HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:52 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
Build Log
MicroSSX E/lite ARF build

I put this together last spring and flew it this summer, I finally got some time to do pic build. I wont go into details of stock build but what I do differantly and why. So here was my list. I wanted to get to under 5oz RTF with 4 premium servos. That is basically going to happen with purchase items since an ARF leaves little room to change model. With these items I flew it @ 4.7oz RTF and using flapperon mix to throttle it will slow flight amazingly slower than a single servo, as well as not fall out of the sky on edge at slow flight speeds.

Heres the purchase item list.
(4) Dymond 4.7g servos
(1) Composite MicroDan 10G 3D motor www.gobrushless.com
(1) M5 Rx 9g
(1) TB6 4g
(1) 2s Evo 350

First up the completed build pix RTF minus ESC.
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:58 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
Oh did I mention this had to be a suit case traveler? The model with one SHCS, and pushrods loosened, can disassemble into 3 main componenents.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:13 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
The motor mount was modified to accept a 8mm C/F tube mount of my own and secured permanent to OEM boom . The aluminum clamp is my own custom product as well. The landing gear is attached to the ply triangle with non waxed dental floss and Ca.

This motor is available in 2 differant KV winds one that can go to 10 amps, and one to 6 amps. I flew it with a TB 9 and the higher KV and it was to insane fast on 2s. I went with the lower Kv and propped to 6 amps is plenty.
As a composite motor the bearing tube and bell housing are of non metal construction, As well as a carbon rod prop shaft. A REAL animal.

Also viewable is the custom carbon flat stock that acts as a clamping vise to the wooden pads on the wing. The long velcro area in conjunction with the clamping action, allows for many differant weight motor, battery selections and shifting of proper c/g. Ive run 2s, 3s, 350-720MAH
Last edited by c/f; Mar 23, 2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:22 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
Now comes the removable servo pod, The servos are double sided taped to a Custom carbon fibre angle. The plywood pieces supplied in kit where used to make a removable boom mount as well as a servo bay. By depressing the rear lock in tab the servos can be removed easily as a unit. The RX is housed in fron bay of wing and wires pass through. The servos are of a prefect fit to also get locked into fron triangle AND boom once installed.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:26 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
Thats it.................

For some really creative flying I used rudder to aileron mix, flaperons to throttle mix, and 100% HYPER expo on the rudder, this allows for some extreme slo flight with automatic coordinated turning using aileron stick then using rudder it reacts even quicker.

In the end I think the rudder needs something more in design development to bring a higher dimension of hoverbatics.
Last edited by c/f; Mar 23, 2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:18 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Very Cool idea, Thanks for posting this.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member