http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=starwars
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:46 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
I think the problem with the side plates was that the centre of vertical area was in front of the centre of horizontal area - so when the CG was right for horizontal stability, it was unstable in yaw.

Yours has the horizontal area centred further forward, which might be the solution.

It might need a rudder too - 3D profile planes with lots of side area don't turn when you bank them - they just fly knife edge unless you steer them around with the rudder.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:57 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I'm guessing it won't have enough vertical tail surface... There's a bunch in the front, but little in the back, which will make it very unstable.

But, who's to know?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:43 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
I think you're right - looking at the top view the wing sticks out behind the sides, which stick out in front of the wing...

Is there any chance of moving the wing forwards or the sides back?

Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
That link with all the Star Wars stuff was neat I can't believe something the shape of the Falcon can actually fly(one more thing added to the ever increasing list of planes to build...)

I could move the the sides back, but I still crash(alot), especially with new planes. I set the sides far enough forward so that if I nose it in, the prop won't be the absolute first thing that gets bashed. I'm also a slave to looks over performance, that is I'll accept mediocre flight performance if it looks really cool Since they're abit flimsy, I imagine the side panels will get beat up pretty quick, when I replace them, I'll move them around abit to see what affect it has.

I'll maiden it Wednsday night at our weekly indoor session, so you should have a report in a few days
Bugman Jeff is online now Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:07 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Did you see the ComBAT? That was really good for bumping into things without breaking the prop, and looked a bit TIE-fighterish too. Mine did a reasonable knife-edge, even with most of the side area a long way back.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517997

This wasn't my one, BTW...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:03 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
That's mine!

I thought it looked familiar, at first, then I read your post
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:36 PM
Joined Jun 2005
20 Posts
Sorry a little off topic...

Yarrek,

Who doesn't remember Macross Plus or Robotech for that matter. Lots of aircraft that would be doable in those cartoons...Look at some of the f-14 builds or possibly the harpy. should be able to get some pretty close looking veritech's out of them.

Your going to make me get out my DVD collection now...

Brett
NW PILOT is offline Find More Posts by NW PILOT
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:45 PM
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
You might have just found the missing link!
Is that how the evolution went:
1. Jedi interceptor
2. ComBAT
3. Tie fighter
Yarrek is offline Find More Posts by Yarrek
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Well...
Maiden = Fail

Not Epic Fail though It always nosed over when trying to taxi on the ground, so we had to hand launch it. It had pleanty of power. It was VERY responsive. Too responsive, even with minimal control throws. Even with the big side panels, it climbed, dove, and rolled exceptionally well(and very quickly). Is seemed unstable, but I was flying fast in a small space, so I can't really tell. I doubt the CG was right either. I'm not a good enough flyer to have kept it under control, so I crashed a few times. Then my motor broke so I had to quit. Somehow(I think from sitting on it's side) my wing got warped, that I think that was a big part of the instability, and why it wouldn't ROG. No video either, but my camera man promised he'd be able to make it next week

Stay tuned for revisions
Bugman Jeff is online now Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Apr 06, 2008, 01:55 AM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Hey Jeff,
I enjoyed reading about your Tie fighter. Maybe a couple rudders will help. They can be your best friend sometimes as I have found out. Anyway Keep at it.
You gotta love Vader and his ship!
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Old Jun 01, 2008, 02:50 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
hey Bugman, I thought i would put a reply over here instead of on my thread.

I think the Interceptor will be a bit better for CG since it has the extended part in front. I DID add a rudder to mine. I had trouble getting my Klingon Bird of Prey flying because of a yaw issue. My redesign is not flying yet but in process. i put rudder and added a bunch of trailing surfaces to try to get it to fly stable. I think the TIE will be the same way.

I think i am going to go work on it now actually!!!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon