SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2001, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2001
9 Posts
Building a Flying wing from scratch

I have just recently entered the foamie construction scene.

I have made two flying wings and am currently refining my current version. I was wondering who has been making their own flying wings from scratch?

I have created a Excel spreadsheet for designing the wings and will send it to anyone interested.

To date I have been handlaunching the wing to get the CG and trim right, Last night tried it on my highstart. Wow did the wing ever go zooming!!! But it started oscillating and became uncontrollable on tow. I did land it in one piece though!

Just wondering who else is dabbling in this area and want to share what I have learned because its been a blast flying the wing.

Cheers

Lyndon

LyndonC is offline Find More Posts by LyndonC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2001, 05:34 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
Congratulations on building your own wing, what a pleasure when it flies well.
Simon has done a coulple scratch built for indoor use, see http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/rcindoor.htm
Have you tried steering with two motors ? Very good power to weight !
aeronutz is offline Find More Posts by aeronutz
Old Jun 29, 2001, 09:15 PM
santa ana ca usa
Joined Nov 2000
81 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LyndonC:
[B]I have just recently entered the foamie construction scene.

I have made two flying wings and am currently refining my current version. I was wondering who has been making their own flying wings from scratch?

I have created a Excel spreadsheet for designing the wings and will send it to anyone interested.

To date I have been handlaunching the wing to get the CG and trim right, Last night tried it on my highstart. Wow did the wing ever go zooming!!! But it started oscillating and became uncontrollable on tow. I did land it in one piece though!
LYNDON i have a red herrng le that i nave been bunjee haunching for several mo, these are great fun and go very high, but itis about 61/2oz and the best flight ive had is probialy only four times the time of a normal one.
I got a zagi thl and i modified it so the back of the wing is flat all the way across like the red herring, the first day i had two thermals, one took it up about four times the launch hight and it worked best making 10 to 15 ft circles almost standing on wing tip. im using 1/8 in tuging 25 ft , but i am also geting flap if ipull back to far,i think the vibration is at the rear edge of the wing, im going to get some cf strips and foam frenly ca and install it
about 1 in from back of wing
charles
charles packard is offline Find More Posts by charles packard