Hi Ditchit
Actually, I am using rudder channel for the nosewheel steering, but I do have an extra aux channel. I am using elevon setup with two servos so can't really use a y cable. I am using a mix to operate the canard, mixing elevator stick to the aux channel that the canard is connected two. I may be able to also mix the other aux channel to the first aux channel to let me trim it while in the air. I am, using a Spekrum DX7 so I will have to look.
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit
Sounds daft but why not hook the canards up to the rudder channel (because it's not used) and trim that in flight. Get it set correct then y lead the canards to the elevator on a mix for on and off.

Haoye have this habit of just not going that extra step in providing good instructions or setup guidance. There build instructions are always difficult to interpret even for a regular ARTF constructor.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 03:10 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
I fly most of my models on a DX7 as well so would be good to hear how you get it sorted. Good luck.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:39 PM
NeArLy NoRmAl Al
Concord New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2005
34 Posts
edit
Rednekk58 is offline Find More Posts by Rednekk58
Last edited by Rednekk58; Mar 29, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:43 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Richard , I got a DVD with mine , with a "build manual" and it shows the CG at 11 inches from the TRAILING EDGE measured at the wing root (T/E... easier to measure it this way)

I also would try adding angle to the canard in small steps

PM me your email addy and I'll send any of these files to you (dont know how to get em up on here or I would)
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:59 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
I've been doing some reading and I think reflex is the key. Apparently a wing with no tail needs reflex to counter a natural down pitch that a wing creates.
a tail on a conventional plane does that.
It can be done by shaping the trailing edge or using up elevator trim.

Thanks, I'.
Richard

ll pm you my email

Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE
Richard , I got a DVD with mine , with a "build manual" and it shows the CG at 11 inches from the TRAILING EDGE measured at the wing root (T/E... easier to measure it this way)

I also would try adding angle to the canard in small steps

PM me your email addy and I'll send any of these files to you (dont know how to get em up on here or I would)
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:57 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Gunna try to put em here

Well surprised myself , it works....not much help to anyone though
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:03 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Here's some more
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:10 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
ditto...................

Sorry guys thats it , I hope these are of some help
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:03 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Have you seen the video on the Haoye web site. Uploaded it for your viewing pleasure. Demonstrates the pusher version and then the EDF version. Has to be said it's a poor demonstration of a model that should be very aerobatic with those canards. I think they have left them in fixed position for these flights.

Haoye J10 (4 min 23 sec)

EDIT: Just looked at those instructions above. Truly awful CAD images. Reminds me of the FreeAir models I used to build when I started to fly electric many years ago.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:23 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Manual

Yeah , seen it.........The Chinese always seem to get something wrong , these are at least better than what some got , just the small exploded drawing , in some products the quality control is good , but they STILL get it wrong
The fan unit on mine wont fit , the fuse halves wont come together , so I have to try and sand the foam away some how till it does , dont know what else I'll find as I get thru it..anyone else found anything ???
My other pet hate is thread and nut forming ...the nuts are ALWAYS loose and strip if you tighten a bit past finger tight...I have substituted nylock nuts if I can find the right ones...