SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
12 Posts
Discussion
DX6i full featured?

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a DX6i to use with my first heli model, a mini titan with jeti spin 44A esc and gy401 gyro.

How does it compare to a more 'pro' controller like JR's X9303 2.4ghz?

Wonder if there are any limitations that may be critical?

Also... Can I use it with flight simulators like real flight g3.5? How does it connect to my PC?
benedium is offline Find More Posts by benedium
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2008, 01:09 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Well it has some eCCPM heli programming, as well as airplane programming, but not nearly what the far more expensive x9303 will give you.

it is said to work with any of the sims that will work with JR radios, it has the same connection and pulse train as the other JR radios.

That's about all I can tell you, hopefully someone that has one of these can offer more.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Mar 23, 2008, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
12 Posts
I'm not sure if it comes with the usb cable to connect to my pc for use with simulator softwares. Or does it accept a standard USB to USB cable? If not, where will I get the 'special' cable?

Sorry for my silly newbie questions.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
It uses the standard 1/8 inch buddy connection that all JR radios use, so it should work with any of the JR compatible cables. Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't have one of these radios. Somewhere in here is a thread by a Horizon Hobby employee that explains how the DX6i has the same trainer port connections as other JR radios.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:53 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,374 Posts
The DX6i is pretty good for a heli radio. It's got 5 point throttle and pitch curves, 2 flight modes and a timer, which are all pretty important.

The 9 channel radios have timers that start when you open the throttle, analogue sliders for other channels (that you won't use on a MT, but could be used for mixture control or ignition advance on an IC engine) and more programmable mixes, which (no offence) if you don't know what they are, you won't need for a while, and the 3 on the DX6i will do for a while longer.

The one place where the DX6i is weak is setting up sailplanes with 4-servo wings and complex flight modes - you'd have to do it yourself using the programmable mixes, whereas a better Tx would have them as predefined menu options and could manage more flight modes.

The other difference is that better radios have mode model memories - although by the time you have 10 models ready to fly, you'll be able to afford to upgrade your Tx and retire the DX6 to use as a buddy box.

All transmitters need a special interface cable to convert the signal from the buddy box socket into a USB joystick type signal. Although the transmitter brands all have different socket styles, the signal is similar so many companies make interface cables for all the radio brands. I got mine from www.rc-electronics.co.uk but there are plenty to choose from. There is even an almost free option - search for PPJoy - it uses your sound card to analyse the buddy box signal, so you just need an audio lead.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Mar 23, 2008, 06:23 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The X9303 works with the RealFlight G3/3.5 interlink. It also buddy boxes with the Polks Tracker-III with no problem (which means it will buddy box with any JR radio)

I've actually plugged those in and tested. (Tracker-III can buddy box with JR, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics.... great all around training aid)

That would indicate that JR/Spektrum 2.4 ghz radios should have no problems buddy boxing with any of the earlier JR radios. And they should work fine with any of the methods for operating a sim that have worked with other JR radios.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:34 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
The DX6i has only a few mixes. And for helis, no cyclic to throttle mix at all.

Also, if you ever go nitro, you may want a governor, and that means you need 7 ch.

The DX6i is a very nice entry level radio, but nowhere near the X9303.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:42 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
No cyclic/throttle mixing? Hmmm.... even for electrics that seems to be an important feature (at least for me). I often fool with the pitch curve because I don't fly 3d (heck I barely call what I do flying). Something like taking all the negative pitch away so that when I kill the throttle before a crash it doesn't suddenly get pushed into the ground from the negative pitch.

Or are you taking about the hover pitch mixing (or hover throttle mixing) that the 9C and 9303 offer?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Cyclic-throttle is a bare minimum requirement of ANY heli...

If you don't have cyclic-throttle mixing... you may as well not have any mixing when flying the heli. (I've tried that in 1983 {or was it 1985?}... its not fun... The engine survived... I still use it.)
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:35 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Cyclic-throttle is a bare minimum requirement of ANY heli...
I don't even know what you guys mean by cyclic-throttle mixing; the DX7 doesn't have anything called this either. Do you just mean how the left stick is mixed to control both pitch and throttle? Of course the DX6i does this.

The DX6i is perfectly adequate for flying a CCPM heli. As Robin said, the limitations are more for planes with more complex setups than ailerons/elevator/rudder.
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
I mistyped... I meant collective-throttle

Varying the throttle with the main blade pitch

The goal is constant "head speed" despite the changes in load on the motor/engine
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:55 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Varying the throttle with the main blade pitch
Isn't nearly everyone flying flat throttle curves and using a governor if they want constant head speed?

Anyway, you have as much control of this as possible by setting the pitch and throttle curves, which the DX6i does just fine.
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:28 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
A flat throttle curve is far from what will give constant head speed.

As the throttle opens more... it takes more throttle to increase the power the same amount. The last appx 20% of opening the carb barrel has very small effect. The first 10% has LOTS of effect.

A governor is adding cost... and is the ultimate in attempting to keep a constant head speed... You essentially TURN OFF the throttle channel of the radio and give the governor control of the engine.
Then... The GOVERNOR varies throttle with main blade pitch...
Doing just what most people attempt to do with multipoint throttle curves... without the cost of the governor added.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:31 PM
Joined Mar 2008
12 Posts
Anyone know if DX6i can change from the default mode2 to mode1?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
12 Posts
anyone know?